2005 vs 2006 997 "S"

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 11:02 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2005 vs 2006 997 "S"

Hey guys-

I have been looking at 996's but may try and stretch the budget when I stumbled upon the 2005 and 2006 "S" series . Like the looks and the extra HP. Couple of questions (sorry to bring up IMS but need to factor this in for purchase price):

1) Can the early 2005's have the IMS changed out relatively easily or not? I have heard about having to crack the case?? Is that only in the later run of the cars that year or?

2) Can you change the 2006 S IMS out? or is it very $$ or not doable? Or not much of a concern bc a lot lower likelihood of failure vs 2000 - 2004's?

3) Lastly, what is the difference between a 997.1 and the 997.2?

Thanks for the help!

Tony
Old 12-11-2014, 01:04 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tlisotta
Hey guys-

I have been looking at 996's but may try and stretch the budget when I stumbled upon the 2005 and 2006 "S" series . Like the looks and the extra HP. Couple of questions (sorry to bring up IMS but need to factor this in for purchase price):

1) Can the early 2005's have the IMS changed out relatively easily or not? I have heard about having to crack the case?? Is that only in the later run of the cars that year or?

2) Can you change the 2006 S IMS out? or is it very $$ or not doable? Or not much of a concern bc a lot lower likelihood of failure vs 2000 - 2004's?

3) Lastly, what is the difference between a 997.1 and the 997.2?

Thanks for the help!

Tony
Hi Tony,

Try doing some searching on these forums and on Google for more detailed answers, but I'll give you the basics.

1) Early 2005s have IMS bearings that can be replaced more easily than late 2005+ models. The early cars' IMS is accessible by dropping the transmission. The later cars have bearings that are larger than the hole you'd have to pull them out of, so you need to break the engine broken down to get to them from the inside. Very costly. In addition, there are VERY few examples of late 2005+ cars experiencing IMS bearing failure.

2) See the last part of my answer from #1. My opinion is that it's not at all worth it to change out the IMS for cars with the upgraded bearing. It's expensive and I'm not sure what it would be replaced with anyway - just newer bearings of the same design? Failures are extremely rare.

3) The differences are many, but the main ones are:
  • Completely different, higher hp engine (new engines are direct fuel injection - DFI - and have no IMS to worry about at all)
  • New available dual clutch automatic transmission (PDK)
  • Different console computer interface and button setup (PCM)
  • Different front bumper design
  • Different brake light design

Good luck with your search!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Hi Tony,

Try doing some searching on these forums and on Google for more detailed answers, but I'll give you the basics.

1) Early 2005s have IMS bearings that can be replaced more easily than late 2005+ models. The early cars' IMS is accessible by dropping the transmission. The later cars have bearings that are larger than the hole you'd have to pull them out of, so you need to break the engine broken down to get to them from the inside. Very costly. In addition, there are VERY few examples of late 2005+ cars experiencing IMS bearing failure.

2) See the last part of my answer from #1. My opinion is that it's not at all worth it to change out the IMS for cars with the upgraded bearing. It's expensive and I'm not sure what it would be replaced with anyway - just newer bearings of the same design? Failures are extremely rare.

3) The differences are many, but the main ones are:
  • Completely different, higher hp engine (new engines are direct fuel injection - DFI - and have no IMS to worry about at all)
  • New available dual clutch automatic transmission (PDK)
  • Different console computer interface and button setup (PCM)
  • Different front bumper design
  • Different brake light design

Good luck with your search!
Thanks Mike! I did do some searching but was a little confused and you cleared it up. I also noticed 997.2 came out in 2009 so that clears that up. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an early '05 and had the LN bearing put in it. The late-'05' through '08 has the same problem of dirty oil seeping through the seal and contaminating the grease, leading to excessive wear. It's only because the bearing is bigger and stronger, that it has a better survival record, but there's still a chance of failure especially in a low-mileage garage queen. If I had an '06-'08 I would still want to have the seal pulled off so the bearing could get immersion/splash lube. And the the labor for that would be about the same as a retrofit on the earlier cars. The only savings would be the bearing itself. So personally I would be more concerned with things like color, options and overall condition than what IMS bearing it has.

If I were buying right now, I would be seriously looking at a 991 base with manual. I've seen them creeping down into the 70's, so I'm not sure I'd pay high 50's to 60's for a 997.2 right now. Then again I have no objections to a 991 (other than it can't be an automatic) as some people do.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 2008S and the concept of oil leaking into the bearing and contaminating the grease is simply that... a concept. The statistics show that the last bearing design in the 997 engine has an extremely low failure rate. In that case leave the bearing as is. I have read many posts where individuals had replaced their smaller bearing with the "upgraded" LN bearing. The comments have been that the original bearing looked like new after removal whether having low or high miles. Rod bolt failures are probably more common. Make sure any car you consider is one that appears to be well cared for, has been well maintained ( with records) and had a thorough PPI done .
The following users liked this post:
NoFo911 (05-28-2020)
Old 12-11-2014, 08:49 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

consider also the cylinder scoring issues
Old 12-13-2014, 11:22 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:04 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
consider also the cylinder scoring issues
This brings up a question. Looks like the 3.8 S may have a higher propensity for bore scoring? Is that an accurate statement?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:10 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only speak to 997.1's, but from my knowledge the scoring issue is very uncommon. Same with late '05+ cars regarding IMS issues. I know 20+ people with 997.1s and not a single person has had either issue.

In this price range at this level of performance, the 997 is one of the few cars you can simply drive, maintain, and not worry. That's why I love it :-D
Old 12-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

read the hartech articles on these motors. They raise some very interesting points.

3.8s are more susceptible to scoring. Yes its uncommon, but if it happens to you, you are hosed.

http://www.hartech.org/porsche_996_9...ers_guide.html

part 5 is what i'm referring to.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:37 PM
turbofever
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to put a sorrow on the situation, IMS Bearings do fail. my car driven every day and oil changed in my oweneship or 2 years and 20k miles failed at 58,000 miles.

the car was never red lined and as mentioned took good care of the oil being fresh.

i would buy any model 997 and get a warranty, who cares at that point i paid the $200 deductible from my premium 3 weeks later the car was back from porsche with a brand new short block.

personally i think its fortnuate it happened as now i have a brand new lower end. i am certain this chassis is cabable of 200k+ miles and now my engine can take it that far

one mod i highly recommend is a center 3rd radiator kit. look up suncoasts for the parts. your engine temps will dramatically drop and oil temps accordingly.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:59 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

As 996s and 997s get older with much higher mileage a warranty really won't be an option any more. I'm glad all these issues are being addressed one by one (I'd like a 997 some day) but it is costly.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:06 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by turbofever
not to put a sorrow on the situation, IMS Bearings do fail. my car driven every day and oil changed in my oweneship or 2 years and 20k miles failed at 58,000 miles.
I know you were following Porsche's service interval but I couldn't imagine any car having only two oil changes at just under 60,000 miles - Yikes. That didn't do the IMS bearing any favors.

Quick Reply: 2005 vs 2006 997 "S"