Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Carrera GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:32 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly how I would want my GTS spec'd. Love the tail lights. Awesome car!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:23 AM
cubsko
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. A real nice one!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 AM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats from a fellow Michiganian!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Congratulations and welcome Glad to see the car stay in the rennlist family. Enjoy and keep us updated with modifications.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Great looking car! And it's stick! Enjoy. I probably wouldn't have traded in the turbo, but completely understand your rationale. I would not of been able to drive it and enjoy it also because of it's increasing value.
I struggled for almost a year with whether or not to keep the turbo. The car is an icon and now is valued as such. I had a great ten-year run with it and it became part of my identity - people in my local PCA chapter knew the car better than they knew me! In the end, I decided I'm a driver and not a collector. I was able to buy the GTS and still have a large amount of $$ left over, that helped ease the pain of letting the turbo go...
Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow! Congrats on the Porsche swap, I would have done the same thing!

Love the Alcantara interior!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo3.6
I struggled for almost a year with whether or not to keep the turbo. The car is an icon and now is valued as such. I had a great ten-year run with it and it became part of my identity - people in my local PCA chapter knew the car better than they knew me! In the end, I decided I'm a driver and not a collector. I was able to buy the GTS and still have a large amount of $$ left over, that helped ease the pain of letting the turbo go...
I just let go of a 92 964 C2 manual...didn't get quite the bump you got but I was able to make a fair amount of money which in turn made buying my 05 easier. I also made the same decision you made, that a collector should own my car *(less than 50K miles) instead of me driving it 10K a year.

The 3.6T is a monster car but the money they bring is stupid good right now. I think you made the right decision.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo3.6
Hey Guys,

Recently joined the 997 club with this 2011 Carrera GTS!

First off, the car’s particulars:

Carrera White/Black Alcantara
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
603 Bi-Xenon headlights w/ PDLS
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Navigation Mod-PCM 3.0
680 Bose Surround Sound System
686 XM Satellite Radio
P17 Sports Suspension
XXG Clear Taillights

Bought it from a fellow Rennlister who only had it for three months; he bought it after the original owner traded it in. Shawn was a great seller; I flew to San Francisco to see the car and we spent a great afternoon blasting around town. He was very accommodating with his schedule throughout the whole sale process and things couldn’t have gone better; it was a great car buying experience.

I had owned a ’94 turbo 3.6 for the last ten years. Fabulous car, but it had simply become way too valuable for me to enjoy owning and driving it. When I bought the turbo I figured it was depreciation proof back then but the recent run up in value turned it into a collector car, and that is not me.

So I cashed-in my “investment” and went shopping. Originally I intended to buy a 996 or 997.1 GT3. I have lusted for the hard core GT3 for many years and now I had my chance. However, my eight-year-old daughter loved riding in the back of the turbo and was equally as excited as me at the prospect of a new Porsche in the family. My wife was also looking forward to having a Porsche that we could enjoy as a family and that she could drive occasionally with out worry.

So the GTS became the perfect compromise. The combination of the power kit, sport seats, C4 wide body, and sports suspension make for a compelling package. She will see a good mix of track and street time – it will be cool to have a real driver for a change!

Throughout the whole process I found numerous threads and tons of great information in this and the GT3 forums that answered questions and provided valuable insight that had a big influence on my purchase. Thanks to all who take the time to post such great stuff here; I will do my best to contribute as payback.

Here are some pictures – Shawn, I hope you don’t mind that I used your pics, since you are a professional, mine wouldn’t do the car justice!
Great outcome. The GTS is pretty fab as is buying from a solid RLer. A good buying process makes all the better. The chase. As I recall, buying my car from a RLer wasn't easy. Like in trying to date his daughter. In the end, he let her go and gave me a good test drive and send off. He knew she was going to a good home.

Cheers and enjoy!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Very, very nice!! It's really hard to beat white on a 911. You must be over the moon!

Cheers and congrats!!

Ross
Old 11-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

gorgeous! Almost bought the same exact car! If it only had the aero package.

Enjoy
Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations and cool story on how you came about your GTS...welcome to the 997 forums.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Originally Posted by PC's 997S
Congrats from a fellow Michiganian!
Hey thanks, but you know it's Michigander right?!

Where in the mitten are you? PCA member?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for all the good replies.

To quote Gasguzlr, I am "over the moon" to have this in my garage. This thing just feels so right! While the turbo boost was a real kick in the a$$, I love the instant throttle response and the linear acceleration of the NA engine. Three generations on from the 964 and the steering is still just as alive and full of information. I can't wait for Spring and the new track season to really get to know her!

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

That is whats perfect on the 997, the steering. They perfected it before replacing it.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Perk10
Exactly how I would want my GTS spec'd. Love the tail lights. Awesome car!
X2!!!

THIS might make me part with my 09 C2S if I found the right one. Well done!!

Quick Reply: 2011 Carrera GTS