Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opportunity on an 05

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

I have a very cherry 05 C2S. Bought it at 26k miles. It is immaculate.
  • Slate Grey Metallic
  • Sand Beige Full Leather
  • Adaptive Sport Seats
  • Sport Chrono Package Plus
  • Narrow Body Turbo wheels

Also has 2 years left on the Fidelity warranty. The engine was rebuilt - under this warranty - about 18 months ago. They detected metal in the filter so they took it apart, cleaned out the case, changed the IMS bearing to the larger newer type, etc.

I paid 45K for it...so yes your price seems to be very good.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Chumlee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Gotta love price threads
Laughing!! I didn't mean for this to be a price thread only that I was contemplating what seemed like an exceptional 05. I go back to my thought process that paying 40K for a car isnt a ton of money but is it a smart thing to do spending it on say a Golf R, Focus RS or even an Audi S3?? I have been a Porsche guy for a really long time jumping between BMW M3s for about the last 15 years. I just sold an immaculate 02 Turbo with 16K miles to make room for the Cayman.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chumlee
Laughing!! I didn't mean for this to be a price thread only that I was contemplating what seemed like an exceptional 05. I go back to my thought process that paying 40K for a car isnt a ton of money but is it a smart thing to do spending it on say a Golf R, Focus RS or even an Audi S3?? I have been a Porsche guy for a really long time jumping between BMW M3s for about the last 15 years. I just sold an immaculate 02 Turbo with 16K miles to make room for the Cayman.
Most 997s are already more than 50% depreciated. The huge losses are already done. The new $40k cars will take a similar hit, they'll be $20k in just a few years. You're going to lose on depreciation either way, but you'll lose far less on the 997S.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:43 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I paid $46K for my '05 6 years ago next month. Any car I would've bought new for that then would be worth a lot less now. And that's even before factoring in the thrill I've gotten every time I even look at it let alone drive it.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I paid $46K for my '05 6 years ago next month. Any car I would've bought new for that then would be worth a lot less now. And that's even before factoring in the thrill I've gotten every time I even look at it let alone drive it.
Wish I was in a position to buy anything of significant value back then... The Dow was around 7K at that time? Best time of the last 50+ years to be a buyer!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

agreed, for many MANY cars.

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Wish I was in a position to buy anything of significant value back then... The Dow was around 7K at that time? Best time of the last 50+ years to be a buyer!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

imo the real culprit for 997.1's is cylinder scoring; not ims.

Originally Posted by Bepe
That's a very good deal if it checks out. I have an 05 C2S and love it! My mechanic recommends pulling the oil filter apart to look for shavings as an early sign of ims issues. He's the leading indie in Westchester NY and is emphatic that he's never seen a 997 with an IMS issue. He replaces them with the clutch all the time and says they always look fine. When I bought the car I was focused in the IMS. No I worry more about paint chips.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Chumlee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
Most 997s are already more than 50% depreciated. The huge losses are already done. The new $40k cars will take a similar hit, they'll be $20k in just a few years. You're going to lose on depreciation either way, but you'll lose far less on the 997S.
Well, I lost out on the deal, was around $36200, that's what I get for contemplating....Now I'm on the hunt. I didnt realize how tough it would be to find an 05 launch car. I have only found one but clear across the country. I wouldnt mind yellow either(wife loves yellow).

Quick Reply: Opportunity on an 05