Sponsored by:

Need help, should have never purchased a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Forced induction will really screw up your right foot. Torque never feels right after you drive a 500hp+ car. It can take months even years for your brain to forget it. Your GTS will feel like a dog until your brain recovers.
Oh, I don't know. I drive my Turbo with 420hp and 413lbft of torque and then drive my Boxster with about half the HP and less than half the torque and it doesn't feel too bad.

Then after a day or two of only Boxster seat time and I really begin again to appreciate the much quicker shifting of the Boxster's 5-speed -- snick snick snick with no drama -- and the engine's low speed tractability thanks to its 11.3:1 compression ratio. The Turbo with its 9.4:1 compression ratio is a bit of a pig until RPMs build enough that boost happens.

On the street there's hardly any place to use all even the 996 Turbo has to offer. I mean out in the boonies and on a 2 lane road when passing opportunities arise the Turbo is one fast passer, there's no denying that. But one has to watch out and still keep the thing in check. Even if passing one should not exceed the posted limit.

And the Turbo is an effortless highway cruiser. It eats the miles be they flat or on hills/mountains and passes any vehicle downhill or uphill with ease.

However, even the lowly Boxster is a pretty good GT machine and spry in the mountains too even though it is not turbo-charged.

While I love my Turbo I love my Boxster too and do not feel I'm taking a step down by driving the Boxster. Around town and for my work commute it gets the call most of the time because in these types of usages it is the better car.

While they are different cars they both are a pleasure to drive. I'm sure the GTS is likewise a pleasurable car to drive.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Yep , you got bit. Try not to drive the Turbos anymore. That Torque is quite exhilarating.
Yup, when I was starting my evaluation to acquire my 911, I made that same mistake. Drove a 996TT first because it was at a dealership close to a hotel I was staying at on a business trip. Eventually I decided my car had to be a 997 for the better shape, better looking headlights, and nicer interior. Drove C2S and C4S cars and although my TT test drive had been quite a while before, remembered that drive, and the NA cars just didn't offer the same exhilaration. Started looking at 997 Turbos but they were out of my price range so I was kind of mentally stuck....then I got lucky, happened upon a 997 C2S that had been retrofitted with a supercharger setup from RUF (R-Kompressor) and at a price right between the Ss and the Turbos, and it gave me the best of both worlds. Almost TT levels of power and torque with zero lag, the rear wheel driving dynamics and agility, and the uniqueness offered by the RUF bodywork, so I snatched it up. I've done a bunch of updates since (RSS Suspension, Bilstein Damptronics, and other stuff) and it's the perfect car for me. Handles like a GT3, pulls like a freight train, and looks very unique - I just love it.

Although the GTS is awesome, if you've fallen in love with the power and torque of the TT, you'll always wish that was your car. I'd say sell the GTS while the value is still high (or in the spring when the market is better) and get the turbo. Waiting for the 991 GT3 prices to come down is only an option if you want a PDK car, which I personally do not. Is PDK the best gearbox of its kind, yes, is it faster than a 6 speed 0-60 and on a track, yes - I don't care - for a street car, it's less engaging and less fun to drive.

Just my 2 cents. They're all great cars and the reason Porsche makes so many variations is so you can get the one that's exactly right for you, whatever you decide that to be.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
First, No car is going to retain value. If you buy it , you are going to lose money.
Guess you've never heard of a 356 or 993! :-)
Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
Guess you've never heard of a 356 or 993! :-)
964 and 911S on the rise too - pretty much anything air cooled now.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Forced induction will really screw up your right foot. Torque never feels right after you drive a 500hp+ car. It can take months even years for your brain to forget it. Your GTS will feel like a dog until your brain recovers.
My last car was an '09 Corvette Z06 that had massive torque as compared to my GTS, but I love the GTS more than the Z06, overall. The problem with having 500+ HP is that you can't practically use it on public roads. By the time I was shifting into 3rd gear on an expressway on ramp, for example, I was already going in excess of 115 MPH. But, in my GTS, I'm able enjoy shifting through a couple of more gears onto the highway before shutting down to safer highway speeds.

It's the same thing on back roads and mountain twisties during one of my fun driving excursions. I can enjoy shifting through the gears and not even have to glance at the speedometer because I can feel that I'm still within a margin of safety. In the Z06, the car would climb into unsafe speeds for conditions so fast that you didn't have time to realize it. I felt like I was constantly having to hold the car back as opposed to letting it out.

I've had three Corvettes in total, but the Z06 was the first one that made me realize that I really enjoy superb handling over power, as long as I have enough power that I'm not constantly wishing that I had more. So far, I'm very satisfied with both the handling and the power of my GTS.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:42 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can see it is impossible to give the OP a definite answer.

The 996 TT depreciated very quickly. The 993 TT are appreciating and will likely continue to.

Most NA 911 will depreciate until they gain collector value.

However the GTS was a special NA 911 with options not otherwise available to other 911s and many consider it one of the best 911s ever. Add in the fact that it is one of the last 911s with hydraulic steering and I could definitely see the GTS maintaining it's value better than the everyday 911s and TTs.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

I would keep the GTS. Turbos are a dime a dozen compared to a special edition NA car like the GTS, 964 RS, 99* GT3, etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
My last car was an '09 Corvette Z06 that had massive torque as compared to my GTS, but I love the GTS more than the Z06, overall. The problem with having 500+ HP is that you can't practically use it on public roads. By the time I was shifting into 3rd gear on an expressway on ramp, for example, I was already going in excess of 115 MPH. But, in my GTS, I'm able enjoy shifting through a couple of more gears onto the highway before shutting down to safer highway speeds.

It's the same thing on back roads and mountain twisties during one of my fun driving excursions. I can enjoy shifting through the gears and not even have to glance at the speedometer because I can feel that I'm still within a margin of safety. In the Z06, the car would climb into unsafe speeds for conditions so fast that you didn't have time to realize it. I felt like I was constantly having to hold the car back as opposed to letting it out.

I've had three Corvettes in total, but the Z06 was the first one that made me realize that I really enjoy superb handling over power, as long as I have enough power that I'm not constantly wishing that I had more. So far, I'm very satisfied with both the handling and the power of my GTS.
I had a Shelby GT500 boosted up to just over 700hp and 690 lb/tq for 4 years paired with my 997S. I will say that the torque of that vehicle never messed with my 911 experience, together they made a great garage and I enjoyed each car for it's indivividual strengths. I could drive them back to back and NOT be spoiled by the torque of one or the handling of the other because the driving dynamic of each was exhilarating and the character of each car shined in it's own way on the road.

However, when I SOLD the Shelby GT500 and bought that Boss302 (same S-197 platform) I was screwed up. Yes the sound, handling, and overall experience of the Boss302 was much more of a race car than the Shelby, BUT the right foot felt off for months - NOT having that 700hp under the right foot felt like something was missing. Why isn't this car taking off like a jet when I press that pedal to the floor? It hit me everytime - and took over 7,000 miles of driving the Boss to "unlearn" the torque monster of the right foot pedal. Really did mess up the experience for my first 6 months. Now that time has passed I don't expect 700 lb/tq under that right foot and the stock Boss' 444hp 380 lb/tq feels fantastic and more than enough.

That experience made me cautious. When I decided last week that I preferred the 997S looks over the 997TT I refused to drive the Turbo. I knew that my right foot might just get used to the ridiculous power level and then constantly torment my mind every 911 N/A drive.

Boost can be like crack cocaine, you smoke it and BOOM now you need that hard hit every time because that regular cocaine just isn't cutting it anymore. I prefer to stay away.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I think the comments about depreciation on the turbo are definitely correct if you buy a new turbo. If you buy a used turbo and let somebody else take the big depreciation hit, then you might find a car that holds value pretty well. They certainly aren't going to appreciate in value like a 993 TT, but they will hold value better than a C2, for example. I do think the GTS will hold value pretty well too because it is one of the more limited production naturally aspirated cars. It's hard to predict what the market will do. Some people feel that the 997 turbo will hold value because it was the last 911 turbo offered with a manual transmission. Some people feel that the 997.1 turbo will hold value because it was the last turbo with the Mezger engine. Hard to say...

Ultimately you have to decide if you're buying a car to drive it and enjoy it or if you're buying it as an investment.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

which car do you prefer driving???

Quick Reply: Need help, should have never purchased a Porsche