Help With Wheel Color

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Help With Wheel Color

Hello,
Any help would be much appreciated. So I brought my wheels in to get redone in "black chrome' and I ended up with shiny black. I am already in to the service provider and they are going to redo them, I am worried that they will not even come close to matching the color I wanted again. They are being very nice about redoing them but they are a third party so my confidence is not that high that they can do it properly.

If anyone knows the correct process of painting and color codes that would be very helpful. I have to drop them off on the 23rd to be done over the holidays.

What I wanted

This is what I wanted "Chrome black'

This is what I got

Shiny black is what I got
Old 12-18-2014, 05:34 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Hello,
Any help would be much appreciated. So I brought my wheels in to get redone in "black chrome' and I ended up with shiny black. I am already in to the service provider and they are going to redo them, I am worried that they will not even come close to matching the color I wanted again. They are being very nice about redoing them but they are a third party so my confidence is not that high that they can do it properly.

If anyone knows the correct process of painting and color codes that would be very helpful. I have to drop them off on the 23rd to be done over the holidays.
Is "chrome black" a Porsche wheel color? Problem with paint codes is that they're not universal. For example, chrome black looks a little like what Forgeline calls "midnight silver" and HRE calls "brushed dark clear".
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Is "chrome black" a Porsche wheel color? Problem with paint codes is that they're not universal. For example, chrome black looks a little like what Forgeline calls "midnight silver" and HRE calls "brushed dark clear".
It's not an OEM color, I saw it on a thread here, I think I got myself into a nightmare to get it right now, lots of Internet searching in my future
Old 12-18-2014, 06:41 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You have great taste !
Shadow Chrome as it is usually named is indeed a very nice finish. BMW have used it first on M cars.
Read this or have it read by your painter :
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...finishing.html
Old 12-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
You have great taste ! Shadow Chrome as it is usually named is indeed a very nice finish. BMW have used it first on M cars. Read this or have it read by your painter : http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...finishing.html
Thanks, I just sent that to them. Now I just hope someone will actually take the time to do it right, unfortunately the status quo for workmanship these days is incompetence.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Just a thought, Maybe give some one at Wheel Enhancement or maybe Wheel Dynamics a call. They are pretty knowledgeable about Porsche wheels and wheel finishes and have a pretty good reputation for refinishing wheels. Cheers

Quick Reply: Help With Wheel Color