Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed PPI on a 2005 997.1 - over rev q's - crazy to buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015 | 09:43 AM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

How many errands have you justified, just to drive it?

Have you figured out the Ruf content on it? Shifter and pedals are obvious. I'm also curious what setup it has for suspension.
Old 01-11-2015 | 11:50 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
How many errands have you justified, just to drive it?

Have you figured out the Ruf content on it? Shifter and pedals are obvious. I'm also curious what setup it has for suspension.
So true. I only got to drive it a little while yesterday as we had plans with the kids at Chuck E Cheese! Sounds like the Old School Movie - the scene where he was talking about Bed Bath and Beyond and Home Depot! On the way home I told my wife I was going to the store - she started laughing bc she knew it was bc of the Porsche! It started raining so I took my truck instead! I have become one of those guys that does not want to get it dirty! Not supposed to rain this afternoon so will get some stick time. The mechanic said the suspension felt and looked good. How do I check if it is aftermarket? Only on the lift? What do I look for? Also, advice for if I get a flat on those low profiles? Fix a flat and then drive it to a place that can fix it with a lift? I don't think it came with a jack and don't know if there is a spare. Need to look.
Old 01-11-2015 | 03:07 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

It has an aftermarket suspension, they aren't that low when stock. You should be able to find labels on the struts and/or springs to indicate what they are. If you're lucky maybe you can turn the wheel and poke your head in there, if you pull the wheel it's easy to see.

The 997 doesn't come with a spare, in the front trunk there is a compartment down low that has some fix-a-flat, the tow loop, and the lug bolt security key.
Old 01-11-2015 | 04:19 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Put that lug key in the glove box. You may have some trouble opening the frunk when the battery goes dead and you may need to pull a wheel to access the mechanical cable.

Perhaps better yet, swap the security lugs for normal lugs and dump the key.

You should also find an air compressor down there.
Old 01-11-2015 | 06:11 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys! Will Check
Old 01-11-2015 | 06:51 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Glad you got the car . . . I know you will enjoy it. Just think how many cars in the world don't have DMEs to track over revs and keep their owners up at night (air-cooled 911s come to mind). I'm sure plenty of those cars have been over rev'd before and they are running just fine. Sometime ignorance is bliss . . . just saying.

Sean
Old 01-11-2015 | 10:21 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sniff
Glad you got the car . . . I know you will enjoy it. Just think how many cars in the world don't have DMEs to track over revs and keep their owners up at night (air-cooled 911s come to mind). I'm sure plenty of those cars have been over rev'd before and they are running just fine. Sometime ignorance is bliss . . . just saying.

Sean
Thanks! You make some very valid points . It drives awesome. I am actually going to do my first DE event on 2/14.

Quick Reply: Completed PPI on a 2005 997.1 - over rev q's - crazy to buy it?