Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 vs Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:47 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

No museum, cars where once my favorite hobby I lost count at 426 almost every one of them was taken apart and modified for my needs. I am one who thinks no car is perfect from the factory since they are made to fits the needs of a wide variety of drivers. Over the last 40 years I have patented around 50 things that have to do with cars and have owned multiple Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Lamborghini's. Not to mention just about every M car made in the last 20 years. Now I write novels (#3 is coming out soon). You see I never made it past the 8th grade and once called a refrigerator box home. I had a lot to prove when I was younger. At this point in my life I am at the been there done that stage when it comes to cars and I have as much fun in my little modified Abarth than I do in other cars that cost 20 times as much. I find it funny that some of you think the Panamera is a POS, maybe you should take a ride in a turbo S with a driver that knows what they are doing. You might change your mind real fast.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

OP...Is the Panny in addition to 911? Or, does it replace 911? For the former - I'd vote yes. For the latter - no way!...T
Old 09-20-2014, 09:34 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have both. The 911 is just pure joy. Makes you smile every time you get in it. The Panamera can't be that. For what it is, it does it very well. It is still fun pushing the Sport Plus button and hearing the V8 growl as the wing rises in the back. My 2 kids are both 6 ft 3 and taller so best car to take 4 adults in comfort
Old 09-20-2014, 10:18 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
No museum, cars where once my favorite hobby I lost count at 426 almost every one of them was taken apart and modified for my needs. I am one who thinks no car is perfect from the factory since they are made to fits the needs of a wide variety of drivers. Over the last 40 years I have patented around 50 things that have to do with cars and have owned multiple Ferrari's, Maserati's, and Lamborghini's. Not to mention just about every M car made in the last 20 years. Now I write novels (#3 is coming out soon). You see I never made it past the 8th grade and once called a refrigerator box home. I had a lot to prove when I was younger. At this point in my life I am at the been there done that stage when it comes to cars and I have as much fun in my little modified Abarth than I do in other cars that cost 20 times as much. I find it funny that some of you think the Panamera is a POS, maybe you should take a ride in a turbo S with a driver that knows what they are doing. You might change your mind real fast.
I found this regarding the Panamera Turbo S pricing. I hope your books sell well as I can only imagine what the loss in residual value will be.

ATLANTA — The 570-horsepower 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo S starts at $181,295, including a $995 destination charge, reflecting a $5,020 price increase over the 2013 model. The Turbo S models will arrive in U.S. showrooms early next year.

A new 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo S Executive model starts at $201,495, including shipping. The Executive model is a long-wheelbase version of the car that has been stretched by 6 inches. This model will make its world debut at the 2013 Tokyo Auto Show. The Executive model targets the BMW 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz S-Class, as well as the long-wheelbase version of the Audi A8.

* The Audi RS7 that I drove was very well equipped with a sticker of $122,000. I thought it was high, but compared to the Panamera Turbo S, it's a bargain.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I agree, I think the Panamera is a great car. You don't have to buy a Turbo S to be convinced it is a very well made sedan, though.

I think the big problem with the Panamera is, it is perceived by many as being awkward and unattractive. I think that is hurting sales big time. The Panamera is a very well made auto. But frankly , it is not as comfortable as an Audi A8,Mercedes S550, or the BMW 750 or 740. That to me is a big problem.

I don't think it's great track prowess is going to get this thing sold or reach Porsche expectation in the long run. That strategy never seems to work-- eg the Cayman.(its selling well now , but it hasn't been for the last 6 years).

I would buy a 4S.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:59 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

In trying to stay on point to the original question:

1. No car does everything well. Something with so many moving parts, well, there are always compromises.

2. If you are looking for a car to track and drive on mountain roads, the Panamera may not be the best choice. As others have said, perhaps M-Power is a better performing option if you need more practical cargo and passenger space. At any rate, even if you are made of money (and those who are tend to be the more parsimonious) a BMW would cost tens of thousands less for probably better performance and styling (v. Panamera) - unless the status of a Porsche is something you want.

3. If you are able go and test drive the Panamera, then read these comments so you'll have context.

4. I have no doubt that everyone who was given a Panamera as a loaner is being totally honest about how they feel about the car. Two things though. Loaners tend to be the most stripped down, cheapest version of a model. I suspect all the glowing reviews of the Panamera are a product of testing one with all the expensive performance options. The second thing is that you have 911 enthusiasts hating this car (stripped down status notwithstanding). That should tell you less about the Panamera and more about the fact that it is not going to handle, perform, etc. like a 911 - if that is what you are looking for.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:14 AM
9114Scab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
In trying to stay on point to the original question:

1. No car does everything well. Something with so many moving parts, well, there are always compromises.

2. If you are looking for a car to track and drive on mountain roads, the Panamera may not be the best choice. As others have said, perhaps M-Power is a better performing option if you need more practical cargo and passenger space. At any rate, even if you are made of money (and those who are tend to be the more parsimonious) a BMW would cost tens of thousands less for probably better performance and styling (v. Panamera) - unless the status of a Porsche is something you want.

3. If you are able go and test drive the Panamera, then read these comments so you'll have context.

4. I have no doubt that everyone who was given a Panamera as a loaner is being totally honest about how they feel about the car. Two things though. Loaners tend to be the most stripped down, cheapest version of a model. I suspect all the glowing reviews of the Panamera are a product of testing one with all the expensive performance options. The second thing is that you have 911 enthusiasts hating this car (stripped down status notwithstanding). That should tell you less about the Panamera and more about the fact that it is not going to handle, perform, etc. like a 911 - if that is what you are looking for.
Hmmm, I have never seen a loaner from Porsche "stripped down". At least not here is the states. My dealership gave me a Panamera 4S Hybrid for the week.Those Cayennes they give out as loaners are stickered at 68,000. I don't see it that way.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Pearly
If I had a panamera I would take it to mountain roads and the track just like a 911. There is something novel about a car that can truly do everything.
Sorry, not sure of joking.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 9114Scab
Hmmm, I have never seen a loaner from Porsche "stripped down". At least not here is the states. My dealership gave me a Panamera 4S Hybrid for the week.Those Cayennes they give out as loaners are stickered at 68,000. I don't see it that way.
That's a good point and it reminds me that I need to remark in specifics related to only my experience or expertise. Thanks

So . . . There are a couple of dealers in the Bay Area that I have frequented that used to give lower end loaners (first base Caymans and then base Cayennes). (I recall a tech at a particular dealership telling me that the cars, after their loaner life was up, were hard to move or lost money because they just did not have the features people wanted because they were acquired on the low end. Funny the stuff staff will tell you that they shouldn't when you are waiting for you car to be serviced and, after buying them lunch, sit around and eat.). Anyway, they stopped giving loaners and went to giving you a rental, and then they went to giving you a ride to and from the BART (mass transit). PCNA doesn't give the dealers the cars for free (although I'm sure they are well discounted), so I guess it all depends on whether or not individual dealers want to use this as a marketing opportunity.

Still, wrong as I may be about loaners being low end, it doesn't take away from the point that to a 911 enthusiast, a Panamera might be less than fulfilling.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:00 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
That's a good point and it reminds me that I need to remark in specifics related to only my experience or expertise. Thanks

So . . . There are a couple of dealers in the Bay Area that I have frequented that used to give lower end loaners (first base Caymans and then base Cayennes). (I recall a tech at a particular dealership telling me that the cars, after their loaner life was up, were hard to move or lost money because they just did not have the features people wanted because they were acquired on the low end. Funny the stuff staff will tell you that they shouldn't when you are waiting for you car to be serviced and, after buying them lunch, sit around and eat.). Anyway, they stopped giving loaners and went to giving you a rental, and then they went to giving you a ride to and from the BART (mass transit). PCNA doesn't give the dealers the cars for free (although I'm sure they are well discounted), so I guess it all depends on whether or not individual dealers want to use this as a marketing opportunity.

Still, wrong as I may be about loaners being low end, it doesn't take away from the point that to a 911 enthusiast, a Panamera might be less than fulfilling.
That is true.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
But neither is a current generation M3.
+1 to that too!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL, my books do fine, and own a couple companies as well, I donate all the proceeds from my books to charity. Since a movie treatment has been done for my first novel I might just keep that money for myself. I do not own a TurboS though have spent some time driving one. Like I said my car is the one in the AWE exhaust video a 2010 4S. I have owned 2, S classes (getting the new coupe soon) 4, 7 series and never liked Audi's owned a few never more than a couple months. What I find funny is how definitions of sports seem to fit what we drive. The Panamera is no sports car and for an old motor head like me a sports car is RWD (only) has a clutch pedal, no traction controls, lightweight, and has amazing handling and driver feedback. I had to build my own to get that. The only AWD drive sports cars I owned were my 04 Gallardo (the first modified to RWD) and my Porsche turbos (all modified to RWD). I hate to say it but to me the new Miata might be more of a sports car than the 991 with all of it creature comforts and electronic gizmos it is turning into somewhat of a GT car. I will probably always own a Porsche but if I were looking for a new car to excite me I'd be (and I am) looking at the C7 Z06. I had a modified C6 version I can only imagine what that thing is going to be like. Yeah I am a Corvette guy too
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 PM
951Pearly
Intermediate

Thank you all for your inputs! A Panamera would probably not be a good track car particularly due to its weight. I actually like the way it looks in some angles but there is no denying its behemoth size.

But if we are considering size weight and agility the Cayman S beats our cars hands down. I took the 997 to the track this weekend at Buttonwillow and Caymans were just zipping around like race cars! It was my first track day with the car at Buttonwillow and I had some brake issues so not my best day but those Caymans are hard to keep up with.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You know what car drives amazing are those Jaguar sedans. 2008 XJ8 can be picked up for around 20k and they are sooo nice. I prefer these to all the Audi's/BMW's and Mercedes I see everyday.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:29 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I get sad every time I see a Panamera. Porsche is watering down their brand.

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs Panamera 4S