Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Just wondering how the DSC unit interacts with the PSM (stability control) and the PDK shift points in each of the 3 modes? My car doesn't have a "PASM" button, it only has a "Sport" and "Sport Plus" button (997.2S PDK)
Sport and Sport Plus bottom will,light up the shock button. The Shock button is your normal or stiff mode for the shocks. If you do not have the button with the picture of the shock on it you don't have PASM in your car and this DSC PASM modification is not for your car.
Hope this helps....
Old 10-26-2014, 03:49 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Sport and Sport Plus bottom will,light up the shock button. The Shock button is your normal or stiff mode for the shocks. If you do not have the button with the picture of the shock on it you don't have PASM in your car and this DSC PASM modification is not for your car.
Hope this helps....
Oh, the shock button. got it, thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
In your particular case, the Bilstein 260 in-lb short front springs with fully compressed tender springs can get pretty choppy. We convert a lot of our local customer with a longer spring and increase the spring rate to 350 in-lb and delete the tender springs. This actually make the car ride nicer in all condition and have even more front end support. This is achieved using longer length of spring wire. Its worth considering as a future mod.
Tom, how long of a spring do you use if you delete the tender? What brand of spring do you use? I know the Bilstien Damptronic uses a unique ID. Do you leave the rear alone?
Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Just wondering how the DSC unit interacts with the PSM (stability control) and the PDK shift points in each of the 3 modes? My car doesn't have a "PASM" button, it only has a "Sport" and "Sport Plus" button (997.2S PDK)
DSC, PSM, and PDK/Engine Sport modes are all separate systems. PSM and PDK/Engine Sport modes will function as intended from the factory. However, PSM will have less intervention as a result of improved traction from DSC.

The most popular version of the DSC is what we call "Plug & Play", which is a direct plug in for cars that are factory equipped with PASM. We do have another DSC version call "Stand-alone", which is intended for cars without PASM. The installation of the Stand-alone is much more involved. I will go over the details in another post.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kinesis 996
How much is this? I can't find it on the TPC site.

Will it work well with PASM + lowered H&R springs?
DSC will have its own website soon. All the units sold have been by word of mouth and forum chats. We have sold out the pre-launch production run. Should have more units available in 90 days. I don't think I can post price here so I'll send you a PM.

DSC will make your car less bouncy over bumps which means less toe deviation, which results in improved stability. And will reduce or eliminate riding of the bump rubber with the shock stroke being reduced by using lowering springs with relatively soft rate.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hope this helps....
Thanks for chiming in Mike. You are 100% correct regarding the Sport and Sport Plus bottom on PASM equipped cars.

We have a less known version of the DSC called "Stand-alone". Unlike the more prevalent "Plug & Play" version for cars that are factory equipped with PASM, the Stand-alone version is for cars without PASM. This installation requires a wiring harness with leads that run to each corner of the car and will of course require a set of PASM-type shocks for the leads to plug into. The wiring harness will also have connection to the car's CAN(Control Area Network) for the required data to make the Stand-alone DSC fully active like the Plug & Play version. Here's a photo of the different versions(top box is the Stand-alone version that has a different connector). The Stand-alone version can also be fitted to race cars during test days to minimize time to determine best setup for a particular race track/event, that is if the race series allow the use of this system.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2014, 04:02 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
Tom, how long of a spring do you use if you delete the tender? What brand of spring do you use? I know the Bilstien Damptronic uses a unique ID. Do you leave the rear alone?
I see that you have a C4S. The Damptronic colivers for the C4/4S/Turbo are different than the C2 variants. On the C4 cars they use 70mm ID springs instead of 60mm ID. The idea is more length of spring wire for better ride.

To answer your questions-

1) To convert to single linear-rate spring on C4's I normally use 7" or 8" tall springs depending on the targeted ride height for particular customer and the stiffness of the spring to meet the particular customer need. (i.e. for softer rate I would go longer since there's more sag from the weight of the car).

2) I normally use Eibach because their advertised rates have been very consistent and they are readily available at 50 in-lb increment. I actually machine the metric size perches down to the next imperial(inch) size and I ditch the angled Bilstein upper hats for a motorsport type camber plate. There are bolt-on springs that doesn't require this extra work but I like the do things the hard way.

3) Yes I usually leave the rear springs alone, they are in the 600 in-lb range.
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2023, 01:27 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread, does anyone know if DSC Sport ever goes on sale or special buys?
Veterans discounts (like Cobb) or year end sales?
2011 911 GTS w/ PASM.
thanks
Old 11-08-2023, 07:36 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

Is this component different from this https://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#997 or are they two similar products from different suppliers? No disrespect intended just confused about the technical stuff.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:19 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,189 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Guy
Resurrecting an old thread, does anyone know if DSC Sport ever goes on sale or special buys?
Veterans discounts (like Cobb) or year end sales?
2011 911 GTS w/ PASM.
thanks
I bought mine over 4 years ago (used) from a now friend who I met when he sold me his 997 GTS.
Paid him $1000, he tried to give it to me...since I bought his car when he moved to a 997.3 GT3 and he thought the DSC was model specific.
Nope, it's the same box for all .2 models, including the GT cars.

A different friend with a 991.1 GTS bought one on my rec and felt no change in suspension- performance or compliamce.
The install on 991 is more involved (compared to zero effort on a 997) due to the location under the rear window interior panel vice passenger footwell. Perhaps he never got it fully plugged in? He's 83.
I sold it in one hour at full retail, with USPS Flat Rate Med box shipping added, after listing it on RL Marketplace. TPC was zero balance at the time.

TPC often runs short/out of different versions, but ramps up production and don't need to discount to move them.
So, good luck finding a discounted deal.
It's software, used is as good as brand new- so keep an eye on RL Marketplace- place a WTB ad and bump it to stay high on search results.
Won't be cheap, but maybe find one for a hundred off.
Maybe.

Best $1000 I have spent on my GTS, by far.
Game changing performance/compliance, totally reversible, 5-minute install or removal, holds value or increases, never wears out...
Damn, I should work for Tom.

How is your GTS equipped?

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 11-09-2023 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:33 PM
Foosh
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 172 Posts

I had a DSC Sport V3 suspension controller installed on my 991.1 Turbo S cab yesterday. Tom at TPC Racing did the install at DSC in about 45 minutes, even though it's a little more complicated on the cabriolet given the convertible top components.

The upgrade is significant. Both Normal and Sport modes are more compliant than OEM, with Normal mode, of course, being the most compliant. With more aggressive speeds and cornering, Sport mode stiffens the car up, but it's still more comfortable than the OEM settings. It's hard to quantify unless comparing track times, but overall the car feels more "hooked up" in both modes.

The beauty of this tech is you have both a better daily driver, and a better track set-up.

P.S. They don't do discounts because they don't need to, but the $1400 installed price is well worth the cost.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-09-2023 at 01:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (11-09-2023)

Quick Reply: TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC)