Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question: Do I need PPI on a CPO Porsche 911?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014 | 06:11 PM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I know this dealership. I almost bought a Carrera s from them. I inspected the car personally and it looked great however!!! I asked for warranty history and saw that the car had transmission issues. I even learned through their warranty history that is the reason why it was traded in.
I passed on the vehicle.
PPI only does so much get the warranty and customer pay history. They will give it to you ask them to blackout the name. In that regard I respect this dealer for giving everything I requested.
Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Well it seems like whenever I saw a car with reasonable price, there is always something behind it... I have passed on several cars in this way (No maintenance record on high mileage car, poor dealership reputation, etc).

Wondering if 'always buy a car with premium price' is the only solution. By doing that maybe I can believe the dealer doesn't hide anything. (they ask a premium price!)
Old 12-15-2014 | 12:13 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Buying a car at a premium price vs a discounted price probably has correlation to hidden quality issues. Yeh, a more expensive car should have better paint .. less miles ... less obvious wear.

Like someone else pointed out, CPO is a checklist. My CPO had the loudest tires on earth as the were worn unevenly. I never heard them during the test drive in the rain. My car also need it's 4 year/40k service within 3 months. I did it myself.

My car would have cost someone else $2,500 within 3 months of ownership. PPI would probably have caught that. I didn't care because I do my own work.

Safe yourself the headache and do a PPI unless you can stare at the car for a day or two on your own.
Old 12-15-2014 | 02:54 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Btw you are buying a used vehicle.. Unless it's extremely low under 10k mileage chances are there is a scratch, chip, nick, etc here and there. Don't go in thinking it will be new and your fine.

And yes the cpo is great if you see my other posts within almost 3,000 miles I've had warranty issues. New serpentine belt and tensioner for squeal noise, tensioner failed noticed oil. Oh and the interior coat hanger decided it like to peel randomly flaking. All covered under cpo.
Old 12-15-2014 | 03:30 AM
ciphercong
Advanced

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Btw you are buying a used vehicle.. Unless it's extremely low under 10k mileage chances are there is a scratch, chip, nick, etc here and there. Don't go in thinking it will be new and your fine.

And yes the cpo is great if you see my other posts within almost 3,000 miles I've had warranty issues. New serpentine belt and tensioner for squeal noise, tensioner failed noticed oil. Oh and the interior coat hanger decided it like to peel randomly flaking. All covered under cpo.
Yea I know. Piant/Surface is not the major concern to me actually. I was just surprised that almost everyone suggested me to do PPI on a CPO car from a authorized Porsche dealership. Actually I almost sent out a cashier check to them last Friday to buy the car and have them ship it to me, not impulsive purchase, but it's a CPO car from an authorized dealership with 2 year extended warranty... Luckily I posted this thread and now I think I need to see the car and also do PPI on it. lol.
Old 12-15-2014 | 08:47 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Originally Posted by ciphercong
And is it possible that even if I buy a CPO porsche, I may need to change the tire immediately ? The thing is that without PPI how do I know the tire condition?
Pretty sure it's standard that the dealer will put on brand-new tires before selling the car as a CPO. We bought two last year -- an Audi Q5 for me, and my wife's 911 S Cab, both 2011 MY -- and they both had new shoes.
Old 12-15-2014 | 09:14 PM
OldBoldPilot
Intermediate

In July, 2013, I bought a CPO '08 Carrera S Cab with 43K miles from Rusnak Pasadena. I didn't have a PPI done because...well...because I didn't. But I did examine the car closely and drove it as well, as a result of which the dealer corrected a few items, mostly of a cosmetic nature.

This week I passed 55K miles and not a single thing has gone wrong with the car. It still drives like it must have when it was new -- tight, not a single rattle or squeak anywhere. I've been lucky, I know. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself.) Tires were new Bridgestones, and are still showing good tread front and rear.

I've had a couple of items taken care of under the CPO by the dealer (they replaced all 4 TPMS units and fixed a broken garage door opener unit). All scheduled maintenance (as well as performance upgrades) have been taken care of by a trusted Pasadena Indy.

Based on my experience with this car and an earlier CPO Porsche also purchased from Rusnak Pasadena, if I had to do it again I still might not bother with a PPI. But I would never buy a car I hadn't put eyes on and driven first.

Quick Reply: Quick Question: Do I need PPI on a CPO Porsche 911?