Sponsored by:

997.2 limited slip question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:14 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by brianpizzuti
I am the second owner of a 997.2 Carrera S Cab. I was looking at the build sheet and never saw limited slip listed as an option or standard feature.

My car has PSM, does it therefore have limited slip standard as part of the feature ?
A "virtual" LSD, reactive only LSD, is inclusive with PSM, as it is with almost all modern-day vehicle stability systems. Uses differential braking to quickly abate wheelspin/slip.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:16 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Jack up the back. With the car in neutral you should have a very hard time turning one wheel if the other is not turning.
That test only applies to one specific type of LSD, one which Porsche has never used to my knowledge.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by DC911S
If the LSD is based on plates and discs, then yes it can wear out, well the discs can anyway. If its all gears (Quaife) then it's not going to wear out but will need the diff fluid changed. If it purely viscous based, like my Nismo Z...when it gets too hot it turns into an open diff. For a plate/disc based LSD like on my CTS-V, when it gets too hot.....the car goes into limp mode and your lapping sessions are over till it cools off.
A viscous based LSD relies on HEAT to stiffen, the more HEAT the more STIFFNESS!

Fluid is inside a hermetically sealed FIXED volume, since it CAN NOT expand with heat it effectively become more dense.

Goes from 5w to 90w viscosity.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest

That test only applies to one specific type of LSD, one which Porsche has never used to my knowledge.
I'll believe you. I had a locker on my old ****** but when I got a front wheel in the air slow climbing a hill it would spin independently of the other side (no front wheel drive). The posi on the rear actually performed better.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Since it is inherently dangerous, HAZARDOUS even, to have LSD on a front drive system it isn't often provided, not even for off-road vehicles.

You want to experience SEVERE torque steer, try one with.... but keep your thumbs outside the steering wheel.

Virtual front LSD's mostly brake BOTH front wheels to abate this problem, called TC, Traction Control.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Since it is inherently dangerous, HAZARDOUS even, to have LSD on a front drive system it isn't often provided, not even for off-road vehicles.

You want to experience SEVERE torque steer, try one with.... but keep your thumbs outside the steering wheel.

Virtual front LSD's mostly brake BOTH front wheels to abate this problem, called TC, Traction Control.
Good points.

Back in the day all 4 wheel drives had transfer cases and hubs that you locked in at each front wheel. Fast driving was two wheel drive. Slow stuff that had you balancing on three or even two wheels (or up to the windshield in muck) was for four wheel drive. We used posi or lockers at both ends to get through. But that doesn't hold today unless you're on the Rubicon Trail or its equivalent. That is not 911 territory!

Talking about all wheel drive these days is from a completely different vantage point.

As far as keeping your thumbs outside the spokes, that's a given that I've seen too many people not understand. I haven't experienced it in years, but I've had more than one time when a tire caught and if my thumbs had been I the way I would have lost them to the steering wheel. One of those times was at under 5 mph traversing a hill when the front end decided to slide. You simply don't see it coming. Today's power steering mostly overcomes this, but ...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Good points.

Back in the day all 4 wheel drives had transfer cases and hubs that you locked in at each front wheel. Fast driving was two wheel drive. Slow stuff that had you balancing on three or even two wheels (or up to the windshield in muck) was for four wheel drive. We used posi or lockers at both ends to get through. But that doesn't hold today unless you're on the Rubicon Trail or its equivalent. That is not 911 territory!

Talking about all wheel drive these days is from a completely different vantage point.

INDEED!!!

As far as keeping your thumbs outside the spokes, that's a given that I've seen too many people not understand. I haven't experienced it in years, but I've had more than one time when a tire caught and if my thumbs had been I the way I would have lost them to the steering wheel. One of those times was at under 5 mph traversing a hill when the front end decided to slide. You simply don't see it coming. Today's power steering mostly overcomes this, but ...
Yes, it's long past the time that the industry develop some terms more descriptive of what the customer is getting/buying.

R/AWD vs F/AWD, rear biased vs front biased, just a start.

4WD or 4X4, both part-time, should only be used as it was meant, defined, 30 years ago.

VC, Viscous Clutch/Coupling never was really functional, and now with PSM/VSC/TC those are totally useless, unless there is an "OFF" function.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Windyrun
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Also, for your build sheet, go here, add your VIN # after the = sign
http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...tails.php?vin=
thanks for the link, but when I tried it I get a blank page. When I google it the reply asks for login id. Am I missing something? Thanks
Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

You're right. I just tried it myself, and all I'm getting is a blank page. I recall I had a similar problem when I was originally pointed to this page. Unfortunately, don't recall how I resolved it. I'll see if I can find the solution.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Default C4 and C4S have standard LSD

I just purchased 2009 C4S and was wondering if my car had a limited slip differential. I think that I found the definite answer to this question Per 2009 sales brochure, all 4 wheel drives 997.2 came with a standard LSD.

2 wheel drive models must have 19" wheels, I assume an C2S to order it independent of PASM or SPASM.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 07-24-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 limited slip question