Sponsored by:

997 Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
My research includes mixed findings. Originally 85 pound get was popular but the I read the factory upped that to 105.

Really, the torque should also be dependent on how hard your wheels are.

Regardless, I would be surprised if loose lug bolts were the cause of the vibration. I would verify balance and centering (do the latter first with the car in the air and a run out gauge).
997.1 owner's manual calls for 96 ft lbs. subsequently updated (not sure when, maybe 2012) to 118 ft lbs. The owner's manual for my GTS says 118 ft lbs.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
997.1 owner's manual calls for 96 ft lbs. subsequently updated (not sure when, maybe 2012) to 118 ft lbs. The owner's manual for my GTS says 118 ft lbs.
Not meaning to beleaguer the issue, but lately I've read things that make me wonder if the 96 value was with anti-seize and the 118 was without.

The Internet is a wonderful device, but sometimes it leaves you wondering what to filter out and what to believe!

I grew up with salt on the road and a tube of anti-seize in my pocket. It feels wrong to not use it. But I'm finding more and more things that make me feel it has fallen out of favor. I got the second to last bottle of it at O'Reilly's the other day and the help behind the counter couldn't direct me to it (under the adhesives).

When I recently removed my rear tires the first lug felt loose, so I pulled out my old analog torque wrench (with deflection rod) and found they were all at around 50 lb ft. Did they loosen, or did the dealer put them on that way? One more thing to put on the monthly check list. It does appear that white grease was used on the threads - there is some residual ... On some threads.

BTW ... No vibration or other obvious problems on account of this low torque value (DD, not track).

There are many days I wish Haynes, or someone, had a simple service manual for the 997.2! I've evolved into an older guy based on older ways! Life extracted me from my love of cars for many years and I am trying to correct that as a part of my preparation for retirement. I want to learn what has changed during my absence. Thanks for all the input.

Also: My previous comment on hardness of the wheel affecting the required torque WAS tongue in cheek ... a reflection of some of the minutia that seems to go along with being a Porsche owner! I'm infected with that as well!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Both the old spec and the new spec call for the use of Optimolly anti-seize.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Both the old spec and the new spec call for the use of Optimolly anti-seize.
Thanks for the clarification. My fronts were at 95 while the backs were around 50. Almost all lug bolts appear to have some lithium grease on them. A quick monthly torque check is simple enough until I get used to what the car needs! I suspect the rears simply were not torqued correctly to begin with. I read the Manual the night I picked up the car last September. Probably should read it again!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the clarification. My fronts were at 95 while the backs were around 50. Almost all lug bolts appear to have some lithium grease on them. A quick monthly torque check is simple enough until I get used to what the car needs! I suspect the rears simply were not torqued correctly to begin with. I read the Manual the night I picked up the car last September. Probably should read it again!
I picked up one of these beam style torque wrenches recently... http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-instruments-c3fr250f.aspx

Nice thing is it can be stored in whatever setting you use the most. Vs the twist style that should be unloaded before putting away. Pretty easy to just leave it set and check them quickly.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:46 PM
S2000_Europe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Most here recommend 7mm front and 15mm rear. Porsche oem is only spec @5mm f/r so be aware of that. Your narrow body car has 295 rear tires. You can easily go yo 305 like the WB cars. That is a 5mm increase right there! GL
I have see that this set up is very common. Why? wont 7mm/15mm set up add further understeer that already the 997 has?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:01 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

Interestingly, I drove pretty aggressively in the same curves in the same conditions before and after installing my spacers wondering about the same thing. I could detect no difference in handling (of course I'm not a seasoned racing professional either). I think most of us do this solely for the more aggressive look. And I know what understeer feels like since my C4 did it a lot both before and after its spacers as well.

Last edited by StormRune; 01-15-2015 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Feelgood MD
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Basically, spacers are cosmetic without much other upside. Perhaps I should adjust my views back from whence they started and appreciate the space reserved for tire chains!
Agree with all the downsides, plus to add one more:
-Weight. Spacers add unsprung weight which negatively effects the handling of the car. In fact, weight reduction is the primary advantage of the PCCB rotors which cost $6,000 EACH. They don't really provide any better braking performance (60mph-0mph is basically equivalent to the reds). So what you're paying for, in addition to yellow caliper bragging rights, is weight reduction. Spacers, on some small level, are counter to this.

One more upside (albeit somewhat theoretical):
-Center of gravity. By widening the track, the COG is relatively reduced. Whether this has any real-world benefit is arguable, but since Porsche dropped the mounting of the 997.2 engine 10mm lower than the 997.1 engine, it at least must be on some very smart German engineer's radar.

Disclaimer: I'm about to add spacers to my 997.1S with PCCB and Damptronics b/c I hate the tucked in look. In fact, that's what led me to this old thread. However, if anyone asks, I'm sticking to the lower COG as my rationale
Old 07-04-2016, 09:39 PM
imnotracerx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 30mm spacers in the rear and 15mm up front. C4S wide body. Track days spirited touring no issues.

15mm rear 0 front

30mm rear 15mm front.

Quick Reply: 997 Spacers