Sponsored by:

Paint retouching before installing invisible bra

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Bepe
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint retouching before installing invisible bra

I have a 2005 C2S that is in very nice shape and has a bra covering half the hood that is starting to yellow. I want to replace it with coverage for the full hood and front of the car (and mirrors, etc). There are a few very small marks where the paint has been damaged by gravel, etc. Will the bra cover these up, or do I need to get the spots touched up or sprayed first?

I'm in lower Westchester if anyone has a person or shop they would recommend.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would have them touched up but do not authorize a full respray as the clear bra will pull the paint off the next time you remove it.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 AM
mwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. It should get touched up first. I thought my frunk lid was in good shape. Then I got a clear bra and the tiny rock chips are now more apparent. That's what I get for being in a rush. My car is Atlas Grey and the chips were tiny so hard to see.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 31 Posts

Having monkeyed with clear bras a few times, your best bet is to re-bra only the areas that were previously. New clear bra over anything but perfect paint makes the barely noticeable chips more obvious as well as previous lines where bra begins/ends. A nice patina on one's car is much prefered (in my opinion) than one that has been retouched. Lastly, most clear bras I've removed over retouched paint usually shucks off the non-original paint also, which kinda defeats the purpose. The paint is what you're trying to protect, right?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

zoomie is right, the touched up areas will pull right off when you replace the bra again. But I would personally vote for a bra to keep the remaining paint as perfect as possible, especially if its in really good shape.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:26 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

you should have the painting done then wait a couple months before you put a clear bra on it. But if its hi quality factory type paint and body shop, the new paint will be the same as factory and would not come off. It should be nearly impossible to peal off.

Quick Reply: Paint retouching before installing invisible bra