Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying brake parts--questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Just an update since I hate it when people start a thread and then don't give the results.

After looking several places and finding alot of good pricing (thanks for all of the suggestions, guys), I found that with almost every discount vendor, there was at least one part necessary for the job that was not available or out of stock.

I wound up calling Sunset Porsche after a PM from a member (thanks Joe) and spokewith Jesse South. He sent me a very competitive price quote and I ordered the parts from them. They arrived last week. I will post the results of my first P-car brake job after I finish.

And yes, I wound up ordering the sensors. They were just too inexpensive to not do it. Now I can wait until the brake light comes on to do the job since I don't have to worry about re-using the sensors.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:31 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

You're welcome. Hope you told Jesse I referred you. Always good to have points with the parts guy.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Oh yes, I definitely told him from where the referral came. I hope it helps you out on your next order. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:10 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Doing the first pad change on my 997.1 C4S. I bought it w/ 10K on the clock. Now at 36K. Rotors fine. Being cocky I went ahead and started the job without reading the forum, shop manual, anything...brake pads are simple right?? I got the brakes from a ATE/Teves source for roughly $200 for both front/rear...better then Porsche prices for same pads with a different box. I figured I could re-use the sensors and I usually replace the "hardware kit" every other brake pad change - a 3M green pad is usually all that is needed to clean the pieces up at least once.

I started on the left rear....pads were tough to come out. Figured out once the first pad was out that there were these goofy disks on the back of the pads....now broken. I had no idea about the anti-rattle pads. Now that I saw what the deal was...I used a putty knife to pop those off before trying to extract pads. Other side went well. Decided I better figure out what the heck these disks are and moved on to muffler removal for the spark plug change.

After reading up on the forum I decided I'll trust Porsche and replace the anti-rattle shims - I needed 3 new regardless as they were destroyed. Might as well do it now while I have the wheels off and car on jack stands vs. gambling the typical anti-squeel paste will suffice. I like smooth quiet brakes. I also found there is a different anti-rattle setup on the front.

Shocked to see the prices... $174 for 4 front and 8 back shims/dampers at Suncoast. Decided to check Rock Auto. They have the fronts for $9.03 each. Didn't see the rears....until I checked a 996 year instead of my 997 C4S. Same part and $6.60 each. Total Rock Auto price $104.71. Not thrilled but good to save a few $. I'm all-in at roughly $300 in parts.

While the wheels are off -
- swapping 17" winter rims/tires for the 19" summers
- brake pads
- brake fluid flush
- spark plug change
- oil/filter change
- wiper blades

I hate to think what all this would have cost at the dealer!!
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm about to replace the brake discs (pads were replaced by my Indy only a few weeks ago). Do the pads have to come off the caliper first? Or ok to leave them on when unbolt the calipers?

And would these anti-rattle shims need to be replaced too?

Thanks
Originally Posted by 07C4S
Doing the first pad change on my 997.1 C4S. I bought it w/ 10K on the clock. Now at 36K. Rotors fine. Being cocky I went ahead and started the job without reading the forum, shop manual, anything...brake pads are simple right?? I got the brakes from a ATE/Teves source for roughly $200 for both front/rear...better then Porsche prices for same pads with a different box. I figured I could re-use the sensors and I usually replace the "hardware kit" every other brake pad change - a 3M green pad is usually all that is needed to clean the pieces up at least once.

I started on the left rear....pads were tough to come out. Figured out once the first pad was out that there were these goofy disks on the back of the pads....now broken. I had no idea about the anti-rattle pads. Now that I saw what the deal was...I used a putty knife to pop those off before trying to extract pads. Other side went well. Decided I better figure out what the heck these disks are and moved on to muffler removal for the spark plug change.

After reading up on the forum I decided I'll trust Porsche and replace the anti-rattle shims - I needed 3 new regardless as they were destroyed. Might as well do it now while I have the wheels off and car on jack stands vs. gambling the typical anti-squeel paste will suffice. I like smooth quiet brakes. I also found there is a different anti-rattle setup on the front.

Shocked to see the prices... $174 for 4 front and 8 back shims/dampers at Suncoast. Decided to check Rock Auto. They have the fronts for $9.03 each. Didn't see the rears....until I checked a 996 year instead of my 997 C4S. Same part and $6.60 each. Total Rock Auto price $104.71. Not thrilled but good to save a few $. I'm all-in at roughly $300 in parts.

While the wheels are off -
- swapping 17" winter rims/tires for the 19" summers
- brake pads
- brake fluid flush
- spark plug change
- oil/filter change
- wiper blades

I hate to think what all this would have cost at the dealer!!
Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Psymon
I'm about to replace the brake discs (pads were replaced by my Indy only a few weeks ago). Do the pads have to come off the caliper first? Or ok to leave them on when unbolt the calipers?

And would these anti-rattle shims need to be replaced too?

Thanks
No, pads do not have to come off to replace the brake discs - but you need to push the pads back into the caliper so the pistons retract, otherwise you may not be able to remove the caliper from the disc. You will need to disconnect the brake sensors from the calipers, probably the ABS control too.

The anti-squeal shims could be replaced but then you'd be removing the pads too (to access the shims).

Remember you will also need to re-bed your pads to the new brake discs.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:10 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Just to make sure, what do you mean by "re-bed". Cheers.

Originally Posted by stronbl
No, pads do not have to come off to replace the brake discs - but you need to push the pads back into the caliper so the pistons retract, otherwise you may not be able to remove the caliper from the disc. You will need to disconnect the brake sensors from the calipers, probably the ABS control too.

The anti-squeal shims could be replaced but then you'd be removing the pads too (to access the shims).

Remember you will also need to re-bed your pads to the new brake discs.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

When you install brakes you need to bed them in. The procedure usually involves a few moderate near stops from about 35 mph, followed by a few harder near stops from a higher speed like 50 mph, but never completely stopping. Then letting the brakes cool fully without the parking brake engaged. A Google search for "brake bedding procedure" will return plenty of examples. You are trying to both clear off any residual stuff on the rotors and get a nice brake pad transfer film onto the rotors.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:57 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I had all new brakes put on my 2007C4S for about 3 k last fall. Total price for all parts and labor, including new the itty bitty stuff like sensors, backing plates, and everything. All done at the dealer with OEM parts.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I had all new brakes put on my 2007C4S for about 3 k last fall. Total price for all parts and labor, including new the itty bitty stuff like sensors, backing plates, and everything. All done at the dealer with OEM parts.
Wow. I don't know if that's a normal price or not ($3000), but last time I checked I believe you can buy all the parts from Suncoast, Sonnen, or Sunset for around $700, maybe a little less. Add another $30 or so for fluid to flush the system and adding a bit contingency, call it $750. If you had four brake discs replaced that might be another $600. So all in on parts would be around $1350. Either way that seems like labor costs are pretty high, >$200/hr, in your area.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

All the OEM parts for a complete brake job, including sensors, 8 pads, 4 rotors, 8 bolts, shims…..is more than 700 dollars from suncoast. I did add it all up. Shipping heavy objects like rotors can also drive the price up. Shipping is not free.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:13 AM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know what you go with. I'm doing front pads/sensors in a couple weeks.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:02 AM
07C4S
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07C4S
I changed my mind. These dampeners are idiotic. Perhaps it's the fault of the previous owner but b/c of these dampeners I essentially need to remove and rebuild 2, maybe 3, calipers.....at 36k miles. The remains of the one rear (my fault) can't be extracted without removing the caliper...but I never got that far. I decided to pull the front first. - which are a different design. After separating the dampeners from the pads with a putty knife the pads came out easily and I retracted the pistons. Using the putty knife again I tried to pop out the dampeners. 1st came....only half of the 2nd (insert favorite cuss word here) The piece that fits inside the piston is rusted/fused. Pulled the caliper...nothing I could do to get it out. I even drilled/tapped it and tried to screw in a bolt to extract. Didn't work. I spent hours on it. The only solution is to disassemble the caliper and hope heating just the piston may work.....but more likely I'd have to bore the busted piece out or replace the piston. I then tried the other front caliper....same damn thing happened. Part of one dampener rusted solid inside the piston. No way I'm pulling the caliper for another exercise in futility.

In summary...both of my front calipers need pulled, pistons removed, new bore seal and dust boot (at this point stupid not to), and either piston surgery or replacement. I suspect the rear I messed up before researching the job (my fault) needs the same. All of this to change brake pads???? Ridiculous - should take 15-20 minutes per corner. I put everything back together with brake paste the old fashioned way. 1st drive was fine and the bedding procedure felt normal.

I bet anti-seize would have prevented this but it's too late now. I did buy the car with 12k miles used out of Florida. I don't know if these were the original pads and Porsche doesn't use anti-seize from factory or replaced at some point by PO and they didn't....maybe not the norm in FL's climate to encounter this problem.....perhaps the Chicago snow and salt requires different treatment.

I hate knowing my calipers are buggered like this now but I'm reluctant to go thru the hassle and expense of pulling all the calipers (if I have to do 3 might as well do all 4) for machining and rebuilds.

I really prefer working on old MBs and Alfas compared to this car.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Bump for a follow up question on this process. I'm going to replace front and rear brake pads and rotors sometime soon.

Why does everyone recommend getting new retaining clips and cotter pins when doing this? Is there a reason you wouldn't just use the old ones? I can understand getting new sensors...
Old 05-06-2015, 12:52 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
Bump for a follow up question on this process. I'm going to replace front and rear brake pads and rotors sometime soon.

Why does everyone recommend getting new retaining clips and cotter pins when doing this? Is there a reason you wouldn't just use the old ones? I can understand getting new sensors...

Probably because they are inexpensive parts to replace and since they hold the pads in the caliper, they are vital components. Do they wear out? Probably not to the point they are unsafe, even if your car sees a lot of salt and snow etc....

You're probably fine reusing if you just drive you car on the street.

Quick Reply: Buying brake parts--questions