Sponsored by:

997.1 vs Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I found this regarding the Panamera Turbo S pricing. I hope your books sell well as I can only imagine what the loss in residual value will be.

ATLANTA — The 570-horsepower 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo S starts at $181,295, including a $995 destination charge, reflecting a $5,020 price increase over the 2013 model. The Turbo S models will arrive in U.S. showrooms early next year.

A new 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo S Executive model starts at $201,495, including shipping. The Executive model is a long-wheelbase version of the car that has been stretched by 6 inches. This model will make its world debut at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show. The Executive model targets the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class, as well as the long-wheelbase version of the Audi A8.

* The Audi RS7 that I drove was very well equipped with a sticker of $122,000. I thought it was high, but compared to the Panamera Turbo S, it's a bargain.
I didn't know a Panamera could get that expensive. For that price, even if I want a 4 door sports sedan badly there's no way I would even look at a Panamera. Aston Martin Rapide all the way.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by php
I didn't know a Panamera could get that expensive. For that price, even if I want a 4 door sports sedan badly there's no way I would even look at a Panamera. Aston Martin Rapide all the way.
At 200 grand, I'd be looking for a used FF.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:53 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass
At 200 grand, I'd be looking for a used FF.
I was at the dealer on Monday, they had a $236k CAD Turbo Exec in the showroom...wow and why.

I had a Panamera 4 over a weekend, I liked it as did my wife. It's good for what it is. Not totally sold on the styling and haven't driven any comparable luxury sedans in recent years to compare.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:42 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
It's a giant tub of ****. I had one as a loaner, couldn't wait to turn the keys back in and get my 911 back (a real Porsche).
While a Panamera S/4S isn't as nimble as a 997 I would hardly label it "a giant tub of ****". I drove one at a track day and also on the road. I don't love the looks but for a sedan its a fantastic vehicle. From a power/handling/functionality perspective, I'd place it above almost any sedan on the road (price is a different issue)

It's not a 911. Comparing it to one is apples and oranges.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
While a Panamera S/4S isn't as nimble as a 997 I would hardly label it "a giant tub of ****". I drove one at a track day and also on the road. I don't love the looks but for a sedan its a fantastic vehicle. From a power/handling/functionality perspective, I'd place it above almost any sedan on the road (price is a different issue)

It's not a 911. Comparing it to one is apples and oranges.
Not me, i'd take a Bentley or Jaguar anyday of the week over Panamerica.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
I was at the dealer on Monday, they had a $236k CAD Turbo Exec in the showroom...wow and why.

I had a Panamera 4 over a weekend, I liked it as did my wife. It's good for what it is. Not totally sold on the styling and haven't driven any comparable luxury sedans in recent years to compare.
FTR, I love the interior of the Panameras. I think I too would rather have the big Jag than a Panamera. I could probably make do with a moderately optioned XJR at around 130K vice a 230K Panamera.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:44 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
In trying to stay on point to the original question:

1. No car does everything well. Something with so many moving parts, well, there are always compromises.

2. If you are looking for a car to track and drive on mountain roads, the Panamera may not be the best choice. As others have said, perhaps M-Power is a better performing option if you need more practical cargo and passenger space. At any rate, even if you are made of money (and those who are tend to be the more parsimonious) a BMW would cost tens of thousands less for probably better performance and styling (v. Panamera) - unless the status of a Porsche is something you want.

3. If you are able go and test drive the Panamera, then read these comments so you'll have context.

4. I have no doubt that everyone who was given a Panamera as a loaner is being totally honest about how they feel about the car. Two things though. Loaners tend to be the most stripped down, cheapest version of a model. I suspect all the glowing reviews of the Panamera are a product of testing one with all the expensive performance options. The second thing is that you have 911 enthusiasts hating this car (stripped down status notwithstanding). That should tell you less about the Panamera and more about the fact that it is not going to handle, perform, etc. like a 911 - if that is what you are looking for.
I had the loaner last year and it was a 2013 Panamera S that was nicely equipped and not a stripped version.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:47 PM
beden1
Pro

A BMW 7 Series or the new Mercedes S Class are both great sedans, although neither would be canyon runners. That's why I suggested the Audi RS7.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I had the loaner last year and it was a 2013 Panamera S that was nicely equipped and not a stripped version.
My dealer gives out Panny S loaners. When I was there in June for service I got a 240 mile Cayenne GTS. That is a sweet truck. I actually like my dealer. Car pick up and drop off service.
Back to the OP.
Can't compare the 2. I actually like the Panny for what it is. Big *** 4 door sedan. Handles better than anything in it's size class(7 series BMW or 8 Series Audi and Benz S class)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
beden1
Pro

Originally Posted by Little Green
My dealer gives out Panny S loaners. When I was there in June for service I got a 240 mile Cayenne GTS. That is a sweet truck. I actually like my dealer. Car pick up and drop off service.
Back to the OP.
Can't compare the 2. I actually like the Panny for what it is. Big *** 4 door sedan. Handles better than anything in it's size class(7 series BMW or 8 Series Audi and Benz S class)
Porsche of the Main Line? That's where I get my car serviced and they've been good so far.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps they could put the internals from a Panamera Turbo into a Rapide...
Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Yep. POTML.
Good folks so far
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

PCC is right. The Panamera is a great sports sedan. For a driver, who I define as a car operator who feels the car and knows all the time what the 4 patches do and what the steering communicates, there is no sedan in the world that drives like the Panamera. It's a driver's car. MB, BMW, Audi, Bentley, RR, etc, just do not measure the same way... that is, from a driver's perspective.

Now, if you are a passenger... there are good/better sedans out there.

Note: my POV comes from someone who does not care about sedans or has currently one. But, yes, I do respect the Panamera.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:38 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I drove a Pan4 recently and I have to say I quite liked it. If I need a 4 door sedan, it would be at the top of my list along with the E63.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Amen Brother! The Panamerica was, mechanics/functionality notwithstanding, one ugly stepchild!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs Panamera 4S