Cleaning / Maintaining Leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 AM
tigerspill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning / Maintaining Leather

Hi,

I am just wondering hope owners clean and maintain their leather - seats, dash etc. Maybe including the products to use and techniques (e.g. to stop clogging the small perforations in the seats.
Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 09:13 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

There are a number of threads re this subject and many good products, however Leatherique products seem to frequently rise to the top.

For the leather ventilated seats, there was a thread recently that seemed to unearth a product called
Leather Masters Nubuck Foaming Leather Cleaner Leather Masters Nubuck Foaming Leather Cleaner
which I've purchased but not yet used (lazy SOB I am!).
Old 11-03-2014, 09:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Zaino Z10 for leather.

303 for plastic, rubber, vinyl and tire dressing.

Clean leather and interior with Lexol cleaner. Orange bottle. Adam's is good too.

Last edited by LexVan; 11-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have used a more expensive OEM type leather kit with two bottles a sponge snd a cloth which was good but I also know many car owners who use IKEA:s very cheap leather kit and say it is excellent. Please note that normal leather preserving kits does not apply for nubuck, suede or alcantara.

The products I have tried contain one cleaning fluid and one preserver fluid plus one sponge and a cloth. You normally start with putting cleaning fluid in the sponge and squeeze it until a foam is created. Use the sponge on the leather with small circular motions. Allow 30 minutes to dry. After that you apply the leather preserving fluid with a cloth. Wipe off excess fluid. Allow to dry. I usually add two layers of leather preserver.

You can probably buy 100 different products and they will differ somewhat but to me the key is to do this relatively often. Once you tried - it does not have to take that long. The first time might take longer if you have to remove a lot of dirt etc. But if you keep it up on a regular basis 3-4 times per year it will not become that dirty and therefore it will go quick.

To have some leather wipes in the car is also a good intermediate solution to keep the leather lean and smooth on s daily basis or to temove stains directly.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:14 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I use the Zaino for leather. Really effective, not oily/slippery, not shiny, contains an SPF screen to protect the leather. And most of all, it smells like Porsche original leather and rejuvenates that new leather smell.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For Vinyl Cleaning: Griots Interior Cleaner
For Vinyl/plastic/rubber/trim conditioning: 303

Cleaning Leather: Leather Master Strong Cleaner or Leatherique Revjuventator
Conditioning: Prestine Clean every three months.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:02 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

used griots leather care…now using leather master pristing clean seems the same for me…both are good
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently using Pinnacle products for my Leather and Vinyl (two different products) but I do agree that 303 is the best preserver of Vinyl and rubber as I have used it on many cars in the past. Not sure about leather products yet but the Pinnacle product I am using is a cleaner and conditioner in one and it seems pretty good and simple to use. I may try Griots products next???
Old 11-04-2014, 09:53 AM
energetik9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
I use the Zaino for leather. Really effective, not oily/slippery, not shiny, contains an SPF screen to protect the leather. And most of all, it smells like Porsche original leather and rejuvenates that new leather smell.
+1 for Zaino leather care. I use multiple Zaino products for my car care. Google "Zainostore" for the products. Not the best website, but great car care products.

Always hear great things about Leatherique.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Whatever you use, remember that LESS is more.

This leather is specifically prepared for in-vehicle application. You do not want to condition dash leather as softening it can cause issues later. Seats, on the other hand, or areas your body may touch when driving, should be lightly cleaned and conditioned, once or twice a year.

A close friend of mine has been in the leather repair business most of his life. He does quite a bit of the high line work in town for dealers with CPO cars and others needing touch ups. I've followed his advice for years.

When I treat/clean the turbo leather interior, I use the following techniques (it's natural leather):

Wipe with a soft cloth or sponge, dipped in a container of warm water with a touch of suds.
Wipe with microfiber or all cotton. Do not douse the leather, just a light wipe down of major areas.
Apply your favorite leather cleaner if spots or other areas need work.
Apply your favorite leather conditioner LIGHTLY by putting it ON YOUR HANDS and working it into the leather gently, covering all areas. Let sit 5 minutes. Gently wipe down with all cotton or microfiber.

Do not use force, you can scratch leather.

Go gently. Your leather will last a long time.

(I use Lexol on leather products, Vinylex on non leather)

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy

This leather is specifically prepared for in-vehicle application. You do not want to condition dash leather as softening it can cause issues later. Seats, on the other hand, or areas your body may touch when driving, should be lightly cleaned and conditioned, once or twice a year.

A close friend of mine has been in the leather repair business most of his life. He does quite a bit of the high line work in town for dealers with CPO cars and others needing touch ups. I've followed his advice for years.

When I treat/clean the turbo leather interior, I use the following techniques (it's natural leather):

Wipe with a soft cloth or sponge, dipped in a container of warm water with a touch of suds.
Wipe with microfiber or all cotton. Do not douse the leather, just a light wipe down of major areas.
Apply your favorite leather conditioner LIGHTLY by putting it ON YOUR HANDS and working it into the leather gently, covering all areas. Let sit 5 minutes. Gently wipe down with all cotton or microfiber.

As Eric says, less is more. For conditioning I tried them all and the only I use is Sonus leather conditioner applied lightly with a soft sponge.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:36 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone tried Porsche Leather Cleaner?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:51 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

When did we stop using WD40?
Old 11-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy

Eric's procedure is excellent and with exception of applying product with my hands I follow it for all our cars and have always received compliments on the condition. I usually apply using a soft microfiber and applying the product on the MF first so I can control how much is applied and how it's spread.

Personally I haven't had good luck with Lexol. Griots is good and smells great. Still I prefer Leatherique and Leather Master for cleaning/conditioning.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

One key is to guard against everyday use and dye transfer from stuff like jeans, leather belts, leather coats, purses, jean rivets. The list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist

Quick Reply: Cleaning / Maintaining Leather