Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo replacement for 2007 911 (w/Bose)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stereo replacement for 2007 911 (w/Bose)

I've been searching on this subject and I haven't found anything current. From what i've read replacing the stereo unit on the Porsche with the Bose unit isn't an easy task.

Anyone have any updates or suggestions on replacements that include Navigation, BT, USB, BT Audio, Sirius/XM, CD?

Any suggestions on sponsors here that would be a good source of help?

I contacted Crutchfield... their response was that it's a complete b*tch replacing the head unit:

-So replacing the radio in this vehicle is not an easy task.
-We do not have an installation kit to make a new radio an easy fit.
-If you want to replace the radio you'll need to fabricate a custom install bracket and you may have to modify your existing dash panel.
-The wiring is also a challenge as you'll have to hardwire all the connections and bypass the Bose amp system by running new wire speaker wire to each speaker.

Not sure how accurate the above is. I'm not very happy with the Tookie system and I think it doesn't play properly through the speakers. You can hear a difference with the radio/CD system.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:17 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

You can buy the kit from Nav TV that uses the most box to interface with the oem harness and use a double din radio from the usual vendors such as pioneer or alpine or JVC. I bought it but decided to use the OEM radio and add the Surius radio since the previous owner had a parrot Bluetooth indtalled akready. The Nav TV kit to keep the Bose is 700 or so dollars, I went through this whole process a few weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:28 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your choice is to either replace the head unit and sub plus re-wire the speakers or use a NAV-TV MOST adaptor to keep the current sub and wiring.

You need to decide which is more important, better sound or better features. Depending on your skill, re-wiring your current speakers and replacing the head unit and sub would be best. However, that will cost quite a bit of money and time especially if you don't have the skills and have a shop do it. The MOST adaptor is the easiest as you can buy whatever head-unit and install it yourself but there's likely not going to be an improvement in sounds plus there's the whole resale aspect. Personally, I think the NAV-TV MOST connector is overpriced for what it is and given my experience with their BT unit, I'd like to have another option.

What it comes down to is your goals on upgrading. If you're ok with the NAV-TV option and head-unit of your choice, that's the easiest path to have more modern features in the stero unit but the quality won't be better. If you decide to re-wire, might as well upgrade the drivers while you're at it.

No, no real easy or fairly inexpensive way.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM
DC911S
Drifting

If you keep the Bose, get the Nav-TV kit, and then the aftermarket head, and the satellite radio module.....that's and easy 2K spent. But you get the latest and greatest head unit with satellite radio capability, Bluetooth, current maps, and Apple play if you want that. If you buy all the items and go to a shop, the you pay install fee too. Now you are up to 2500.00. However the Nav-TV kit is plug and play if you have done a few car systems before, as I have done, its easy to connect together. The hardest part was that optical connector to get unplugged. But I need glasses. There are lots of threads in here on this subject, but I just saved you lots of search time. If you go aftermarket head unit, it affects what you can see on the OEM display for the Chrono lap times and what they dash center display shows too. So I got the Nav-TV Sirius unit that integrates into the OEM head unit and I'm fine with that.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

tempting. What is this nav tv?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:16 PM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

my brother has 07 carrera s with bose- cdn car
mine is US car 08 carrera S doesn t say bose. What do you recomend ? better sound would be nice . Don't need gps or anything
Old 11-03-2014, 11:01 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't Pioneer also make a head unit that fits almost perfectly, and includes all the bells and whistles he's looking for?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:11 PM
DC911S
Drifting

All vendors make single and double DIN head units that will work As said, if you want to keep Bose and stock wiring and speakers you need the Nav-TV kit or buy their kit where you rip it all out, something I would never do on a 100K car. A Toyota sure, but not a Porsche. If you send the new head unit wiring harness to them they will solder up the wiring for you. Then its plug and play, and IF you have good eyes you can get the optical connector apart, splice in the loop, connect it back up….and away you go. But you will still have to route a new GPS antenna and the satellite radio antenna. So if you have never done a car stereo and things like that…..take it to a good car radio shop for the install.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Thanks guys, I've been doing a lot of research on this.

I've decided on the Pioneer 8000NEX. Top of the line and their apple play is just awesome. 7" unit so it should fit perfectly. The demo on their website completely sold me. Surprised Crutchfield didn't know anything about the NAV-TV unit that simplifies the install. Just need to figure out how to get the porsche crest as the wall paper and find the dash kit with Porsche on the top

http://www.navtv.com/product/217/mos...eShowProduct=1

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-8000NEX

My buddy can get it at cost since he knows a distributor so should be a pretty sweet deal.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Why does everyone say they need to rewire speakers?! Use a crossover and use oem wiring. Is that not possible?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Why does everyone say they need to rewire speakers?! Use a crossover and use oem wiring. Is that not possible?
No clue... i'm not a speaker wizard so this is new turf for me. I think it's because it uses optical wiring
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 AM
spur911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mk3boy
tempting. What is this nav tv?
NavTV makes the interface unit to give you sat radio with your existing radio,
its what i did and works great to have basic Sat with existing system,,,,,
Spur,,,,,,,,
Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Yes and no. For a 997.1 Bose setup, there are fiber optic cables running from the PCM head unit to the Bose amplifier. Regular copper wires run from the Bose amplifier to the speakers. You have a couple of options here:

1. Only swap the head unit, keeping the Bose amplifier and OEM speakers. You need the MOST/HUR adapter to splice the aftermarket radio into the fiber optic network (MOST)

2. Replace both the head unit and the Bose amplifier. Here you need to run new wires from the head unit to the amplifier, replacing the fiber optic network. The wiring from the amplifier to each speaker can remain.

3. Replace everything, head unit, amplifier, speakers. Same as #2 above but the speakers get swapped out. Often people will run lower gauge wires from the amplifier to the speakers since everything else is being replaced. But it's not necessary.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:52 PM
msavage99
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my stereo head started doing this -- everything works fine, just the screen goes wonky. Sometimes it's completely black, others, it is fine, and sometimes it looks like the attached picture. Thoughts?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Crash613
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrection from the dead! I am in a similar situation... All I want is bluetooth.. I can keep the head unit... Thst seems to be the cheapest option.. Just want to add bluetooth... Has this been worked out?

Quick Reply: Stereo replacement for 2007 911 (w/Bose)