997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on purchasing my first Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015 | 08:34 PM
iamthestig
4th Gear

Default Advise on purchasing my first Porsche.

After months of research I'm ready to buy my first Porsche. I found on Auto Trader a 2007 997 Carrera S. I found a non-pdk car that's not heavily optioned. I'm hoping this is the way to go. Any input would be awesome.

Last edited by iamthestig; 02-07-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2015 | 11:06 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

More correctly, you found a non-Tiptonic, but we know what you mean.
Your question is extremely open-ended. At this point I'd say, if you love the 911, and the '07 S is where you are comfortable financially, then you have settled into good territory.

Spend more, get a point 2. Spend the same and maybe get an '08 non-S. Spend the same and maybe get a 996 Turbo. The options are too abundant until you narrow down your requirements.
Old 02-08-2015 | 02:54 AM
jcourtney997
Advanced

Enjoy the search. Drive a few first. You'll feel it. Just don't rush it.
Old 02-08-2015 | 11:37 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

I have a 2007 997.1 C2 as my first Pcar and love it, no regrets what so ever
Old 02-08-2015 | 01:48 PM
iamthestig
4th Gear

Stick or Tip?
Old 02-08-2015 | 03:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by iamthestig
After months of research I'm ready to buy my first Porsche. I found on Auto Trader a 2007 997 Carrera S. I found a non-pdk car that's not heavily optioned. I'm hoping this is the way to go. Any input would be awesome.
Just general input...

Buy the best example you can find and afford.

If this particular car is it so be it.

Be sure you give the car a through used car check out.

This starts or should start with you visiting the car cold and starting the engine and letting it idle while you then walk around the car checking the body/paint but at the same time listening to the engine for any disturbing noises.

When you turn on the key be sure all the warning lights come on and then go off when the engine fires and runs. This includes the CEL!

Be sure the A/C is off. You test this later.

After say 10 minutes of idling then have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should be around 15 miles in length and should give the driver an opportunity to demo the car as you will use it.

This includes some city driving, stop and go driving, steady speed cruising at low to moderate speeds, some hard acceleration runs at least one up through a couple of gears, and some hard braking.

After the test ride back at the starting point with the engine still idling -- you really want the engine up to temp and to remain there for as long as possible -- you take the car out and drive over the same route, drive the car the same way.

After your test drive back at the starting point then give the car a thorough used car check out. Assume nothing works until you have confirmed it does work.

After all of the above if you still like the car and believe you can buy it for an agreeable sum of money then arrange for a PPI. This should be done by someone who *knows* these cars inside and out and who ideally has no fiduciary interest or connection with car or the seller.

What you want is the car's DME over rev counters read along with the engine run times and total run time. Even if the car is a Tip or PDK you should still have these over rev counters read and the PPI should go over with you what these values mean even if they are the most benign values ever read from the DME.

The PPI should also have the car in the air so the guy can carefully inspect the car for any signs of accident damage/repair and check for any leaks. Every hose, hose connection, seal, o-ring, gasket or hydraulic line or fitting gets checked for leak sign. This is done after the test ride and drive to give any leak a chance to show itself when the PPI is done.
Old 02-08-2015 | 03:59 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Macster - very good informative info, in fact, I love reading everything you wrote in this forum and on 6speedonline. You seem like a very knowledgeable car enthusiast and a lawyer, both are compliments
Old 02-08-2015 | 09:13 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Macster - very good informative info, in fact, I love reading everything you wrote in this forum and on 6speedonline. You seem like a very knowledgeable car enthusiast and a lawyer, both are compliments
Macster the Manster! ;-)

P.S. We bought our car from Porsche of Livermore. It was originally registered in Westchester, NY -- probably bought @ auction.
Old 02-08-2015 | 10:34 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Excellent advice from macster as always. I'll add that having the owner drive first helps you focus on the car's behavior and avoid sensory overload. You can also get a sense of how owner treats the car and if he or she shifts properly. I followed this strategy myself. Knowing the driving route helped me later as well.

I'll never forget sitting at stoplight chatting with owner and then remembering jeez the engine is really in the back. And how good that was and how good it sounded. I was sold. After getting back to his house, we washed the car. A great experience.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2015 | 12:03 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Really great advice....I'm new here and also looking at my first p-car purchase. Its time. Three almost outa college, biz is doing well.

So.....Is the mcmaster at Porsche of Livermore? I've heard alot of good from that dealership...

06 to 08 Carrera S, mt, Gray (meteor)....

Sorry for the threadjack, great info
Old 02-14-2015 | 06:27 PM
iamthestig
4th Gear

Thanks for the great advice everyone. After more research I'm gonna look for a manual 997.2
Old 02-14-2015 | 07:41 PM
911forme
AutoX

Very good advice from Macster and others. I went through a similar process and bought the best car my budget allowed. It is a 2009 997.2 S Manual. I drove several models from 07 - 10 and found the perfectly optioned car for what I wanted to spend. The entire process for my serious car search took about 9 months. I read everything I could here and on 6speed online. I talked to a lot of very nice and knowledgeable Pcar people. Be patient, learn a lot, and enjoy the search - your car is out there.
Old 02-14-2015 | 10:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
Thanks. You are very kind.

Not a lawyer. Software/firmware engineer.

Oh, and an car enthusiast.
Old 02-14-2015 | 10:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikes70
Really great advice....I'm new here and also looking at my first p-car purchase. Its time. Three almost outa college, biz is doing well.

So.....Is the mcmaster at Porsche of Livermore? I've heard alot of good from that dealership...

06 to 08 Carrera S, mt, Gray (meteor)....

Sorry for the threadjack, great info
I have no connection with Porsche of Livermore, or any Porsche dealer for that matter, other than I use Porsche of Livermore for almost all my Porsche car servicing/repair needs. 'bout the only time I don't use this dealer is if I'm out of the area.

Quick Reply: Advise on purchasing my first Porsche.