Sponsored by:

AppleCar Play and Mod Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
BrownGill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool AppleCar Play and Mod Exhaust

I have been driving a 997S now for about a week as my daily driver. I love it. It is much different from the air cooled but still fun. I am looking forward to learning more about the car in this forum.

I have two main points of interest.

I am considering installing a Pioneer system running AppleCar Play and removing the stock head unit. My guy has a matching aftermarket bezel. I have seen pictures and it looks great. For the guys that have used the Apple Car Play system, what do you think? Is it a hassle to plug it in? How does the map, messages and phone system work? DO you actually use any of them?

My father is considering changing the exhaust on his 2007 997S. He has been looking at Fabspeed and VR. I know there are many threads on the subject. I just wanted to know what you thought gave the most bang-for-the-buck? What other light mods to the 997 had the most effect on the car's sound, handling, and responsiveness "for the money?"
Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no expert and I have not personally tried Car Play. But base on what I read, it still has only very limited app support. I dont think Google Maps and Waze are supported yet (and I still can't trust Apple's Maps yet), I've switched to Spotify for music and it was still very buggy. At the end I decided to put an iPad Mini (with Dension'Gateway) and I have full access to all the apps, as well as phone calls with my iPhone via Bluetooth.

For exhaust, search for "Gundo" which is probably the most popular exhaust hack that is the best bang for the buck. I got the Cargraphic muffler about a year ago. And I took the stock muffler for Gundo-hack recently, so I might put those on and see if there's any difference.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Peyote
AutoX

Much like the first iphone with iOS, I think Apple's Carplay is only going to get better. I'm also interested and would like to hear more reviews. Here in LA a place called Del Rey Customs offers the hardware and install. They have videos on their site. Beyond that source I haven't seen a lot of videos of its use, or any real solid 3rd party independent reviews. From what I can tell it works great but I'd like to see more reviews. Hopefully someone here can elaborate more.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:29 PM
BrownGill
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peyote
Much like the first iphone with iOS, I think Apple's Carplay is only going to get better. I'm also interested and would like to hear more reviews. Here in LA a place called Del Rey Customs offers the hardware and install. They have videos on their site. Beyond that source I haven't seen a lot of videos of its use, or any real solid 3rd party independent reviews. From what I can tell it works great but I'd like to see more reviews. Hopefully someone here can elaborate more.
I have been doing some research since my first post. There are two 7 inch screens one by Alpine and the other Pioneer. The pioneer has no buttons which I like bc it does not disturb the design language of the current unit. Pioneer AppRadio 4 also has bluetooth in addition to plugging it in and an HDMI input. Alpine has non of those things. I have chosen to go with the Pioneer. If you Youtube Pioneer AppRadio 4 v. the Alpine (can't remember the name) you can see all kinds of 3rd party reviews. Install is Monday. No wires are cut. I can always put the original head unit back in. We will see how it goes. I will post pics and a review after I have used it a bit. By the way, I am having trouble with pictures and Rennlist.

Quick Reply: AppleCar Play and Mod Exhaust