Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood vs Pioneer or other?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014 | 02:14 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Default Kenwood vs Pioneer or other?

So I'm desperate for a new head unit. I want the pioneer NEX8000 ($1500), but my friend can get kenwood for 1/2 price. So I'm torn to pay full retail vs a great kenwood alternative. Biggest requirement is a quick interface. Of course the unit has to have it all BT, CD, Nav, XM etc. I've read nothing good about kenwood, any of you have experience with kenwood or a great alternative?

Open to other options and brands. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2014 | 02:51 AM
s329
Racer

Dynavin units are amazing and getting a lot of traction with the cayenne forums. The cayenne basically has the same PCM 2.1 as the 997. I just had one installed in my cayenne and noticed they are releasing one for the 997. No cutting literally plug and play coming with a MOST adapter. The best part is that the unit literally looks OEM because they design the unit around the porsche dimensions from the get go. Worth a look. I'm waiting for more details for potential install in my 997
Old 12-20-2014 | 12:02 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by s329
Dynavin units are amazing and getting a lot of traction with the cayenne forums. The cayenne basically has the same PCM 2.1 as the 997. I just had one installed in my cayenne and noticed they are releasing one for the 997. No cutting literally plug and play coming with a MOST adapter. The best part is that the unit literally looks OEM because they design the unit around the porsche dimensions from the get go. Worth a look. I'm waiting for more details for potential install in my 997
Thanks I'll look into it. The pioneer apple play is amazing which is why its so tempting.
Old 12-20-2014 | 02:35 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
So I'm desperate for a new head unit. I want the pioneer NEX8000 ($1500), but my friend can get kenwood for 1/2 price. So I'm torn to pay full retail vs a great kenwood alternative. Biggest requirement is a quick interface. Of course the unit has to have it all BT, CD, Nav, XM etc. I've read nothing good about kenwood, any of you have experience with kenwood or a great alternative?

Open to other options and brands. Thanks.
AVIC-8000NEX on Amazon for $879.95. Problem solved.
Old 12-20-2014 | 02:38 PM
powderzone
Instructor

I've got an Alpine head unit in my 997.1 and it's incredible. Terrific nav, very intuitive user interface and best of all it has actual buttons for some of the functions like volume control etc... It integrates with Apple and allows you to use the Siri interface at the touch of a button on the head unit.
Old 12-20-2014 | 04:13 PM
crsierra
Rennlist Member

I just put in a Tranzit Blu HF adapter so that I could connect the PCM to my phone. It's really just a stop gap measure until the Android Auto head units begin to come out. That said, if I was an iphone person I'd definitely be looking at the Pioneer with Apple Play.
Old 12-20-2014 | 05:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I had a Kenwood unit in my 996 and it was great. I purchased it over a Pioneer at the time because it had a much faster processor and response time as well as Garmin navigation. It also had a **** for volume, which I prefer to a touch screen or buttons for that function. I had no issues at all with iPhone connectivity or functionality.
Old 12-20-2014 | 06:13 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Dynavin units do look interesting except thwt they look unattractive
Old 12-20-2014 | 07:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Pioneer, or Alpine with Apple Play is the ones to get right now, IF you want Apple Play. Otherwise, Kenwood might be a good option as well... but Dynavin sounds like a great OEM replacement though... tough call right now.
Old 12-20-2014 | 07:13 PM
Bryan16
Track Day

This demo of the Dynavin N6 is pretty slick. If it really is sized to look OEM this could be good. Would love to see some reviews and shots of it installed in a 997.

Old 12-20-2014 | 09:21 PM
s329
Racer

They look a ton better than using a bracket and then fitting an aftermarket head unit into the 997. Dynavin literally has the same dimensions as the PCM and is color matched for the silver or black plastic present in our cars. Functionality is on par if not superior to other units from pioneer and kenwood and best of all it is plug and play with the MOST adapter. Go check out the cayenne thread and you'll see why is so superior. Best part is that it's priced very well.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Old 12-26-2014 | 02:57 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
AVIC-8000NEX on Amazon for $879.95. Problem solved.
WOW! I don't know why I didn't look into Amazon

Originally Posted by powderzone
I've got an Alpine head unit in my 997.1 and it's incredible. Terrific nav, very intuitive user interface and best of all it has actual buttons for some of the functions like volume control etc... It integrates with Apple and allows you to use the Siri interface at the touch of a button on the head unit.
which one?

Originally Posted by slicky rick
They look a ton better than using a bracket and then fitting an aftermarket head unit into the 997. Dynavin literally has the same dimensions as the PCM and is color matched for the silver or black plastic present in our cars. Functionality is on par if not superior to other units from pioneer and kenwood and best of all it is plug and play with the MOST adapter. Go check out the cayenne thread and you'll see why is so superior. Best part is that it's priced very well.
I do like the dynavin units. They seem very intuitive. Have to see if they are available stateside and at a discount. With the NEX8000 above at ~$800 you can't beat that! Doesn't look like the N6 is available on amazon

thanks guys
Old 03-20-2015 | 07:04 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

have to look into this now

Quick Reply: Kenwood vs Pioneer or other?