Sponsored by:

GTS Interior Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:41 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmz
In my experience, alcantara wears way faster than leather. Especially in contact areas liek the steering wheel. I had an alcantara steering wheels in my old M3 and it started to look really bad after a year (It started to bubble, similar to the pic below) . I replaced it with a new one and same thing happened again after a year. I ended up going with leather replacement instead and the leather wheel still looked good after 3 years when I sold the car.

BMW had many problems with their version of Alcantara. It is not the same as what Porsche uses. What were you doing to the steering wheel to make it wear like this? I've seen other pictures of BMW Alacantara steering wheels having problems, but nothing comes remotely close to what you're showing here. Were you scrubbing it with scotch brite?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duplicate Post
Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
BMW had many problems with their version of Alcantara. It is not the same as what Porsche uses.
Could be a different type material, but if BMW said it was Alcantara, it should have been Alcantara. Alcantara is a registered trademark and I am pretty sure it is all made by an Italian manufacturer. I guess there could be different grades of the material, but I don't think it can be called Alcantara if it is not.

By the way, Alcantara is mostly polyester, a material which doesn't exactly bring "high quality" to ones mind, if that matters.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:27 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
+1 If given the choice, alcantara delete for me
Same here, all day long.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Our local dealer just got an absolutely beautiful GTS. Almost made me go home and plead a case to my wife in spite of how much I love my C4S.

But the Alcantara turned me off. Just me, but as an old school type, I'll take mine in leather.

To be absolutely honest, I wouldn't really swap my 997.2 for a 991!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I just don't get Alcantara…I certainly wouldn't pick it over leather.

Tom
My exact thoughts . . .
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Our local dealer just got an absolutely beautiful GTS. Almost made me go home and plead a case to my wife in spite of how much I love my C4S.

But the Alcantara turned me off. Just me, but as an old school type, I'll take mine in leather.

To be absolutely honest, I wouldn't really swap my 997.2 for a 991!
Same here. I am trying to convince myself that the alcantara is OK, but just can't do it. I am also not sure I really want to trade my pristine 2012 GTS with 9,300 miles on a 991 GTS either. But I do have a case of the new car fever that I am trying to cure without taking the ultimate remedy.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 01-23-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by dmz
In my experience, alcantara wears way faster than leather. Especially in contact areas liek the steering wheel. I had an alcantara steering wheels in my old M3 and it started to look really bad after a year (It started to bubble, similar to the pic below) . I replaced it with a new one and same thing happened again after a year. I ended up going with leather replacement instead and the leather wheel still looked good after 3 years when I sold the car.
You need to have that checked by the CDC for Ebola - damn.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3

Same here. I am trying to convince myself that the alcantara is OK, but just can't do it. I am also not sure I really want to trade my pristine 2012 GTS with 9,300 miles on a 991 GTS either. But I do have a case of the new car fever that I am trying to cure without taking the ultimate remedy.
MessyMarvin posted a thread a couple days ago on "almost traded." Read this, then ask yourself whether you want to trade. Any trade should be up, not lateral or down. If you like comfort and GT, your new car fever may be valid. Check yourself. No matter what, you win!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
MessyMarvin posted a thread a couple days ago on "almost traded." Read this, then ask yourself whether you want to trade. Any trade should be up, not lateral or down. If you like comfort and GT, your new car fever may be valid. Check yourself. No matter what, you win!
Thanks. I just read it and I have to say that his experience has mirrored mine. I also test drove a 2012 997.2 Turbo S when I was at my dealership driving the 991 GTS. The Turbo was fast, but other than that, my response to it was exactly the same as MessyMarvin's.

I also feel about the way he does about getting rid of my 997.2 GTS. Every time I get back in it, or just walk by it and look at it, I say to myself there is no way I am getting rid of it.

This case of the new car fever will pass, at least I hope so. I do love my GTS.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 AM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Not a lot of love so far for alcantara, but my car has almost 3 years and 13,000 miles and the alcantara is in perfect condition. Who knows what it'll look like in another 50,000 miles, but its only con so far is not having seat ventilation.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it!

Whenever I get new car fever, I go for a drive in my GTS and ask myself how much *more* pleasure will I extract from a new car? The answer tends to be clear: none, at a very high cost.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:48 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. I just read it and I have to say that his experience has mirrored mine. I also test drove a 2012 997.2 Turbo S when I was at my dealership driving the 991 GTS. The Turbo was fast, but other than that, my response to it was exactly the same as MessyMarvin's.

I also feel about the way he does about getting rid of my 997.2 GTS. Every time I get back in it, or just walk by it and look at it, I say to myself there is no way I am getting rid of it.

Your Car is absolutely stunning IMO, it will be the most sought after 997, my only regret with my car is not holding out for a GTS.

When I almost traded the delta was $35K for the 991, I was ready to sign the paperwork. Like you I look at my car and love it, I have made it mine with the limited, yet tasteful, mods I have done. What really tempted me was the Full Leather, PCCB's, Contrasting Stitching, Burmester Audio (This system absolutely blew the Bose out of the water), ect. The way the car drove IMO was not better then my 997, it was different, but not better, at least not for the type of driving I do.

Good luck regardless of your decision, I go through the same thoughts every so often. I thought about the Z06 and Viper as well, thats what led me to looking at 911 Turbo's.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Our 2011 GTS has over 32K miles and we're its 4th shepherds. The POs did a great job looking after the interior (exterior as well). All of the Alcantara still looks perfect except the steering wheel, which has gone smooth. On our BMW M3 the steering wheel problems involved pilling...so on long trips I used those spiffy (trust me) looking M3 leather driving gloves, and Nomex racing gloves for the track or autocross. Sweaty hands will definitely mess up the Alcantara. Too late for the GTS, but never mind. It still has more "grip" than leather. I like Alcantara for feeling warm in winter, and cool in summer...rather like a fabric seat. When bored, you can draw pictures on it, which is fun - when one is bored. I'm very worried about having to clean it, come some major, icky spill. The other day when my wife broke out a candy bar to eat and I got off on her about not dropping any chocolate on the seats our marriage took a real hit. Marriage aside, overall: it just looks great...and goes with the GTS theme...at least for me.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:14 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmz

Hands made of sandpaper.

Quick Reply: GTS Interior Question