Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you start your 997 when in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015 | 03:51 PM
Nova997
Racer

I went with this CTEK (also on Amazon) which is about $10 more and had very good reviews.

Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive
Old 01-12-2015 | 04:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JRoz
Adias, thanks for the heads up, I think i'm going to go with that one..sorry just to make sure i'm understanding, the fused central console... do you mean the cig lighter adapter that is located near the e-brake center console?..prob a dumb question
The Ctek maintainer comes with 2 connectors to connect directly to the battery. You have a choice of quick connector alligator plugs or eyelet connectors to be attached to the battery cable connectors. To use those one needs to lift the front hood and remove the battery plastic cover access. Once the connectors are in place one can drop the hood softly over the cable. Some people have installed the eyelet connector permanently and drilled a hole to pull up the connector. I find that a hassle when an easy cigarette plug connection is available. And, by the way, the OEM Ctek unit Porsche sells has a permanently wired cigarette plug connector, without an option for other connections as is...

So I would use the Ctek maintainer with the optional cigarette adapter and according to Porsche the correct plug is the cigarette lighter plug in the center console, by the e-brake. That is so because it has a higher fuse rating. And yes, you can use an extension cord (pick a nice one, not a thin one) to extend the Ctek cord length to the wall power outlet.

Also... the Ctek unit I mentioned US3300 is a fine unit but as others said there is a new one for just a little more, the Ctek MUS 4.3 and you might just get that one.

CTEK MUS 4.3 --
Amazon link HERE Amazon link HERE

Optional cigarette lighter adapter --
link HERE link HERE

Optional cigarette COMFORT lighter adapter --
link HERE link HERE
This latter one is an adapter with 3-LEDS giving you an idea for the state of the battery.
Old 01-12-2015 | 04:37 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

I went ahead and got the newer one..thanks for the help guys
Old 01-12-2015 | 08:55 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRoz
I went ahead and got the newer one..thanks for the help guys
So are you using the cig lighter or connecting to the battery's? Cig lighter works great for me. BTW, the 997 in your avatar has a funny thing sticking up in the back. It should always be retracted for photos (unless you are 17 yrs old in which case I congratulate you for acquiring a nice stable at such a young age)
Old 01-12-2015 | 09:14 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Thanks.. I guess..yea I should have retracted that stock spoiler porsche designed..I'm 30, do I get to take pictures with it or time to grow up? Hah.. Anyways yea going to go with the cig adapter
Old 05-01-2015 | 06:22 PM
blue steel
Track Day

What do you think of this as an alternative to a tender? Disconnect switch "with 125amp fuse to provide enough power to maintain your stereo presets and code so you don't have to keep reprogramming them"
Amazon.com: Battery-Disconnect Switch - Will Fit Both Side Post and Top Post: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery-Disconnect Switch - Will Fit Both Side Post and Top Post: Automotive

For the electrician-minded, what are the downsides of this type of device?
you can get the same thing without the fuse for about $7.

Quick Reply: How often do you start your 997 when in storage?