Sponsored by:

997.2 bolt source

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 10:59 PM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.2 bolt source

While removing my stock mufflers on a 2010 997.2 C2 I snapped two of the pressed in studs on the catalytic converter (common) and stripped the head of one of the external torx bolts on the bottom of the engine for the aluminum tube bracket that is attached to the side muffler (careless).

Neither of these bolts are in PET and I don't have a dealer in my area. Anyone have a part number and/or source? Our local Fastenal didn't have matches.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-07-2014, 01:34 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can source just about anything from these people:

Metric & Multistandard Coponents Corp.

1 (914) 769-5020
www.metricmcc.com

This is not a car dealer, so they won't know any part numbers. But call them and send them a picture of the necessary parts and measure them as well.

Anytime you mess with a bolt/nut on an exhaust system, you will have broken hardware, so don't feel bad.

I replaced ALL of my exhaust nuts/bolts when I changed my exhaust for like $8... and they were EXACTLY the same parts that Porsche wanted to rape me with.

It would help if you knew the material as well... they will be either steel, aluminum, or stainless steel so common sense and a magnet will come in handy.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:27 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Take examples of what you need to you local Caterpillar Dealer. They carry just about every type of fastener you could want. If the store doesn't have it in stock, they can get it in 24-48 hours. For future reference, Google - One Safe Source. You should find a PDF file of most of the hardware they carry. There is more, but you'd need a dealer terminal to search for it. Ive bought many Grade 8 or better bolts for my Porsches over the years this way. As hardware is a commodity, the prices are reasonable for special fasteners.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

I did the same when I installed my Sharkwerks x pipe. I went to HomeDepot and just purchased some metric stainless bolts and nuts. Don't over think this.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-07-2014, 08:34 AM
cjjones
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Bruce. I had the same problem breaking one of my studs. I went nuts trying to find the exact replacement. Fastenal and my P dealer didn't have them. Go to a hardware store and buy some stainless fasteners. Save your self the headache.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

While Home Depot bolts may work fine, there are many different grades and strengths of stainless and Home Depot doesn't list the grade on theirs... so I doubt they are the automotive grade preferred for the extreme heat coming from the cats although I admit this is just a guess. I'd suggest considering what Fred or 82_930 suggested.

To reduce the possibility of similar problems in the future, you could consider using the copper-plated nuts especially made to withstand exhaust-related problems. The copper coating prevents the electrochemical reaction that occurs between the bolt/nut/cat under high heat that can lead to seizing.

I know Fabspeed (one of our sponsors) includes them in their exhaust products so maybe you could call and get them from them. I've also seen them elsewhere online, just search for "copper exhaust nut". (You can also get copper-clad bolts as well). Fabspeed will likely also have a suggestion, and maybe a product, that could help with the snapped bolts.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:19 AM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I did get the exhaust fasteners from Fastenal, they almost always need to be replaced when you remove them anyway. I use copper on my 930 because I'm always removing them for some project, but they will be in place long enough on the 997 to rust no matter what they are. I'm going to see if a dealer can get me the proper external torx bolt for the bracket. I'm not sure what material they are and since they tap right into the aluminum on the bottom of the engine I want them to be correct.

PS, the machining inside the spark plug holes is just a thing of beauty.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2014, 02:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow great info guys....this can easily happen...this info needs to be easily accessed on this forum.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:37 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Do not use home depot. I do not know who makes those bolts for them but they bend and stretch as you try to tighten them, it is a waste of time.

Quick Reply: 997.2 bolt source