Sponsored by:

Painting controls on console

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:53 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Painting controls on console

Anyone know someone in the Houston area who does painting for the AC controls on the console, or if these can simple be replaced. The control with the fan symbol on it in my car is rapidly losing all the paint, and need to be repainted or replaced. thanks.

The center console from the arm rest to the dash could use painting as well so if anyone knows of a solution there, that would be great too.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The three solutions I hear most frequently in order of cost are:

1) Replacement AC module @ ~$500. This replaces the entire module with the AC switches on it with an updated version that doesn't have the soft touch paint.

2) Sticky-no-more @ $150 (if you send in your module) or $75 if you just send in the buttons. They're based in MD, I think but look for their website. They repaint the buttons and then put on a replica sticker. I had mine done and it looks loads better. But in the right light, the sticker is too shiny.

3) Black sharpie @ $3. Color the peeled paint parts with the sharpie. It no longer sticks out like a sore thumb, but you lose the icons on the button. And of course, they won't light up at night anymore.

Good luck.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:24 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotmilky
The three solutions I hear most frequently in order of cost are:

1) Replacement AC module @ ~$500. This replaces the entire module with the AC switches on it with an updated version that doesn't have the soft touch paint.

2) Sticky-no-more @ $150 (if you send in your module) or $75 if you just send in the buttons. They're based in MD, I think but look for their website. They repaint the buttons and then put on a replica sticker. I had mine done and it looks loads better. But in the right light, the sticker is too shiny.

3) Black sharpie @ $3. Color the peeled paint parts with the sharpie. It no longer sticks out like a sore thumb, but you lose the icons on the button. And of course, they won't light up at night anymore.

Good luck.

Do you know if the buttons below the AC part can be replaced? PASM, the spoiler button and the SPORT button? 997.1 car
Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM
BillB128
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Option #4 would be to use some Plasti-Dip spray. I had this issue on my previous car and used this method with good results.
I actually sprayed the material into the paint cap and then applied it like touch-up paint. The Plasti-Dip was a close match to the rubberized material on the A/C controls.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Old 09-22-2014, 03:31 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BillB128
Option #4 would be to use some Plasti-Dip spray. I had this issue on my previous car and used this method with good results.
I actually sprayed the material into the paint cap and then applied it like touch-up paint. The Plasti-Dip was a close match to the rubberized material on the A/C controls.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Ahh this would be much smarter I tried masking the buttons and spraying the switches. We'll it ended up a mess and the overspray caused the buttons to stick...

Will try this method next
Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

My fan switch was worn.
Some 3M black trim tape did the trick.
I knew, no one else noticed.
10 ₵
Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I can recommend option 2. One year later no issues. Very fast turnaround.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Just checked and prices went up to $100 (buttons only) and $175 (assembled unit).

Still a better option than replacing with an entire oem unit.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM
josephmonaco924
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Do you know if the buttons below the AC part can be replaced? PASM, the spoiler button and the SPORT button? 997.1 car
they are part of a set. You can replace the whole unit. Just have to locate one with same buttons. I got a used one for $35 on eBay.

Quick Reply: Painting controls on console