2011 997 gts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015 | 07:14 PM
sambb
Instructor

Default 2011 997 gts questions

a few questions
1. Is the sport suspension standard or an option
2. without the sport suspension, is the car the same height as an S?

I am concerned about the car being too low for a standard "curb"
I cannot enjoy a car that scrapes on the ground

3. Without the sport suspension, is the ride harsh? I read reviews that said that with the suspension it is a very harsh "track" ride. Is that true? Is it more forgiving without it?

I am looking at one without the sport suspension (i think), but cannot drive it as it is far away..
Sam
Old 02-17-2015 | 07:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Hi Sam,
1) It's an option
2) Yes, same height--10mm drop from standard

Edit: I'll add that another forum member assisted me with a similar question. Ground clearance from the center of the radiator is 5.75" with the lower H&R spring setup.

3) I have a '12 GTS (basically the same car) w/o SPASM. With PASM, it's the same ride height as the S which is to say 10mm lower than standard from what I've read and others have told me here. SPASM (the sport suspension) lowers the car a further 10mm (20mm lower total from standard). Many of the GTS owners here including myself find little difference in the 10mm vs 20mm drop and even others with the lowered Techart/Eibach springs (35mm total from standard) and H&R springs (42mm lower from standard) find there is little difference in ride comfort from stock 10mm lower.

The GTS is the most streetable performance 997 sitting just under the GT3. If you're looking at a 997.2 GTS w/o the sport suspension (PASM but not SPASM) it's the same car I drive around the city of Chicago with its notoriously poor roads and find the ride to be just fine.

Hope that helps... sandwedge may be able to help here too. And I hope I'm corrected if wrong here as I just bought mine a few weeks ago and this info is only a few months fresh for me.

GLWP!

Last edited by nwGTS; 02-17-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2015 | 08:25 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

^^^ Nothing to add other than you (nwGTS) are lucky not to have SPASM. When the 997.2 GTS was reviewed (Excellence) it was found to be better without SPASM and, in it's design and development it was never really intended to have this feature. It (SPASM) was a carry-over from the S and many (myself included) incorrectly concluded that Sport PASM would be better than just PASM. It's not that the reviews said it was a bad option, it is just that those who really know how to drive these cars found that the GTS was a bit better mannered (and preferable to them) without SPASM. (This from Excellence, not my opinion.)
Old 02-17-2015 | 08:50 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I think the opinions relative to the ride of SPASM depends on your starting point. Coming out of 10 year ownership/driving a 6GT3, I do not find the SPASM too harsh or unforgiving. In fact, my wife assures me it is much less harsh than the GT3.

When we decided to move to that kinder/gentler car I've spoken of the last few years, we drove C2s, C2Ses, and the GTS. No question in our minds (butts) that the GTS with SPASM was the right car for us. The others were too soft, IOHO.

YMMV
Old 02-17-2015 | 09:00 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

I don't have a GTS but do have a 997.2 CS with PASM...see my avatar

Adding to what has been said above I would add:

- with stock bumper the car will not scrape much at all in normal use and normal driveway/curb conditions - add a lower lip and yes it will scrape if you're not real careful
- the ride is firm, and the rear end can definitely hammer away (even in normal setting) if the tires are worn or you use harder sidewall, sportier tires, assuming you run at recommended pressures. Lower pressures can help a good bit. Tire choices matter a lot in affecting ride comfort. Of course if you want better handling/cornering you run a stiffer tire it will cost you on ride quality. For the road, I use Hankook V12 Evo's it is medium grip soft sidewall sport tire, they are quite comfortable. R compound track tires for track use are another story altogether.
Old 02-17-2015 | 10:23 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sambb
a few questions
1. Is the sport suspension standard or an option
2. without the sport suspension, is the car the same height as an S?

I am concerned about the car being too low for a standard "curb"
I cannot enjoy a car that scrapes on the ground

3. Without the sport suspension, is the ride harsh? I read reviews that said that with the suspension it is a very harsh "track" ride. Is that true? Is it more forgiving without it?

I am looking at one without the sport suspension (i think), but cannot drive it as it is far away..
Sam
I have the same exact car as the one you're looking at except mine is lowered on H&R springs. Ride is just fine and no different than stock to my senses or to my wife's senses for that matter which should tell you something. She typically only rides in my car when headed for dinner or a party which means makeup is fine tuned using the mirror in the visor. If that works with no complaints how bad can it be?

As for ground clearance, the only time it's an issue is with unusually steep driveways but even those can be negotiated if approached at an angle. And that's with the H&R drop which is 1.25" lower than stock.

Quick Reply: 2011 997 gts questions