Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better Picture of Switch...
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2015, 09:53 PM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

Does the battery need to be disconnected when replacing the ignition switch?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Normally I'd say yes, but looking at the picture, it is clear from the small pins that the switch itself doesn't actually turn the power on/off but just provides signals to another module that actually controls turning power on/off, so maybe not.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:54 AM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

Success!!!

Took less than 30 minutes. My 13 year-old son was invaluable. After I got the switch out, with his smaller hands and arms, he pushed the new switch back into place with a 2 minute effort to get the orientation right. I suspect it would have easily taken me over an hour if I had tried to wriggle my hands and the switch up under the dash and into position by myself. I highly recommend smaller hands and arms for this procedure.

The key came right out of the new switch after start-up and shut-down.

BTW, I did not unplug the battery (thanks Minok) and everything went smoothly.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Ken987s
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AlohaCS
Success!!!

Took less than 30 minutes. My 13 year-old son was invaluable. After I got the switch out, with his smaller hands and arms, he pushed the new switch back into place with a 2 minute effort to get the orientation right. I suspect it would have easily taken me over an hour if I had tried to wriggle my hands and the switch up under the dash and into position by myself. I highly recommend smaller hands and arms for this procedure.

The key came right out of the new switch after start-up and shut-down.

BTW, I did not unplug the battery (thanks Minok) and everything went smoothly.
————
Anyone did this same part replacement, but key is still stuck after starting the engine? Happens every time after key removed with tool in fuse box panel. Battery was replaced too.

2005 Boxster S
Old 11-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Ken987s
5th Gear

“Sangdi” or “michaelscain” Do you have a resolution for the stuck key yet?

thx
Old 10-02-2021, 09:50 PM
Danmark
1st Gear

Default 987 key issues

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
from what I remember it only takes a few minutes to reset everything with the battery disconnected but yeah might as well give it a real try
I've disconnected and reconnected my battery dozens of times, including overnight. No effect on key withdrawal. Because of the battery drain issue, I plan to install a remote battery disconnect switch. Should solve the battery drain problem and the key stuck in the ignition/theft issue. Why does Porsche do this? My locksmith says he will have no keys with electronic complications. I agree. He says he cannot guarantee any key he makes that has an electronic fob.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:07 PM
911s4Me
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken987s
————
Anyone did this same part replacement, but key is still stuck after starting the engine? Happens every time after key removed with tool in fuse box panel. Battery was replaced too.

2005 Boxster S
Any resolution on your stuck key? I have a 997.1 TT tiptronic with a stuck key that is removeable with a paperclip. I wound up replacing my ignition control module but key still gets stuck. And when I turn off my car I get a message that states "car must be in park to remove key" but car is in park both by position and by light on dash. Also, interestingly and likely part of the problem, is that the car can be shifted into any gear without key being in place or ignition on. Help!
Old 07-07-2024, 11:45 PM
JS981That
4th Gear

Hey Kodey, where did you get that "plastic bezel bolt" from Snap On? I can't seem to find the part. Also, do you know if it will fit the 981?

Quick Reply: Key Stuck in Ignition with Full Battery Power