Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you start your 997 when in storage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015 | 11:18 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I drove my C2S every day all snowy winter.
For a car that I've stored. I never start them. What is it really 4 months?
Fuel stabilizer, full tank, trickle charger, pumped up tires. Your just putting more moisture into the crank case and oil? The only reason I would start it, would be for the sound. That is what I would miss. But that is what Youtube is for.
Old 01-12-2015 | 12:31 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys, i'm in Westchester NY where its been pretty damn cold the past few weeks. I've been able to get the car out every weekend so far and go for a nice 30minute drive atleast, to get all of the fluids and everything up and running...

This past weekend I could feel that the car just made it as far as having enough juice in the battery, or at least it seemed that way. It didn't help that it was at points below 10 degrees outside and who knows what temp in my garage. I'm thinking about just getting one of these so that if I can't make it out every weekend at least the battery can be maintained.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product//98061198100.html

This may be a dumb question but which outlet should I be using if I plug this in? The one that's underneath the passenger side? or in the middle section where the ashtray is? Or does it not matter? As far as having it run to my outlet, i have a very thick extension cable that goes to my outlet in the garage, any issues with plugging it into that? And lastly, how do I route this out of the car? Should I just have it come out underneath the door, closer to the door hinges? Or does it not matter where on the door as the weather stripping is pretty thick and I won't mess that up or the paint? I have a car cover i like to throw on it when the car is clean so figure something like this maintainer should help if I can't get the car out.

thanks guys!
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:01 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

You can use it in any of them. All are permanent (always on).

I have an older trickle charger and I am thinking about a CTEK charger (or similar) with the quick connector with built in charge indicator. There are also other brands with this smart solution. It's a quick connector that is always connected to the battery and has a red green yellow light indicating if charging is needed or not. You can hang the quick connector so that it is always visible (for example where the wind screen wipers are.

Good if you use the car often but short distances.
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:11 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

cool thanks, and as far as getting it to the wall, just having the wire run underneath the door won't do any harm to the door or the wire? I havent really looked at whats underneath the door as far as weather stripping but is that generally how people run the wire with the plugin ones? Or do you crack the window open and do that?
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:19 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

I have the same charger as you showed from Suncoast, and I route the cable under the driver's door and across the driver's seat to the center outlet. Reduces the risk of driving away with the charger connected!
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:24 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

If you are silly enough to drive on your summer tires in the cold.
Remember they are as soft and grippy as hockey pucks.
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:26 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

I have that same Porsche branded charger - fortunately, my buddy gave it to me. He used to work at the local VW/Porsche dealership and snagged it years ago. Found it in his garage.

But I just ran the wire out the passenger door (as I have it plugged into the passenger foot well plug). The wire is so thin it doesn't interfere with anything.
Old 01-12-2015 | 01:30 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
If you are silly enough to drive on your summer tires in the cold.
Remember they are as soft and grippy as hockey pucks.
I am silly, but not that silly .. I have dedicated winter wheels and tires
Old 01-12-2015 | 02:04 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JRoz
Hey Guys, i'm in Westchester NY where its been pretty damn cold the past few weeks. I've been able to get the car out every weekend so far and go for a nice 30minute drive atleast, to get all of the fluids and everything up and running...

This past weekend I could feel that the car just made it as far as having enough juice in the battery, or at least it seemed that way. It didn't help that it was at points below 10 degrees outside and who knows what temp in my garage. I'm thinking about just getting one of these so that if I can't make it out every weekend at least the battery can be maintained.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product//98061198100.html

This may be a dumb question but which outlet should I be using if I plug this in? The one that's underneath the passenger side? or in the middle section where the ashtray is? Or does it not matter? As far as having it run to my outlet, i have a very thick extension cable that goes to my outlet in the garage, any issues with plugging it into that? And lastly, how do I route this out of the car? Should I just have it come out underneath the door, closer to the door hinges? Or does it not matter where on the door as the weather stripping is pretty thick and I won't mess that up or the paint? I have a car cover i like to throw on it when the car is clean so figure something like this maintainer should help if I can't get the car out.

thanks guys!
I also recommend the CTek maintainer -
available at Amazon for <$60 available at Amazon for <$60
. The maintainer you linked to is an old design that I would not recommend.

The Ctek charger comes with quick disconnects and supplied with a battery connector (alligator contacts). You can get extra a
cigarette lighter adapter cigarette lighter adapter
(about $12) which is more convenient and connect it in the fused central console; this is the connection the factory recommends.
Old 01-12-2015 | 02:10 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Adias, thanks for the heads up, I think i'm going to go with that one..sorry just to make sure i'm understanding, the fused central console... do you mean the cig lighter adapter that is located near the e-brake center console?..prob a dumb question
Old 01-12-2015 | 02:18 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

sorry one other question, not sure if you would know this...it appears to be about 14 feet or so..if I need to plug this into an extension cable should that be ok? I don't know if i'll reach with the standard cable
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:06 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Adias, thanks for the heads up, I think i'm going to go with that one..sorry just to make sure i'm understanding, the fused central console... do you mean the cig lighter adapter that is located near the e-brake center console?..prob a dumb question
No, the CTEK is another solution. You connect it directly to the battery. Either via alligator clamps or via ring connectors. You then just hang out the quick connector from under the hood. For example where the wind screen wipers are. If you go for the additional quick connector with the LED lights you can always see the status of the battery without opening the hood etc. you also connect the charger directly from the outside so you don't have to get in the car or have cables through the door.

I will put my charger directly in the ceiling above the hood of the car. Then it is easy to connect and disconnect the quick connector and will also disconnect by itself if the car is accidentally driven with the charger still in.

One thing to consider if you have a trickle charger is that it cannot wake up a completely dead battery. Most of them require at least 7 volts to even start. Normally not an issue but could be a problem is the battery is more or less flat.
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:08 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

sorry one other question, not sure if you would know this...it appears to be about 14 feet or so..if I need to plug this into an extension cable should that be ok? I don't know if i'll reach with the standard cable
Extension cable is ok. A trickle charger don't consume a lot of power.
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:08 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
No, the CTEK is another solution. You connect it directly to the battery. Either via alligator clamps or via ring connectors. You then just hang out the quick connector from under the hood. For example where the wind screen wipers are. If you go for the additional quick connector with the LED lights you can always see the status of the battery without opening the hood etc. you also connect the charger directly from the outside so you don't have to get in the car or have cables through the door.

I will put my charger directly in the ceiling above the hood of the car. Then it is easy to connect and disconnect the quick connector and will also disconnect by itself if the car is accidentally driven with the charger still in.

One thing to consider if you have a trickle charger is that it cannot wake up a completely dead battery. Most of them require at least 7 volts to even start. Normally not an issue but could be a problem is the battery is more or less flat.

wait... I thought I can use
Amazon.com: CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK (56-263) Comfort Connect Cig Plug: Automotive
so that I can plug it into the cig lighter?...and use the maintainer option similar to the porsche brand one?
Old 01-12-2015 | 03:21 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

You can but personally I think the equivalent quick connector directly to the battery is easier and then you avoid cables inside the cab. This is the one that the Porsche dealers use. Simply because you can always see the battery status from outside the car.

There is one option with a smaller led- indicator and a slightly bigger one that you can attach permanently to the car (similar to a heater connector)

But you should choose what works best for you.

I think all three are good solutions.

These are the two quick connectors:

And the more advanced for fixed mounting

The simple one

Quick Reply: How often do you start your 997 when in storage?