Sponsored by:

Diminished Value / Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Diminished Value / Accident

I just got rear ended today, the damage isn't bad but they need to fix and paint the bumper and bumperettes.

I think my main concern is resale value because I'm filing it on the other persons insurance. What would be fair dollar amount for me to recover for diminished value? Has anyone dealt with diminished value and insurance companies?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's just the bumper cover, there's no real hit to the value if it's done right. In fact, front bumpers often get refreshed and it can only enhance the car, again, if done right. However, as you know, it's the blip on the CarFax report that dimenishes the value. The only way to prevent that is to not file a report and pay cash. Since you have an insurance claim going, it's too late for that, so TAKE PICTURES of the damage, highlitghing how minimal it is, to show to a prospective buyer.

But to answer your question, my car had a CarFax noted repair. The dealer priced the car $500 less than value specifically due to the CarFax hit. I was actually happy with the new shiny bumper. He had pictures too. He showed me another similar 911 with a spot-free CarFax but I was happy to take my car home.

Long story short, don't sweat it too much, just get it done right and enjoy the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

What Chrono said. Take lots of before during and after pics to document the extent of the damage, that it was just confined to the bumper cover.

Be sure you pick a Porsche Approved Collision Center to do the repair.

Up to you of course, but with just a bumper cover involved I'd not bother with diminished value. You real focus should be on ensuring the car is put back to its pre-collision condition.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:02 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Very sorry to hear that. Austin drivers at work... probably texting despite the new law that just came into effect against touching the phone while driving.

FYI, my car had similar minor damage to the bumperettes that had been repaired perfectly prior to my purchase. It didn't affect my decision to buy it even though it showed up on Carfax, which noted it as minor (and the dealer could find no trace of a repair nor could I). I don't know if the dealer gave the person trading it in any less though.

Can't hurt to ask I guess, but I don't know if a vigorous pursuit of it would be worthwhile.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Very sorry to hear that. Austin drivers at work... probably texting despite the new law that just came into effect against touching the phone while driving. FYI, my car had similar minor damage to the bumperettes that had been repaired perfectly prior to my purchase. It didn't affect my decision to buy it even though it showed up on Carfax, which noted it as minor (and the dealer could find no trace of a repair nor could I). I don't know if the dealer gave the person trading it in any less though. Can't hurt to ask I guess, but I don't know if a vigorous pursuit of it would be worthwhile.
Thanks for the info again. I'm taking it to Roger Beasley Collision, Porsche authorized and a dealer to do the repair. I'll take lots of pictures of before.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
I just got rear ended today, the damage isn't bad but they need to fix and paint the bumper and bumperettes.

I think my main concern is resale value because I'm filing it on the other persons insurance. What would be fair dollar amount for me to recover for diminished value? Has anyone dealt with diminished value and insurance companies?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Had something similar a couple of years ago but involving the decklid area rather than the rear bumper. Got hit by a jacked up pickup, the ones that have their front bumpers set to take your head off if they run through you from behind at speed. Still a $5,000 repair. Got a $3,200 diminished value check from Geico who covered the driver who hit me. Wasn't easy....I'll say that. Diminished value guidelines and laws vary from state to state so prepare for a battle. Your own insurance company most likely won't get involved so you're on your own.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:05 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry, but you'll rarely get diminished value for a newer mass-produced car from an insurance company. Once the car is repaired correctly, legally, you are made whole and entitled to nothing.

You can fight this, of course, but be prepared to hire an attorney and go through a long process for a few bucks, since your car wasn't damaged to a great degree.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:39 AM
The R
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Austin997.2,

It'll depend on the damage, how the insurance company/adjuster/agent feel about the damage and perceived hit to desirability of you car after repair. It never hurts to state your case to the at fault party's insurance and make the claim. I was involved in a collusion with a car that was hit by another car as I passed. I had a lot more body work that needed to be repaired/painted/replaced than you, but I argued with the insurance company and received a diminished value settlement. Now they will probably low ball you like they did me at first, just keep stating your case.

In my case, we settled at a number. Still low in my opinion, but more than 2 1/2 times what they initially offered. So, doesn't hurt to ask. Texas you have I believe it is 2 years to file the claim. If you are going to file one with them, I would do it as soon as your work is completed but before you pick the car and and sign releasing them.

Good luck. Either way, I just hope your car comes back looking like it never was in a collision or better. I know how Austin drivers can be. I was down there doing Christmas.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:33 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:08 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed with the others about documenting the repairs with pictures. Minor stuff like this isn't a big deal if you can show the buyer exactly what happened. The issue is when there's no information to back up your story, only a vague Carfax entry.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car I just bought has a Carfax ding. The PO didn't set the parking brake and the car rolled into another. The wide filed a report. The PO had pictures and pointed out the damage - which was never fixed. Honestly - I don't know that I can see what he was talking about.

The price of the car was about 10% less than it probably should have been becasue of it.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Very sorry to hear that. Austin drivers at work... probably texting despite the new law that just came into effect against touching the phone while driving.
Here in CA there is a law against using the cell phone while driving and it hasn't helped at all as near as I can tell.

In Feb. 2009 my Boxster was struck from behind while stopped at a light by a driver who was on her phone and when the left hand turn light changed and traffic in the left hand turn lane next to her started moving she took off and ran into the back of my car. The impact actually drove my car into the car ahead, so my car had both rear bumper cover and taillight and front bumper cover and headlight damage.

Then in early May my new (4-week old) Cayman S was struck by a car driven by a woman on her cell phone and missed her turn and slammed on the brakes and slid across 2 lanes of traffic and through an intersection and struck my new Cayman S which was stopped a few car lengths back from the intersection. The new Cayman S was totaled.

Then back in May of this year in the Boxster I was stopped at a light. When the light changed I started to pull away and hadn't gotten moving much at all when the driver (guy this time) on his cell phone just drove into the back of my Boxster. This time the bumper cover wasn't damaged just needed some paint work.

It is so bad I have even had to dodge local police cars that run stop signs and pull out in front of me. In one case I watched the patrol car come out and turn left and cross right in front of me. I managed to stop in time and was able to watch the driver -- a female police officer -- as she drove by talking on her cell phone. She gave me a half assed wave of "sorry" as her car went by.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 AM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar issue, diminished value claim ongoing, my mercedes suv was damaged during shipping, shipping Co claims they were only brokers. Will update with names., if they don't pay fairly. I had 15k worth repairs, and the shippers insurance wanted to pay 4k.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Until the fines for using a cell phone reach $1K for the first offense and double for each subsequent violation, people will just ignore the offense. Cops can be some of the worst drivers - they speed everywhere, rarely use their turn signals, tailgate and talk on their phones all of the time. In addition, of course they have to pay attention to their radio or computer screen for assignments. If cell phones are so distracting why are cops and truckers exempt?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

I bought me extremely cherry 05 C2S knowing there was a bumper cover repair. No biggy if the rest of the car is is good shape.

Quick Reply: Diminished Value / Accident