Sponsored by:

GTS Interior Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:55 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
A major limitation in my cars handling is based on the inability to stay anchored in the seat ...
I would slip and slide in my Corvette Z06. The side bolsters were crap and the leather was slippery. I had to lock the seatbelt just to be somewhat held in place. I have not felt that way at all in my GTS, and now that it's been mentioned, I do think the Alcantara helps the bolsters hold me in snug.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:35 PM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To tell you the truth, I prefer the alcantara or even a cloth interior over leather. Where I am it gets down to 25F in the winter and over 110F in the summer. Leather gets very hot and slippery. On my GTI with the tartan cloth interior, no matter how hot it was, the seats remained comfortable and non-slip. Other than the snob appeal of leather, it really has little practical value for my area. YMMV.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beden1
I would slip and slide in my Corvette Z06. The side bolsters were crap and the leather was slippery. I had to lock the seatbelt just to be somewhat held in place. I have not felt that way at all in my GTS, and now that it's been mentioned, I do think the Alcantara helps the bolsters hold me in snug.
That's not a seat material issue, that is a crappy GM design issue. The 84-96 seats were great at holding occupants in place, especially in high G maneuvers. GM got tired of the constant complaining of fat bloated old people and designed a seat that it was easy to get into. The result was the C5 seats and the C6 seats. Look at most C5's and the ones that have been tracked the speaker enclosure is dented from people having to use their knee to brace them in place.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
That's not a seat material issue, that is a crappy GM design issue. The 84-96 seats were great at holding occupants in place, especially in high G maneuvers. GM got tired of the constant complaining of fat bloated old people and designed a seat that it was easy to get into. The result was the C5 seats and the C6 seats. Look at most C5's and the ones that have been tracked the speaker enclosure is dented from people having to use their knee to brace them in place.
I had a C5 and C6 Z06 and the seats in both had no lateral support at all. But, the smooth leather didn't help either. I haven't sat in a C7 as yet but many are complaining the seats are too confining. I guess these may be the people you were referring to?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a C5 and C6 Z06 and the seats in both had no lateral support at all. But, the smooth leather didn't help either. I haven't sat in a C7 as yet but many are complaining the seats are too confining. I guess these may be the people you were referring to?
GM can't win. The seem to go from one extreme to the other. I didn't like the C7 seats either.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Tell that to Ferrari. They use Alcantara in their $200K+ cars.
Look this topic up on Fchat...many people complain there too...
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Since I started this thread, I thought I needed to give you an update on what I decided. I did decide to trade my 2012 997 GTS in on a 991 GTS. I loved the 997 GTS, but I have had it for 3.5 years and was ready for something new.

After much debate with myself, I decided to go with the Alcantara interior, but not the standard interior. On the 991 GTS Porsche offers something called the GTS Interior Communication Package. It is used to extract $4,100 from your wallet. Sounds like electronic or something, but it is an interior package. It looks fantastic. It is primarily black, but with accents in either Carmine Red (the one I chose), or Rhodium Silver. The package comes with alcantara seat inserts and portions of the door panels and lower dash. But it also includes leather dash, tops of door panels, seat bolsters, and some other leather bits. The leather has beautiful contrasting Carmine Red stitching. GTS is embroidered in Carmine Red on the seatback head rests.

The package also comes with carbon fiber trim of dash, console, and doors. The seat belts have Carmine Red trim on them, along with the carpeted floor mats. It is a very attractive package, but it should be for the price. I take very good care of my cars, so I am hoping that I don't have any issues with the Alcantara.

I have attached a picture of the car, and the interior. It is hard to see all the detail of the interior of the pictures, but some of it is visible.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 04-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Since I started this thread, I thought I needed to give you an update on what I decided. I did decide to trade my 2012 997 GTS in on a 991 GTS. I loved the 997 GTS, but I have had it for 3.5 years and was ready for something new.

After much debate with myself, I decided to go with the Alcantara interior, but not the standard interior. On the 991 GTS Porsche offers something called the GTS Interior Communication Package. It is used to extract $4,100 from your wallet. Sounds like electronic or something, but it is an interior package. It looks fantastic. It is primarily black, but with accents in either Carmine Red (the one I chose), or Rhodium Silver. The package comes with alcantara seat inserts and portions of the door panels and lower dash. But it also includes leather dash, tops of door panels, seat bolsters, and some other leather bits. The leather has beautiful contrasting Carmine Red stitching. GTS is embroidered in Carmine Red on the seatback head rests.

The package also comes with carbon fiber trim of dash, console, and doors. The seat belts have Carmine Red trim on them, along with the carpeted floor mats. It is a very attractive package, but it should be for the price. I take very good care of my cars, so I am hoping that I don't have any issues with the Alcantara.

I have attached a picture of the car, and the interior. It is hard to see all the detail of the interior of the pictures, but some of it is visible.
Congrats on your new car. Aside from just wanting a new car and a very nice interior, is there anything the 991 GTS does better than your 997.2 GTS?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Congrats on your new car. Aside from just wanting a new car and a very nice interior, is there anything the 991 GTS does better than your 997.2 GTS?
I really can't say because it has been raining here since I bought it and haven't driven it, except for the 20 mile trip home form the dealer. I think it is safe to say that some of the comparisons that have been made of the the 997 and 991 in general are true. The 991 is definitely a little smoother, quieter, more GT like, but still very much a 911. I also made the change from manual to PDK. I have been driving manual 911's since the mid 1980's, so this will be the biggest change for me. I just wanted to try one, and I think I am going to like it a lot.

I will try and provide more detailed comparison info after I have driven the car some more.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Congratulations. Post more pictures and please keep us up to date with your thoughts and observations.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM
beden1
Pro

I really can't say because it has been raining here since I bought it and haven't driven it, except for the 20 mile trip home form the dealer. I think it is safe to say that some of the comparisons that have been made of the the 997 and 991 in general are true. The 991 is definitely a little smoother, quieter, more GT like, but still very much a 911. I also made the change from manual to PDK. I have been driving manual 911's since the mid 1980's, so this will be the biggest change for me. I just wanted to try one, and I think I am going to like it a lot.

I will try and provide more detailed comparison info after I have driven the car some more.
Thanks. I have a BMW 335is convertible I keep in Florida that has a dual clutch transmission. It is a slick system but I do miss not having a manual transmission. I got it because my wife also drives it and she no longer enjoys a MT.

I think it all depends on where you live as to whether a manual transmission is more fun than a PDK. In Florida, where the roads are straight and flat, a manual transmission is kind of a wasted effort. In PA where I have my Porsche, the manual transmission is much more fun and involving, to me at least, because we have numerous back country winding roads and hills, etc.

Last edited by beden1; 01-27-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

That's good you got the S then. I don't think they offered Alacantara in the base series models.
Yes I am glad I got the S, because Porsche didn't offer the alcantara seating on the S models. I believe a steering wheel and a shifter in alcantara were options though.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new GTS! I have seen the new alcantara interior with the red stitching and it is stunning in person.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great looking car. Congrats!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yikes. Today when our GTS was at the dealer for a brake fluid flush/change my loaner car was a Nissan Altima coupe. Guess what the car interior's major surface covering was: Alcantara!!! Or at least for sure that's what it looked and felt like to me. But I still like it.

Quick Reply: GTS Interior Question