Sponsored by:

PDK Clutch Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default PDK Clutch Oil

My owner's manual calls for PDK Clutch Oil change at 6 years. I took delivery in October of 2008, so it is time to this service. I just got off the phone with the service adviser at the local Porsche dealership and they had never heard of the requirement. On the one hand it isn't surprising as mine was likely the first PDK car they delivered. However, you would expect the dealer to have that information. Has anyone had their PDK Clutch Oil changed?
Old 10-29-2014, 03:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

The clutch oil and the transmission oil should be changed IMHO. Same for coolant.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:00 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by ADias
The clutch oil and the transmission oil should be changed IMHO. Same for coolant.
Doesn't answer the question, has anyone had it done yet?
Old 10-29-2014, 05:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I had it done...there are 2 oils to change...PDK Clutch Oil and a PDK Gear Oil thats tied into the PDK system. Change both of those. I think the serve is around $500

Go by the owners manual....or do better than what it calls for.

Last edited by mdrums; 10-29-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Doesn't answer the question, has anyone had it done yet?
What difference does it make?

If your owners manual calls for a PDK clutch oil change at 6 years then have it done. And report back so others will have the benefit of you having gone through this.

Too late for you but I'm afraid that in some cases one must be proactive and have with him pertinent servicing info so when he gets a service advisor who is not aware of some service (more on this below) he can help set the SA straight.

BTW, while many SA's I encounter are very nice people and some quite knowledgeable they are not all that knowledgeable. Some just haven't had the time to learn more about these cars. And sometimes techs are less than forthcoming with info so the SA is kind of in the dark.

It would be nice if the SA would take it upon himself to familiarize himself with the servicing schedule but there are so many cars, so many servicing schedules, and changes to these, that often the tech has to look up the latest to know what is required and when.

So I do not necessarily give an SA bad marks if he is not intimately aware of some particular service. (But he should offer to look this up or in some way find out and get this info to you.)

This is why when you go to bring your car in for what appears to be a scheduled service like this PDK clutch oil business you have the owners manual with you and bookmarked so you can open it up and quote chapter and verse.

If the SA says something like that's been changed then you will request a printout of this to place in the manual.

Or my preference would be to thank the SA for that info and book the car in for the service. (I think the PDK, while it and its clutches, will prove to be quite reliable and long lived, the PDK (and its clutches) should receive periodic fluid/filter services to keep these at their best.)

If you get any pushback from the SA ask the SA to point out the GM so you can go to the GM and ask him where he would have you go to get your car serviced.

'course, you should already know the GM's name and what he (or she) looks like so you can name drop if you must, if the SA balks some more.

I like good SA's, and I'm willing to cut any of them some slack under some circumstances, but I don't have a problem scaring the you know what out of the bum ones if they try to pull a fast one on me.

OTOH, when the GM walks by I make it a point to speak to the GM and ask him how he is, how's business, etc. And when the opportunity presents itself I make it a point to praise to him the service department, the SA and techs (by name) who have worked on my car.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:59 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Wasn't intending to bad mouth the service writer. He has always done a good job. After I first called and talked to him to schedule the appointment and asked to have the PDK Clutch Oil changed he checked, called back and said that "yes, this is the first time we have done it in this shop." That was what I expected. He said the oil is on order and will be in-house Monday when I arrive.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I proactively had the Pdk gear oil changed @40k miles last spring (after all that scare talk of Pdk failures. Also got a Platinum warranty from Fidelity). The book said to do it at 60k. The clutch oil @100k but I would do that at about 75k if I still have the car. Cost just over $200. I never noticed any difference except I sleep better 😀
Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

09 c2s....no
Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I didn't make 6 years, but had it changed at 60,000 miles during the regular service 10 months ago. About $500 as I remember
Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Had an appointment with the local dealer this morning for this service along with some other service. About a hour after dropping the car off they called and said they didn't have any PDK clutch oil and that it was back ordered and they weren't sure when it would be available. WTF?
Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Under the in case it is helpful category - there are two sections in the WM for 997/PDK the service folks need to consult. They are WM 370235 & WM 370255. It is important to note there are two fill locations - transmission and clutch. The transmission can only be properly filled by using PIWIS II as the PDK needs to be in "fill" mode to ensure proper fluid amount (WM 370235).

This should be a very simple procedure at the dealer.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Had an appointment with the local dealer this morning for this service along with some other service. About a hour after dropping the car off they called and said they didn't have any PDK clutch oil and that it was back ordered and they weren't sure when it would be available. WTF?
Too late for you but you should have called first to confirm the necessary fluids/supplies were in fact present. A good friend of mind used to have the parts department employee pull the items and have them in front of him as a way to be sure all the necessary stuff was present before heading in to have the car worked on.

If I'm dropping one of my cars off I generally don't care and am prepared to wait a day (or longer) for things to come in.

In the infrequent case I'm going to wait for the car I either buy and have the items necessary for the service/repair in the car with me -- I buy them from the dealer's parts department and have the invoice with me in the car -- or I call ahead to confirm the parts are there or before stopping at the SM's desk to drop off the key to the car I walk on back to the parts department to confirm the parts are there.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
Too late for you but you should have called first to confirm the necessary fluids/supplies were in fact present. A good friend of mind used to have the parts department employee pull the items and have them in front of him as a way to be sure all the necessary stuff was present before heading in to have the car worked on.

If I'm dropping one of my cars off I generally don't care and am prepared to wait a day (or longer) for things to come in.

In the infrequent case I'm going to wait for the car I either buy and have the items necessary for the service/repair in the car with me -- I buy them from the dealer's parts department and have the invoice with me in the car -- or I call ahead to confirm the parts are there or before stopping at the SM's desk to drop off the key to the car I walk on back to the parts department to confirm the parts are there.
Check my earlier post. I did call. The first call the service writer said he didn't know anything about doing this. He then called me back and said they could do it and that the parts were available, and made an appointment.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Check my earlier post. I did call. The first call the service writer said he didn't know anything about doing this. He then called me back and said they could do it and that the parts were available, and made an appointment.
Sorry, missed that part. That is -- to state the obvious -- not very good service. Not sure what you can do about it.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:37 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Macster
Sorry, missed that part. That is -- to state the obvious -- not very good service. Not sure what you can do about it.
Not much. At least it is only a 30 min drive and not like someone living in Arkansas who would have had a 300 mile drive.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Oil