Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed PPI on a 2005 997.1 - over rev q's - crazy to buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015 | 10:48 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Default Completed PPI on a 2005 997.1 - over rev q's - crazy to buy it?

Has 70K - excellent shape cosmetically. Sliver - black interior - PSE, sport seats, black porsche 19 wheels, etc. C2. Dealer bought it on the auction block. Clean car fax (I know that does not mean much) but dealer has no records. Had a highly recommended shop that the local PCA recommended check it out. Shop said solid car and drove great. However, he had obvious concerns on the rev's the computer showed. His comments are below. He thought there was no way the engine would have survived and there must have been a new one put in or major work done but cant tell.

Shop comments below:
Road test, check performance of engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension. Raise car on lift, inspect for current or recently repaired
damage (none found). Check wheels for damage (straight, no bends). Connect code scanner, check for existing or recently cleared fault
codes (all readiness monitors complete, no codes). Interrogate engine computer. Found three range 5 over-revs (9000 rpm), several
range 4 (8500 rpm). Removed oil filter, inspected filter pleats and bottom of cannister, no metal particles.

On the advice of Matt (onewhippedpuppy on Rennlist) who has been hugely helpful - he recommended calling a local Porsche dealer and have them run the VIN in the warranty database. I called and they were actually very helpful. In fact this car had been serviced there on minor items. She did not find anything in the national database. So - it was either done after warranty period somewhere else or the car is a ticking time bomb, or the driver got lucky? Keep in mind it happened early on - 1,000 hours. It has 3,000 hours so I would estimate it happened at the 23K mark since it has around 70K on it.

Great price on it at $30,350. Do you run away quickly? Any other experiences with these over revs? Please no comments on IMS - I know all about that topic. This is specific to your opinions on the over revs.

Last edited by tlisotta; 01-07-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2015 | 11:35 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

If it's just 1-4 over revs per range it's likely just a computer error. Remember these are ignitions in the RPM range. If it's 10, 20, 50 then I would be more concerned. Actually I've run durametric on a few cars and seen 1 or 2 over-revs on almost every one. Some even have over-revs of 1 or 2 in the highest ranges but not the lower ranges.

If you want to get really crazy you can boroscope the cylinders to see if the valves ever impacted the pistons, and do a leak down to verify the valves are still sealing perfectly.
Old 01-07-2015 | 11:51 PM
turbofever
Banned

buy this

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...-warranty.html
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:18 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997_rich
If it's just 1-4 over revs per range it's likely just a computer error. Remember these are ignitions in the RPM range. If it's 10, 20, 50 then I would be more concerned. Actually I've run durametric on a few cars and seen 1 or 2 over-revs on almost every one. Some even have over-revs of 1 or 2 in the highest ranges but not the lower ranges.

If you want to get really crazy you can boroscope the cylinders to see if the valves ever impacted the pistons, and do a leak down to verify the valves are still sealing perfectly.
Thanks for the reply. Interesting - I was wondering if it could be a false positive type of scenario
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:19 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbofever
Thanks. Gotta stay in the low 30s
Old 01-08-2015 | 09:14 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

I forgot to ask when we spoke, did it have more in range 4 than range 5? There should always be less in the lower range, because the RPMs have to go up through range 4 to hit range 5, then back down through range 4. The hours should be later on range 4 as well.

I had a 987S with false positives in 4-6. It looked normal in 1-3, then had 2 ignitions in 4, 5, and 6, and all with the exact same early time stamp. In doing a little research, looks like that is somewhat common, especially with early 987/997.
Old 01-08-2015 | 10:48 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
There should always be less in the lower range, because the RPMs have to go up through range 4 to hit range 5, then back down through range 4. The hours should be later on range 4 as well.

I had a 987S with false positives in 4-6. It looked normal in 1-3, then had 2 ignitions in 4, 5, and 6, and all with the exact same early time stamp. In doing a little research, looks like that is somewhat common, especially with early 987/997.
I don't think this is correct. It's an incremental build. You can't have less if it is i the lower range.

Personally, I'd move on. There are too many unknowns. Wait and save more money to broaden your options. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. OK, maybe a Ferrari
Old 01-08-2015 | 11:14 AM
Para82
Race Car

No papers No buy!
Old 01-08-2015 | 01:14 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't necessarily pass just yet. If you were looking for a low mileage car in fantastic shape and willing to pay a premium for it than pass on this car and any others with range 5/6 overrevs, perhaps even range 4. But this is a higher mileage 2005 in great shape at a low price. The concern is if the engine is sound or not.

Generally range 5 overrev's are worrisome. But an overrev 2000 hours ago might not be a problem. Relative to the full overrev report there are cases where range 5 can be overlooked. For example, anomalous readings do occur. As others have said a small number of overrrevs in every range can and does happen. I've seen overrevs at an hour mark higher than the current hour counter too, or even at a hour mark predating the car's birth date.

Any chance you can post the full DME overrev report? I'd like to see what range 3 and 4 look like compared to range 5. Also if there are tons of overrevs in range 1 & 2 usually indicating a car that was tracked or flashed with a higher rev limiter set.

The other thing to consider is what you plan to do with the car down the road. Keep it forever? Convert it to a track car? Sell/trade it a few years from now? If eventually you will sell/trade, the next buyer will be asking the same questions you are asking right now, some even just passing up on it altogether. This will make selling the car harder down the road.
Old 01-08-2015 | 04:31 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I don't think this is correct. It's an incremental build. You can't have less if it is i the lower range. Personally, I'd move on. There are too many unknowns. Wait and save more money to broaden your options. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. OK, maybe a Ferrari
I think you are saying the same thing that I attempted to - there should be higher counts in each lower rev. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 > 6
Old 01-08-2015 | 05:05 PM
user 72902
Banned

I'm on my phone so I may have misread but if you said the last significant over rev event was 2000 hours ago then I would discount any over rev concern. I'd expect any damage from the over revs to have done their damage by now or the engine has been rebuilt. Also it would be easy to tell if there is a replacement engine because the engine serial number won't match the build sheet's engine number
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:28 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
I forgot to ask when we spoke, did it have more in range 4 than range 5? There should always be less in the lower range, because the RPMs have to go up through range 4 to hit range 5, then back down through range 4. The hours should be later on range 4 as well.

He said several in range 4 and 3 in range 5.
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:30 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
I wouldn't necessarily pass just yet. If you were looking for a low mileage car in fantastic shape and willing to pay a premium for it than pass on this car and any others with range 5/6 overrevs, perhaps even range 4. But this is a higher mileage 2005 in great shape at a low price. The concern is if the engine is sound or not.

Generally range 5 overrev's are worrisome. But an overrev 2000 hours ago might not be a problem. Relative to the full overrev report there are cases where range 5 can be overlooked. For example, anomalous readings do occur. As others have said a small number of overrrevs in every range can and does happen. I've seen overrevs at an hour mark higher than the current hour counter too, or even at a hour mark predating the car's birth date.

Any chance you can post the full DME overrev report? I'd like to see what range 3 and 4 look like compared to range 5. Also if there are tons of overrevs in range 1 & 2 usually indicating a car that was tracked or flashed with a higher rev limiter set.

The other thing to consider is what you plan to do with the car down the road. Keep it forever? Convert it to a track car? Sell/trade it a few years from now? If eventually you will sell/trade, the next buyer will be asking the same questions you are asking right now, some even just passing up on it altogether. This will make selling the car harder down the road.
I will ask him if there is way to send the full report. There was not any over revs in 1 and 2 is my understanding. Matt was telling me the same thing about what am I going to do down the road. Probably sell it after a few years so need to think about that. I would like to do DE events. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-08-2015 | 07:46 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Here we go. Here is the full story:

3 range 5's at 1065 Hours

253 Range 4's at 1065 Hours

387 Range 3s at 1122

1478 Range 2's at 2279

I am not the brightest but that looks like a tracked car?? Hmmmmm
Old 01-09-2015 | 12:20 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

1-3 can be hit from delayed upshifting, 4-6 are downshifts. It's definitely been driven. I guess it's all in what you want. If you want the absolutely cream puff without a single over rev, you'll probably pay a premium. If you want the car that's been driven (like most) you can get them for a good price. Personally I'm not convinced that babying a Porsche is the best way to drive it. I've had several former track cars that were fantastic drivers. Really that's what they're designed to do. Seems like the low mileage cream puffs are more problematic as well.

Quick Reply: Completed PPI on a 2005 997.1 - over rev q's - crazy to buy it?