Sponsored by:

right car / right price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:35 PM
hjles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default right car / right price?

I am absolutely frozen, unable to make a decision. What is the right car at the right price for me?

I drove a car at my local Porsche dealer last week, a 2009 C2S Cab, and I loved it. There are asking $67k, it is CPO'd, has 32k miles, PDK, Sports Chrono. Nice colors, don't love the wheels.

There is a non-local used 2009 C4S Cab for sale, asking $57k, not CPO'd, has 61k miles, PDK, Sports Chrono. Fully optioned. Nice colors and wheels.

There is a non-local 2012 (but it's a 991) C2S Cab for sale, asking 84k, CPO'd, has 32k miles, Sports Chrono and PDK. Love the color, iffy on the wheels.

I tried to buy one last week from Porsche Austin, they had a 2011 C4S Cab for sale, asking 75k, I offered 72.5k, they said no, now it's gone.

All of these cars are 'affordable' to me, in that I can swing the monthly payment, no problem. Just don't know what to do.

HELP! I can't believe I am struggling with this decision, normally I don't have a problem making up my mind. I am a "sometimes wrong but never in doubt" kind of guy, but this has me stumped.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Wheels are easy to change. There are some upgrades to the PDK gearbox in the 991. Personally I don't care for the electronic steering system in the 991. If it were me I'd go for the 2009 C2S but I think $67K is on the high side for that car.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

My gut tells me to skip on car #1 and #2. Nothing about them strikes me as a great deal.

#3 the 991 sounds interesting, that's a fairly good price to get into one so early. You love the color - which is extremely important - don't try to convince yourself on a paint job you're not crazy about - you'll likely be looking for a reason to trade it in 3 years. If the wheels don't grow on you they can be swapped easy, no big deal.

Don't fret about losing the one in Austin, your 72.5k offer was very fair - in fact you can get into a GTS for low 80's which is a very interesting and special 911 to own, so I think it's in your favor they denied you on that.

You WILL lose a great car at times, it happens, I lost one after about 4 months of searching, and had to wait an additional 7 months before another like it showed up on the market. Be patient. A few months of waiting is worth it - you don't want to rush a car - then have some regrets for the next 5 years.

What's your budget? What are you looking for? What options are must haves for you?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:02 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

First, and most importantly, don't forget to enjoy the process of finding the right car at the right price. The hunt is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the overall journey of Porsche ownership. Remember, whatever the end result is, you will be driving a Porsche that you own. Not a bad outcome.

#1 - $67k is high for that car, I'd expect somewhere near 60 depending on options. Don't worry too much about the wheels. You can either purchase a second set and sell the wheels currently on the car to help offset the cost or you can have the dealer source you wheels you want off another car or have them order you a new set and credit you for the wheels on the car. Either way, I wouldn't let wheels stop me from purchasing the car I love. From personal experience, I love my 09 S cab.

#2 - Again, I say this car with that mileage is probably a 52-55k car but it's not an exact science. Hard to tell which car is better optioned between 1 and 2 but assuming same w/4S being the big difference, I wouldn't let a non-local car scare me off. I would, however, use the 4S to try and drive down the price of the local C2S, if you love #1.

#3 - I like the 991 but don't love the 991. It's really your call on how much you appreciate the exterior updates to the 991 and the interior improvements. Personally, I love the 997.2 interior but man, the 991 interior electronics are really impressive. While 84k is probably about right for that car, I just don't have the stomach to spend that on a 991 cab.

If you want my honest opinion?

- Get a 997.2 cab GTS. They are out there, look hard. There is one for sale on Rennlist, I believe. It's worth it. Trust me. It's the car I regretted not purchasing. Best DD 997 Porsche makes that doesn't have a turbo or primary designs for track (GT3). GET A GTS.

- If you want one of the cars you have listed, get a PPI. I don't care if it's been CPOd at a dealer, find an independent mechanic and get it inspected. Once you have the knowledge, make the offer.

Best of luck HJ, hope this helps.

Take care,

KS
Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM
hjles
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the guidance from experienced members of this forum.

I kind of figured the prices on #1 and #2 were a little high, I've been internet comparison shopping for a while now. Then again, Porsche prices seem to be all over the place...I've also been surprised by how firm most dealers have been on price.

Must haves? I need a convertible with PDK, really want sports chrono, too. To be honest I really love the look of the 991, more so than the 997.

My budget is 'elastic', like I said I can afford any of the cars listed...just can't afford the new Targa 4S that I really want...maybe in a couple years when the used prices trend down.

This will not be a daily driver, I'll probably drive it about half the time in the spring, summer, and fall.

I've got a little more thinking to do.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 PM
hjles
Instructor

Forgot to ask, for those who responded accordingly, why should I get a GTS?
Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

The GTS is essentially all the best options in a 997 in one package, minus the PCCBs in most cases. However, if you REALLY love the 991 over the 997, I would imagine you can negotiate that price down quite a bit.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by hjles
Forgot to ask, for those who responded accordingly, why should I get a GTS?
Extra 23hp (408hp in the GTS vs 385 in the C2S/C4S), Wide body like the C4S but rear wheel drive only (unless it is a C4 GTS), interior alcantara upgrades and other various tidbits. Best of the non gt3/turbo 997 series IMO.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:36 PM
hjles
Instructor

Just made an offer on the 991, and someone beat me to it. Crap.

How about this GTS:

http://porschedallas.parkplace.com/a...che-911-pp4264
Old 09-18-2014, 05:49 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Originally Posted by hjles
Best car choice you've posted yet IMO.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Cbst09
Racer

I agree, go with the GTS. If you were willing to pay 72.5 k for the 2011 C4S then a couple thousand more for a 2011 GTS seems like a no brainer. The only think I wouldn't like is the center lock wheels but would probably buy it despite that if I were in your shoes.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:36 AM
CrossThread
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
Best car choice you've posted yet IMO.
+1 on this one, decent price if the color and options are what you are looking for.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just make sure you are ready to deal with the center lock wheels. Most of the "track rats" on the GT3 Forum HATE them!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:10 AM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

That is a truly stunning GTS.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:04 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice optioned car! A rare fine w the black painted interior
& carpet! Hope you get it and
report back with your driving impressions! I personally like that steering wheel the best too & most GTSs come w paddles!

Quick Reply: right car / right price?