997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Non S regret ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015 | 05:16 PM
robh75
Instructor

[QUOTE=997at;12026343]Watch this vid...………….in some ways the non-S is preferred on the track.

Great explanation of why bigger wheels are not necessarily better for performance. Often, it is for cosmetic reasons that wheels have gotten so big these days. If given a choice between 18" and 19" wheels on any 997 Carrera I would take the 18" wheels. Better grip on the track and more comfortable / less noisy ride on the street.
Old 02-09-2015 | 05:30 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I guess I should have added one more item, but remember I am a bit on the power-crazy side.

So yes, I first had a non-S and regretted not getting an S. My first car was a 997.1 C4. My craving for power caused me to move up to a 997.2 C2S only ten months later. Note that this was a bigger step than you may be asking about since it moved me from a .1 to a .2 as well as adding the S (an additional 50HP plus more low end torque). Fortunately the dealer made me a deal that helped with the quick trade-up since I bought the first car at the same place. This may not be pertinent in your case if you aren't coming out of an even faster vehicle.
Old 02-09-2015 | 05:31 PM
chefc4s
Rennlist Member

Default 997.2 non S

Just picked up a 2009 non S with PDK.
I'm a dyed in the wool clutch guy, alway a 4,5,6 sp
Blown away with the power and lightning shifts with PdK with the sport chrono on full tilt.
Really couldn't be happier in this price point.
Plenty fast for on ramp and hwy 33 (SoCal) curvy roads.
Kevin
Old 02-09-2015 | 05:35 PM
DonJuan
Instructor

I wouldn't say mod the crap out of it but personalize it for more visceral experience.

For those who came from m3 would you say 997 is better choice ? My son and my friends say I should get e92 m3 over 997.

Going for base 997.2 is out of my budget for now.

Are S model brakes sufficient for track use ?

All you guys have been a great help
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:20 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

You can't afford an S model but planning to mod for more power??? I don't understand the logic behind that, someone already mention no matter how much you spend to add power, you still can't get more than factory S model. IMO get the S and do the exhaust and you done.
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:26 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

No, standard C2 Cab here. It has more than enough power but I wasn't looking for a track or race car; if I was I would have gone for a coupe. I've driven a S, is there a difference? Of course but it's not day or night. Now a Turbo or GTS is a differnt ball of wax.
Old 02-09-2015 | 07:35 PM
jcourtney997
Advanced

Whatever floats your boat, but I'd focus on condition of the car over anything else. I'd be fine with an S with twice as many miles for the same price as a non S with fewer - if they are in the same condition. It will be unlikely that you get a warranty anyway. My advice - drive at least four cars before pulling the trigger. The options are endless and it's easy to fall in love with the first one you drive. You'll notice more things you like the more you drive ... but then you'll want it all of course.
Old 02-09-2015 | 09:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dersono
Do you guys with non S cars regret not buying S model? I'm in the market and have seen a few well priced non S models (997.1). I do plan to attend occasional track day.
It depends. I regret somewhat i did not get a gt3 car. As of 's' car - i needed none from what 's' car comes with and do not care. But i knew i will replace most of what non-s car comes with. If you want a factory built package then best thing to have is a 997.2 gts with sport chrono. But it will cost twice as much as my car costs including all rebuilds.
Old 02-09-2015 | 09:37 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dersono
I wouldn't say mod the crap out of it but personalize it for more visceral experience.

For those who came from m3 would you say 997 is better choice ? My son and my friends say I should get e92 m3 over 997.

Going for base 997.2 is out of my budget for now.

Are S model brakes sufficient for track use ?

All you guys have been a great help
Brakes in nonS or S is not an issue. Just use proper track pads.

One thing should be clear - you want a fast good track car - buy a prepped track car, nasa gts4 or gts3 car. That would be typically a e36 or e46 m3 based build. E92 is not a good choice.
E46 is cheap to repair, cheap on consumables and fun to drive.

997 is head and shoulders above any m3 chassis wise. just do not try to compare stock 997.1 with a e46 gts4 proper track car.
997 is not cheap to repair neither not very cheap on consumables. Base car is cheaper on consumables than S car and S car is cheaper than gt3.
Any 997 platform based car can be build incredibly fun to drive.
Old 02-09-2015 | 11:10 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

I have a non-S. I drove many cars S and non S and it was difficult to really tell and appreciable difference in power.

If you love the 19 wheels get the S (I was planning to buy aftermarket wheels anyway).

PASM is worth it in my opinion for track use but my non-S had it as an option.

I think if you can afford a 997.2 non S, I'd take that over a 997.1 S.

Brakes are totally fine s or non-s though if you're using them aggressively at the track the drilled rotors will likely micro crack. You'll have to switch them to slotted rotors.

Some S cars have the switchable exhaust which may be worth it if you are focused on the sound of the exhaust.

For power reasons alone I don't think the S car is worth it. If you're worried about power start thinking about a GTS. When I think about stepping up from my non s car I never think about getting the S. I think about a GTS or GT3.

Don't worry about the power of the car at track days. Every time I go to the track there is always someone with a GT3 that I'm passing or someone with a cayman that is passing me. At the non-pro level you're going to find that skill is a bigger part of the equation than HP.
Old 02-09-2015 | 11:25 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

I can't see what power difference one could tell between the two.

I would have gotten a non-s but couldn't find one with PASM. I like PASM a lot, super comfy in normal and good stiff in sport. The ride height drop is a big plus too.
Old 02-10-2015 | 09:06 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

No complaints at all but I also have a race car.
Old 02-10-2015 | 11:32 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love my plain jane non S car. In all fairness it has Bose, power seats, 19" wheels, PASM etc.
I drove an S and yes it was really nice specially the brakes but I have not felt the need for more power on the street and I flog her like a red headed step child. With Fisters on it sounds just about perfect. I upgraded my steering wheel, added CF interior trim, some cool aluminum pedals, custom floor mats, LEDs all around and a wing and she is just about perfect. Debating on wheels and suspension but I do sometimes scrape my front lip spoiler at least twice a week so doubt I will go lower.
I would have rather have a GT3 but with kids that was never going to work.
Short of an 11 or 12 6 Speed GTS or GT3 I have no plans on moving to a different 911.

Honestly I am just happy as a pig in **** that I am able to climb into my car everyday and drive my childhood dream car to work
Old 02-10-2015 | 11:49 AM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

This may or may not answer your question, but I regret buying an S. If I could go back and do it again I'd hold out for a turbo or GT model. YMMV
Old 02-10-2015 | 03:08 PM
DonJuan
Instructor

GotGolf
I am modding for sound not speed... main thing that I want is nice exhaust sound. Plus reduce weight.

How many non S guys track your car? And what if any upgrades you do?

Quick Reply: 997.1 Non S regret ?