PLEASE HELP: How to Jump a 997TT

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Raron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP: How to Jump a 997TT

Hi guys,

I just returned home from a trip to find my new to me 997TT waiting. However, it is dead. I found the positive red rectangular terminal in the fuse box that you are supposed to pull out. However the surround is so close I could not get anything around it. Instead it went in deeper.

How does this work? Is there another positive terminal? Please help, it is blocking my other cars in as well.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:23 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Raron
Hi guys,

I just returned home from a trip to find my new to me 997TT waiting. However, it is dead. I found the positive red rectangular terminal in the fuse box that you are supposed to pull out. However the surround is so close I could not get anything around it. Instead it went in deeper.

How does this work? Is there another positive terminal? Please help, it is blocking my other cars in as well.
Needle nose pliers should allow you to grab it.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Raron
Instructor

Problem is that it has pushed further in. Each time I try to get skinny tweezers around it it goes deeper. How do I push power through cig lighter so I can pop hood? I cannot attach a jumper cable to cig lighter can I?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:44 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Raron
Instructor

Was able to use a wire hanger to enter the slot under it and hook pull the red slot above. Its out and I'm attaching cable. Very small spark and not enough to even power seats. Is this normal?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM
Raron
Instructor

I understand I use the internal terminal just to pop the hood and then use battery. But power hood still isn't getting opening. No lights come one. When I turn the ignition I hear a click and the key has released so I know the car is getting SOME power.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small spark when you attach cable? Normal.

Not enough juice to crank car? Raise the engine speed of the car providing the power and/or let the cable stay connected for a minute or so before jumping.

Connecting Battery Pos to Battery Pos and Battery Neg to Battery Neg will first try and charge the battery, so starting the car may take longer.

Connecting Battery Pos to Battery Pos and Battery Neg to dead car ground will x-fer more power to the starter motor.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:52 PM
MarcoRemius
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the battery is shot (dead/shorted/toast) you may not even be able to jump it. Good luck.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:51 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I understand I use the internal terminal just to pop the hood and then use battery. But power hood still isn't getting opening. No lights come one. When I turn the ignition I hear a click and the key has released so I know the car is getting SOME power.
With power hooked up to the fuse box use your remote to open the hood.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:56 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Remove the battery and put it on a CTEK or similar battery tender overnight. The car is power hungry, and you'll not get a proper recharge by jumping and driving around.

There's a pin that carries power from the front, through the firewall and into the cabin; this can become corroded, and inhibits power distribution due to the corrosion (and heat from trying to jump start). Some techs will tell you that they need to remove the dash to get to it, this is not true. You can get to it from the passenger footwell if you remove the carpet. Makes it a much quicker job to repair or replace.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi guys,

Do not use the in fuse box connector to attempt to start the engine!

Do not even attempt to turn on the ignition.

This connector is simply there to allow you to supply enough power to open the front trunk.

If you want to jump start your car you do so with jumper cables properly connected to the battery terminals.

However, unless it is imperative you must jump start your car I would advise you to not attempt this.

Remove the battery and either recharge it or replace it.

Be sure when you remove the battery you follow the proper steps. And likewise when you install the battery.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Raron
Instructor

I picked up this Super Start from O'reilly which has a cig lighter which I can use to at least open the hood. Only issue is that it requires a 24h charge. Does anyone know if you can jump while it is plugged into wall outlet. If so I can then plug the cig lighter and pop hood for a real jump.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superstart-B..._Tools&vxp=mtr
Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Raron
Instructor

Thanks guys. Got it started by popping the trunk with the key fob.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:59 AM
secondshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual, if you have one, has a pretty good section on this. It's an unusual setup to say the least. Glad you got it figured out.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hm, I guess I should have tried the key fob. Seems odd that the physical hood-pop switch doesn't operate the hood release when battery power is connected to the red pin in the fuse panel (and neg clamped to the door hinge). I got the clacking or relay's sound, but nothing more and the hood release switch in the car rocker panel didn't do anything.

Ended up recharging the battery with the Porsche battery maintainer many hours and then could pop the hood from that switch. Assumed the Cobra JumpPack just didn't work well, as it was fully charged when I clamped it onto the fuse panel and door hinge... and it may just be operator error.
Always with the peculiar and very specific procedures with the Porsche.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP: How to Jump a 997TT