Sponsored by:

Damptronic Spring Pop Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 01:04 PM
bspurloc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Damptronic Spring Pop Noise

After searching the forum and asking a few members I have been advised to post this message. I have installed Bilstein Damptronics PSS 16 on my 2006 C2S with PASM. I am having a very hard time with a very musical low speed spring pop on the front. It sounds like a "Boing" when turning the wheel to the left or right even a 1/4 of a turn. It is clearly the spring getting in a bind then releasing. I have removed them and made sure the strut perch bearing is greased and clean. I have made sure to only tighten the strut bolt once the car is down and on the wheels. I have the strut perch mounted with the two arrows pointing at each other facing the outside of the fender. I have not been able to find a definitive answer to the torque spec's for the strut bolt except the Porsche spec. I have read that it should be much less than the Porsche Spec.

I have seen where some advise this is normal and others are adamant that it should be quiet like stock. I can't believe Bilstein would make something this loud.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just sold a 2007 997S with Damptronics and heavier springs, it made no such noises. It should be quiet as stock. Are the springs properly seated in their perches?
Old 12-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Step 1. Go to the Porsche website and download the parts book for your car.
Step 2. Look at the exploded diagram for the front strut assembly. Or
Step 3. Search the Pdf file of the parts book for the "angular contact bearing".

You need to use this bearing with the new Bilstein kit. It's one of the secrets Bikstein leaves out of the instructions. This flat thrust washer with needle bearings allows the strut to rotate without binding the spring.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:21 PM
bspurloc
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fred. I have the bearing assembly installed between the strut perch and the top of the spring retainer. I also installed the metal ring that covered the bearing. I greased it as well. Mine came with a ball bearing instead of roller bearings. Do you happen to know the torque specs for the retaining nut. I can't seem to find it in the Bilstein instructions. They mention several but none for the 22mm nut.

Thanks again for responding.

Bill S
Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
Step 1. Go to the Porsche website and download the parts book for your car.
Step 2. Look at the exploded diagram for the front strut assembly. Or
Step 3. Search the Pdf file of the parts book for the "angular contact bearing".

You need to use this bearing with the new Bilstein kit. It's one of the secrets Bikstein leaves out of the instructions. This flat thrust washer with needle bearings allows the strut to rotate without binding the spring.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry, it's been over 10 years since I installed a Bilstein coilovers system on my old 996 Turbo. Google Bilstein instructions and will find paper copies as well as YouTube videos of installation.

Quick Reply: Damptronic Spring Pop Noise