Sponsored by:

A throwback to 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts
Default A throwback to 2011

Back in the June of 2011 a thread was started that maintained a two and a half year run. It is one of my favorites. I'd like to start it again. The title was "Tell me something I don't know about the 997" and it was filled with great details and some humor.

There were a lot of answers in this thread that would answer many of the questions I've seen asked recently, such as the side view mirror dropping down, or the operation of the rear fog lights.

On 1 July 2011 Mike in CA wrote that holding the switches, paddles, or gear shift on a PDK would perform multiple sequential shifts.

I'll add a new one and in doing so will confess that not only do I have a PDK, but I also have used Cruise Control. Please, stop laughing.

On at least the 997.2, you can tap the cruise control lever up or down to change your speed by 1 mph. Tapping twice will change 2 mph, even if the car didn't have time to adjust for the first tap yet. Tapping quickly 10 times shifts 10 mph even if the car only had a chance to change 1 mph during the tapping. And so on.

For those out there who evaluate these things, I will compare this to my wife's Lexus. The Porsche adjusts its new target speed from its current target speed. The Lexus behaves in a tap tap fashion but adjusts from current speed. Tapping the Lexus 10 times fast may only adjust the speed by 2 mph rather than the desired 10 mph that the 997.2 will do.

Next.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember that thread, it was awesome, some real jewels in there and I contributed too. Hope to see a lot new ones added to this one.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 PM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure I can tell you anything that you don't already know but I can tell you a few things I have learned in a few short months of ownership:
1. Whatever you thought it was going to cost to buy whatever part, fix it, buy a key chain or anything with a logo on it - its more than you thought.
2. No matter how far back in the parking lot you park some smuck is going to park right next to you.
3. Every kid with an after market spoiler fastened to their car with duct tape and sheet metal screws wants to race.
4. I'm not as mature as I should be in re to #3.
5. The transmission hump in the back is a perfect territory divider for young kids - who would complain about the cramped space in any other situation but love to be there in my car.
6. If you need help with something you can find it here. There is apparently nothing new under the sun.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Edward911
Instructor

Received 333 Likes on 97 Posts

When they built the 997, smartphones (or flip phones in the case of the early 997.1s!) could fit in that little cubby under the A/C controls.

Today's monster smartphones all stick out.

Quick Reply: A throwback to 2011