997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint stripper over car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015 | 11:02 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Looks like new. Glad this got worked out for you. Enjoy the ride!
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:00 PM
secondshot
Racer

Followed your story from Day 1. Glad it worked out. What happened to the little brat? For a $20k repair, that would seem pretty serious. Don't know the "minor" laws in UK.
Old 01-24-2015 | 12:20 PM
RWP997
Advanced

I can't believe all of the "poor kid" and "at least you weren't hurt" comments. This kid needs to be made an example of or he's just going to keep doing this to others. You don't touch other peoples property...period.
Old 01-24-2015 | 03:08 PM
jets
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAVU
20 years ago, I caught two pre-teen punks in training trying to do some damage to my house. They ran, I chased them down on foot. Never laid a hand on them. Said to them,"follow me". They did, had them call their mom. Mom went nuts on the phone accusing me of kidnapping her kids. Sent them on their way. Next day, California State Trooper shows up at my house. Asks me if I am in the military and I say "yes". He was very professional and said that while the mother called the police to say that I had kidnapped her children, the kids told the Trooper the truth. The Trooper then advised me as follows "Sir, I just came from a crime scene where a gentleman like yourself witnessed 2 kids breaking into his car to steal the stereo. That man confronted the kids and they shot him dead. If you give chase, I want you to know that there are people who will kill you in cold blood and not hesitate. So my advice to you is don't do it." Later in life I had to conceal carry for a 18 month job and I really rethought about chasing criminals, I don't do it even when armed. Those being chased have the advantage...they are NAFOD...no apparent fear of death.

Today, lots of pictures, lots of details and I call the authorities. It is just not worth it.

You have life and the car will be as good as new soon enough.
That's an eye-opener. I try to always remember that crying over something that can't cry over you is just not worth it. Hard thing to put in practice sometimes.

To the OP, looks great and I'm happy it's been restored!
Old 01-25-2015 | 03:02 PM
bigozuk
Intermediate

a few of you have asked what happened to the kid that carried out the vandalism - well nothing, he wasn't even charged by the police due to a lack of evidence. so he's got off with it completely free. not even a slap on the wrist. and not a thing I can do about it.
Old 01-25-2015 | 03:49 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jets

Crying over something that can't cry over you is just not worth it.
Wise words ... Perhaps chanted over and over as a mantra!

Thanks for the insight.
Old 01-25-2015 | 03:58 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bigozuk
a few of you have asked what happened to the kid that carried out the vandalism - well nothing, he wasn't even charged by the police due to a lack of evidence. so he's got off with it completely free. not even a slap on the wrist. and not a thing I can do about it.
Any indication as to whether or not your insurance company will pursue him and/or his parents in civil court?
Old 01-25-2015 | 04:14 PM
bigozuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAVU
Any indication as to whether or not your insurance company will pursue him and/or his parents in civil court?
No - my insurer said they would only pursue him if charges were made against him by the police.
Old 01-25-2015 | 06:12 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Follow the money. The kid probably doesn't have anything the insurance company wants, police report or not.
Old 01-25-2015 | 08:24 PM
Nova997
Racer

Glad all of this is in the past and your car is in better shape than it was previously (although the drama wasn't worth it). Hopefully you can now just be relieved that it's over.
Old 01-26-2015 | 10:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by bigozuk
You need to find another kid to go take care of this kid. Car looks good again.
Old 01-27-2015 | 09:18 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Forget the past and enjoy your car
Old 01-27-2015 | 11:26 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
You need to find another kid to go take care of this kid. Car looks good again.
Hmm... Interesting idea. Some hooligan who has a reputation for trouble anyway but get a middleman to disassociate yourself. Oh the complexities!
Old 01-27-2015 | 11:36 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS

Hmm... Interesting idea. Some hooligan who has a reputation for trouble anyway but get a middleman to disassociate yourself. Oh the complexities!
Cash only ... No audit trail!!!!!

You've got your great car back. It looks like new. Drive it, enjoy it. Put the past in the past or it will affect the way you look at your rolling art every time you open the front door. That would be the real shame. Don't let the kid strip you of that pleasure!

Just saying.
Old 01-27-2015 | 01:07 PM
bigozuk
Intermediate

my bad luck continues.....today I got a flat tyre and found a nail stuck in the tread. Brand new Pirelli P Zero tyre, completely flat. Got me wondering if the little brat that damaged the car is at it again!

Quick Reply: Paint stripper over car!