Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I just had Michelin Pilot Super Sports put on my 997.2S. Car handles noticeably better. I suspect that this is partially a function of the previous tires having been a bit worn & out of balance. But, one week and about two hundred miles later, I am loving the MPSSs!
T
Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 AM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently installed a set. Really enjoying them. Great grip and good ride quality. My only dislike is purely aesthetic: the rim guard on the rears is huge. The depth of it almost makes the tire look too big for the rim. I preferred the more stretched look of the Bridgestone sidewalls. I am used to it now but it did bug me at first!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TCZ
I recently installed a set. Really enjoying them. Great grip and good ride quality. My only dislike is purely aesthetic: the rim guard on the rears is huge. The depth of it almost makes the tire look too big for the rim. I preferred the more stretched look of the Bridgestone sidewalls. I am used to it now but it did bug me at first!
That is interesting, because I had Bridgestone RE970 A/S tires on my car for winter and the rear tires had the stretched look, which I really hated. That look made the tires appear to be the wrong size on the wheel. The front Bridgestone tires didn't look like that.

I am glad to have the MPSS back on the car, both for the handling and the aesthetics.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I autocross with a few guys that run the PSS (mostly 'vettes and E92 M3s), and they say they're alright.

I'd rather go with the new crop of Japanese and Korean extreme performance tires for competition street tires, though, they don't have many offerings in 295+ section widths or 19" diameters.

Which is why I'm keeping my Carrera IIIs around!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I put MPSS on my previous daily driver (2007 335i w/ Sport). They lasted twice as long as any other tire I put on that car, *however*, as they aged they lost a decent amount of grip. It became easy to spin the rear tires. On the plus side, they remained completely quiet/silent even after 20K miles.

Not sure if I'll jump on the MPSS bandwagon with the pcar. I'm not a track junkie but it'd be nice if they didn't turn to mush on a track day which MPSS seem prone to do. I've still gotta wear through one more rear set of N-rated RE050A before i make a decision.. rears wear 2X as quick as fronts...i think... and I don't want a mismatched set of rubber on this car. that'd be way too ghetto.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:02 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Late to this thread ... I run PSS as my daily tire and as my wet track tire. The extended wear is excellent and handling is fine = very good to excellent on a wet track too. I have run them on the track in dry conditions and they are ok but Nittos NT01 much better. I'd buy PSS again as the street tire without any concerns. PS2 is also a fine tire, but the wear rate is quite a bit faster than PSS, at least that was the case with my PS2 N1. Maybe newer versions are better - I see Tire Rack has N2's.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 PM
wem
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPSS 295s out of stock everywhere

Need tires but MPSS is out of stock, can't even order them. Anyone with first hand knowledge rolling 305 30 19s? Any performance differences?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

305/30/19 will work on the 11" rears. In fact, the 305 is designed to fit an 11" wide wheel, while ithe 295 is designed for 10.5" wheel. The tires can be mounted on a wheel that is 0.5" wider or narrower that the measured rim width.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:22 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I got a set installed at a Porsche dealer last week. Expensive at a dealership, of course, but if you want MPSSs, may be worth a call or two to local dealers?
T
Old 04-12-2015, 01:12 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have them on my GT3 and so far so good. Also on my E39 M5 and love the grip. No noise at all
Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on my 3rd or 4th set of rears - I forget (and who's counting) and my 2nd set of fronts. I think they're the best, but my wear out cycle is unfortunately timed that when my 2nd set of rears wears out, the tires are on backorder and I end up going crazy trying to find some. Last week, I found 1 rear in Pleasanton and 1 rear in Mountain View- I had the one in Pleasanton delivered locally, but had to go down to Mountain View to pick up the other one - Next time they come out of backorder I'm going to buy a set to store.

I think they're awesome tires. I got about 10,000 miles off the first set of rears - considering how I use them (mostly twisty roads, never commuting) I think that's amazing.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Einmalig
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 71 Posts

I have about 5k street only miles on my 997.1 GT3 with the super sports and they are wearing well. Quieter and better riding than PS2 or Sport Cups and better in the wet. Less dry weather grip than some tires but worth the trade off for street use or occasional track days. I would buy again without hesitation.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having recently changed from PS2's to PSS...I'll chime in. First off, I've got 305's on 11" rims and really like the look, makes the shoulder look very square and "race car" track tire looking, vs the round slightly stretched look of the PS2's.

The PS2's are a LOT stiffer sidewall, so if you like the go kart side to side instant transition feel, I would stick with PS2's. They're also more forgiving if you're not good about keeping your tire pressures right/high. The PS2's grip like MAD, I mean insanely well on the street, pushing them about as hard as you can safely push them railing around. They also chatter like crazy off the line they grip so well, if you're into launching your car at all. What I found was they grip and GRIP, then let loose abruptly when you're trying to oversteer a bit, you lift, they catch and snap the car back.

The PSS on the other hand, to my seat of the pants, feel more progressive. They let loose sooner, but do so evenly and give you a little taste of understeer sooner, BUT you can keep your foot in it and drift it a little more without the the abrupt catching and releasing. When I first installed these, I wasn't running pressures high enough all the time and the car felt VERY weird over 90 mph, wandering all over, like it was toed out too much. At 110 it was downright freaky!! I even put my PS2's and stock wheels back on to see if I was loosing my mind or if my recent lowering springs or alignment were to blame. Put the PS2's back on it was perfect...go kart feel was back, high speed stability, etc. After some posting and research, it was evident I wasn't running my pressures high enough. The softer sidewall of the PSS is not near as forgiving with lower pressures, so the tires just wallow around. 39 front/42 rear is roughly where I'm at or slightly higher, when WARM.

So I guess it depends on how you drive more than anything. I'm a hoon, I'll admit it. I'm not dangerous, or constantly driving like an a$$hole, but I'm not like 90% of the other P car owners I see that are driving them like Camrys. If you regularly exceed 100 mph in bursts here and there and corner hard, and a little more dough isn't going to kill you, then I would stick with PS2's. My car is primarily point A to point A. HOWEVER, if you're daily driving, maybe some rain here and there, aren't driving hard then the PSS is a great tire. They are quieter and a little smoother, but I'm in the minority that liked the hard road feel of the PS2's...and most definitely the stability at high speed. I am warming up to them, but if someone offered to trade me and I pay the difference I'd go back to PS2's in a heart beat. Hoping to get to the track with the PSS this year.

Last edited by wheeler; 04-12-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:30 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
Having recently changed from PS2's to PSS...I'll chime in. First off, I've got 305's on 11" rims and really like the look, makes the shoulder look very square and "race car" track tire looking, vs the round slightly stretched look of the PS2's.

The PS2's are a LOT stiffer sidewall, so if you like the go kart side to side instant transition feel, I would stick with PS2's. They're also more forgiving if you're not good about keeping your tire pressures right/high. The PS2's grip like MAD, I mean insanely well on the street, pushing them about as hard as you can safely push them railing around. They also chatter like crazy off the line they grip so well, if you're into launching your car at all. What I found was they grip and GRIP, then let loose abruptly when you're trying to oversteer a bit, you lift, they catch and snap the car back.

The PSS on the other hand, to my seat of the pants, feel more progressive. They let loose sooner, but do so evenly and give you a little taste of understeer sooner, BUT you can keep your foot in it and drift it a little more without the the abrupt catching and releasing. When I first installed these, I wasn't running pressures high enough all the time and the car felt VERY weird over 90 mph, wandering all over, like it was toed out too much. At 110 it was downright freaky!! I even put my PS2's and stock wheels back on to see if I was loosing my mind or if my recent lowering springs or alignment were to blame. Put the PS2's back on it was perfect...go kart feel was back, high speed stability, etc. After some posting and research, it was evident I wasn't running my pressures high enough. The softer sidewall of the PSS is not near as forgiving with lower pressures, so the tires just wallow around. 39 front/42 rear is roughly where I'm at or slightly higher, when WARM.

So I guess it depends on how you drive more than anything. I'm a hoon, I'll admit it. I'm not dangerous, or constantly driving like an a$$hole, but I'm not like 90% of the other P car owners I see that are driving them like Camrys. If you regularly exceed 100 mph in bursts here and there and corner hard, and a little more dough isn't going to kill you, then I would stick with PS2's. My car is primarily point A to point A. HOWEVER, if you're daily driving, maybe some rain here and there, aren't driving hard then the PSS is a great tire. They are quieter and a little smoother, but I'm in the minority that liked the hard road feel of the PS2's...and most definitely the stability at high speed. I am warming up to them, but if someone offered to trade me and I pay the difference I'd go back to PS2's in a heart beat. Hoping to get to the track with the PSS this year.

Yeah , I think I'm going to stick with the PS2s.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Michelin Pilot Super Sports?