Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil level question

Hi guys

I have a 997.2 4s pdk

Something weird just happened, went for a drive and when I got home I checked the oil level.

Idle for 2 minutes, and the level indicated 2 low bars, and one full so i disconnected the car and add 150ml of Oil to slowly try to top it without to much oil.

Connected the car and the level was the same...2 low bars...so Im intriged, should i have Waited more time for a new reading or is this weird???

Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2014, 02:26 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

That's normal, as each bar represents a pretty good chunk of oil. Your oil level can change depending on conditions as well; since you've got 1 bar, you're OK- I'd drive it, and check again next time you're parked and see where the level's at. If it's still just 1 bar, add another 1/4 qt or so, and repeat until you're just into the 3rd bar. You do NOT want to overfill, and are better off going through this process a couple times than trying to do it all at once and accidentally putting in too much.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Pc007
Racer

Thanks sjfhr , i used to check the oil when the car was new, it spent almost a lt per 1000km, but now with 35000km the oil consumption reduced drastically.

One more question I have is how many litres or quarters are each bar in the level indicator?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

When the car is hot, driven for many miles, go park it, shut it down. wait a few. then restart it and let it run a couple minutes and read the level.
add a little at a time. Redo this process till its at the hi level.
You have to believe the readings. They are right.
Remember, to jump from one bar up to the next, you are at a particular level, then you have to add enough oil to make it go up to the next complete bar.
At the point you reach one bar, then you have to add the complete amount again to reach the next bar
So if your real oil level is just at the line of one bar, it may be just over it or just under it and it may fluxuate the readings till you add enough to reach the next bar
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a lot of fun in the threads if you poke around. Sometimes doing search, with specific parameters in the 'advanced search' isn't as fruitful as just trying good ol' Google - but one thing to remember is that when your oil is at operating temp and you wait a minute to check the oil level, but then check again in say, 5 minutes - the levels will be different, as that oil continues to make its way back down to the pan.

I have a 997.1 so regarding the 997.2 I'm mostly talking out of my trumpet, but the gauge on the 997.1 has an arrow up top, and an arrow at the bottom. I just try to keep the level between those arrows. I try to check the oil in the same scenario each time for consistency.

At my house, it's easy to check in the morning while cold, because the car is for sure on flat ground, and the reading comes up the quickest, so it's been my habit to check the level every morning before I start it up.

If I go tearing around in the mountains, (which happens quite a bit) or if I find myself chasing GT3's along the coast for a few hours, I always check the level when I get home, but I let the oil cool back down to around the 200˚ marker before turning the motor off, and then I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I actually check the level. Then I turn the key off, and check again.

I've had multiple instances where the "Check Oil Level" warning comes on, and I pull over, kill the motor, wait diligently for any number of minutes, and the oil level is actually above the halfway mark between the two arrows. So, I recommend checking twice before you add oil.

I've read some threads that indicate the motor can be running when checking the oil level on the 997.2. I don't know for sure, as I own a 997.1 - But, I do know for certain that it should not be checked (if you're expecting accuracy) when running on the 997.1 - Your manual would be the definitive answer on that.

Also, be aware that it's okay. The car will burn some oil. (Some do, some don't - some more, some less) but it's normal when they do. As long as your levels are somewhere comfortable for you, within the minimum and maximum, you're good to go.

Poke through some of these Googled up threads, and it will make a little more sense, and just become one of the little idiosyncrasies that become endearing to you over time, and helps you to feel more engaged and involved with your little frog.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...orsche%20997.2

Get out there and drive!

Good times,
Dan
Old 09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Pc007
Racer

Just checked the manual, each segment of the bar is 0.4 lt, I added 0.15 lt, so it would never increase a bar...

Usually I just wait for a bar to go down and add 200ml, but in the last 5.000km i Never checked it...

I allways check as CPO told me....when i get home, park in my garage, let it iddle for 2,3 minutes and with the car on, i check the oil level....but i really miss the dipstick....
Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

^^ I think we all do.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:59 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The 9A1 engine oil check (2009+) is a bit different from M96 (98-08) in that the oil can only be checked while the engine is idling at operating temperature- you can't check the oil level at all when the car is turned off or cold, which makes oil changes... interesting. There's a lot less variability in play with respect to oil temp and oil not yet drained back to the sump, but it's a much bigger pain in the *** to check. The dealer can hook up a PIWIS to get real-time readings at any points, but that's just unnecessarily complicated, and not something the rest of us can do; I really miss the venerable ole dipstick.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:17 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
Hi guys

I have a 997.2 4s pdk

Something weird just happened, went for a drive and when I got home I checked the oil level.

Idle for 2 minutes, and the level indicated 2 low bars, and one full so i disconnected the car and add 150ml of Oil to slowly try to top it without to much oil.

Connected the car and the level was the same...2 low bars...so Im intriged, should i have Waited more time for a new reading or is this weird???

Thanks guys
Umm, my milliliter-to-ounces conversion shows you added a whopping 5 ounces of oil! That's not even 1/6 of a quart. As others have advised, add 1/4 quart (8 ounces) at a time till you reach the top bar (I own an oil-burning Audi Q5 2.0T and have become an expert at adding oil -- my wife's 2011 Carrera S cab doesn't seem to burn much if any at all).
Old 09-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
There's a lot of fun in the threads if you poke around. Sometimes doing search, with specific parameters in the 'advanced search' isn't as fruitful as just trying good ol' Google - but one thing to remember is that when your oil is at operating temp and you wait a minute to check the oil level, but then check again in say, 5 minutes - the levels will be different, as that oil continues to make its way back down to the pan.

I have a 997.1 so regarding the 997.2 I'm mostly talking out of my trumpet, but the gauge on the 997.1 has an arrow up top, and an arrow at the bottom. I just try to keep the level between those arrows. I try to check the oil in the same scenario each time for consistency.

At my house, it's easy to check in the morning while cold, because the car is for sure on flat ground, and the reading comes up the quickest, so it's been my habit to check the level every morning before I start it up.

If I go tearing around in the mountains, (which happens quite a bit) or if I find myself chasing GT3's along the coast for a few hours, I always check the level when I get home, but I let the oil cool back down to around the 200˚ marker before turning the motor off, and then I let it sit for about 10 minutes before I actually check the level. Then I turn the key off, and check again.

I've had multiple instances where the "Check Oil Level" warning comes on, and I pull over, kill the motor, wait diligently for any number of minutes, and the oil level is actually above the halfway mark between the two arrows. So, I recommend checking twice before you add oil.

I've read some threads that indicate the motor can be running when checking the oil level on the 997.2. I don't know for sure, as I own a 997.1 - But, I do know for certain that it should not be checked (if you're expecting accuracy) when running on the 997.1 - Your manual would be the definitive answer on that.

Also, be aware that it's okay. The car will burn some oil. (Some do, some don't - some more, some less) but it's normal when they do. As long as your levels are somewhere comfortable for you, within the minimum and maximum, you're good to go.

Poke through some of these Googled up threads, and it will make a little more sense, and just become one of the little idiosyncrasies that become endearing to you over time, and helps you to feel more engaged and involved with your little frog.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...orsche%20997.2

Get out there and drive!

Good times,
Dan
Is that the Pacific Coast Highway? Beautiful road!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

I guess it is the PCH, never really thought of it like that, I've always thought of PCH as a Southern California moniker, but it is Highway 1, north of San Francisco, south of Point Reyes. It is a beautiful road, even in the fog, in the dark, or even in the rain.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Bodu
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dalancroft
(I own an oil-burning Audi Q5 2.0T and have become an expert at adding oil ).
Don't know if you're aware but there is an issue with the 2.0T engines.
they have a flaw, the 3rd segment does not do its job and they burn oil.

My 2009-Q5 suffered from that flaw and used up to 1L / 300kms (very far from the accepted level from Audi)
Had to change the segments, with participation from Audi

Try Googling "audi 2.0 oil issue"
Old 09-22-2014, 04:37 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodu
Don't know if you're aware but there is an issue with the 2.0T engines.
they have a flaw, the 3rd segment does not do its job and they burn oil.

My 2009-Q5 suffered from that flaw and used up to 1L / 300kms (very far from the accepted level from Audi)
Had to change the segments, with participation from Audi

Try Googling "audi 2.0 oil issue"
Merci Bodu. I am on the Audiworld Q5 forum almost every day, just as I visit this one regularly. I am well aware of the 2.0T's propensity to burn oil and right now mine is just within spec.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Bodu
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok good for you
;-)

Mine had the engine AND the STronic issues...
Tough luck :-(

Quick Reply: Oil level question