Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone + Proclip + Magnet = True

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014 | 03:43 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Default Iphone + Proclip + Magnet = True

Christmas Holiday means time to think and dream about spring. Since I have a Tranzit Blu Bluetooth device arriving after new year I spent some time in the garage figuring out what would be the best place for a phone mount.

I had some YES and some NOs:
-NO wind screen mount (ugly plus cables on the dash)
-NO phone to the left of the steering wheel (since I use Waze and Spotify a lot
-No phone down by the stick shift for the same reason
-Phone must be easy to reach and a clean mount without completely destroying air flow or adjustment of the air vents
-Possibility for both vertical and horizontal mounting
-Keep my phone protection without modification

After some internet research I came to this:
-A Proclip specifically adapted to the Porsche 997
-A magnet fastener attached to the Proclip to allow quick fastening/removal.

I just attached the magnet to the Proclip with the 3M glue already attached at the back. The thin metal plate that connect to the magnet also have 3M glue but I just put it between the phone and the phone protection/shell. Bought two magnets to have one extra for the external GPS just in case

I just wanted to share since there might be more with the same need.
See images plus short video.

Last edited by Racetwin2; 12-23-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2014 | 04:35 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

magnet doesn't mess up with the electronics of the phone? Battery drain? I'd be worried
Old 12-23-2014 | 04:48 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Not that I know. At least not with Li-ion batteries. They are not even drawn to the magnet at all. I have also read about concerns about messing up the GPS but today's phones and GPS:s don't use magnetic directions at all so should be no issue there either.

I have had this on my commuter car before with no issues at all but Will uppdate if I see / notice any issues

Last edited by Racetwin2; 12-23-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2014 | 06:13 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

I might try it. Right now my I use one of of system that has a sticky pad but the phone will fall if I don't press it against the holder hard enough.

Other possible concern would be causing issues with credit cards. Magnets can demagnetize the magnetic strip of the credit card if exposed long enough. For those who keep their wallet and phone in the same coat pocket, this could be an issue
Old 12-23-2014 | 09:13 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I love Pro - Clip (no affiliation). I bought one for every one of our cars. I actually bought two for the 911. The first 911 mount was low and the eye sweep to use Waze was too far. The phone was also in the way of my wife's knee (a bit). So I went with the vent mount. Rather than a magnet I went with their cradle with plug for the charger. Doesn't matter how far I'm driving, the phone keeps its full charge for when I get to my destination. And all I need to do is slide the phone in. They make cradles for all kinds of different phones and they work incredibly (for my Note 2 at least).

And this offers you the option of swiveling the phone to its optimal position.

I ran the charging cord to the right and into the glove box to the accessory plug. You have to work to see it. The phone is mounted to the right center vent.

I also ran an aux cable (extended) and took it through the center console to the jack in the back storage container. Waze and Pandora run through the aux while the phone works through the Bluetooth. The phone software prevents contention.

However, if for some reason you want to mount your phone in landscape mode, the cradle may be limited on sharp turns. But given the slip angle I suspect the phone could slide off of the magnetic mount no matter what.

Quick Reply: Iphone + Proclip + Magnet = True