Sponsored by:

Pain in the "frunk"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pain in the "frunk"

Question for the group please. My '09 base, Pdk just started exhibiting an issue with the frunk switch. I can open it with the remote (key) but not with the switch inside the car. I've had the car for around 9 months and maybe opened the frunk 6 times, most of which were from the inside switch if I recall correctly. Now, nothing! Shouldn't be a fuse or it wouldn't pop at all right? Dealer says it could be a bad switch or bad wiring going to the switch ($$$?). Advised me NOT to try to remove it myself. I guess it would activate the "self destruct" sequence. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:42 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GoodTurn
Question for the group please. My '09 base, Pdk just started exhibiting an issue with the frunk switch. I can open it with the remote (key) but not with the switch inside the car. I've had the car for around 9 months and maybe opened the frunk 6 times, most of which were from the inside switch if I recall correctly. Now, nothing! Shouldn't be a fuse or it wouldn't pop at all right? Dealer says it could be a bad switch or bad wiring going to the switch ($$$?). Advised me NOT to try to remove it myself. I guess it would activate the "self destruct" sequence. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a bad switch - do you hear anything when you activate? It's a very easy change if it's a bad switch - you can buy one here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//SILLSWITCH.html
Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Rob_G
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem and then broke the switch thinking (stupidly) that I didn't pull it hard enough. I did get it from Suncoast.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

My frunk switch stopped working about a year ago. Pain in the az. Dropping the kids off at school had to shut the car off, and use the key fob to pop the frunk. Annoyed me enough to get off my butt and replace the switch assembly, as above.
Get it done.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:24 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the input. Hard to believe that something so critical isn't more robust in it's design. I'll check on my Fidelity warranty and see what it covers/deductible. If it's not worth it, I'll just replace it myself. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Order your part. Wait for a while and procrastinate. Change it out or get someone to change it out.
When changing the assembly make sure you don't cross the blue wire. It will automatically notify Porsche of America.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Remove the 2 screws that hold the inner door sill trim piece in which which frunk / engine lid combo switch resides (they're under two plastic caps). Once you have that piece loose it's easy to see how the switch comes out. From there you can troubleshoot the wiring at the switch and the switch itself.

Aside from making the highest quality CF parts, MA Carbon also has some of the best installation videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl_4wqmQQo#t=60
Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Remove the 2 screws that hold the inner door sill trim piece in which which frunk / engine lid combo switch resides (they're under two plastic caps). Once you have that piece loose it's easy to see how the switch comes out. From there you can troubleshoot the wiring at the switch and the switch itself.

Aside from making the highest quality CF parts, MA Carbon also has some of the best installation videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXl_4wqmQQo#t=60
You'll need a short allen head (hex) wrench (I think it's 5mm)...and don't remove the two screws, just loosen. The hardest part is getting the wrench into the hole and into the head of the screw - be patient. Other than that it's a very easy task.

Quick Reply: Pain in the "frunk"