Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC) (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/834269-tpc-racing-dynamic-suspension-control-dsc.html)

Canyonrs4 09-15-2014 09:50 PM

TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC)

Quick review of TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control or DSC for PASM equipped cars. For those of you who do not know TPC Racing has taken their years of suspension setup knowledge and put it into a software upgrade/control module box to replace the factory PASM box. Tom at TPC set me up, really nice guy and a wealth of knowledge.

This software/hardware is for the 997.1 and 997.2 cars with PASM. The .1 cars also need a 3 axis accelerometer wired in as the system relies on the accelerometer to dynamically adjust the dampening on each corner of the car. The 997.1 cars only have a 2 axis module from the factory (except the turbo and GT2). The .2 cars have a 3 axis system as part of the stock electronics.

This is really cool tech using stock PASM shocks and taking them to the level they are capable of through the DSC module. Couple the technology with TPC’s years of suspension tuning knowledge and you have a great package to take your car to the next level of handling without turning a single wrench.

This module replaces the stock module which is located in the passenger foot well, upper right side behind the carpet, a 5 minute install. The system then operates off of the PASM button that just has an on and off setting. The new module has three modes: This is not a static system as it adjusts each shock based on the loads the accelerometer and other metrics fed to the DSC box, TPC will have to chime in on the actual technology and specifics. It is also important to note that this system can be re-flashed with updated software from time to time.
DSC modes (from Tom at TPC):

Mode 1 = PASM button LED light lit solid. Softest peak stiffness of the three modes. Best for street, very bump tracks, wet track.

Mode 2 = PASM button LED light blinks twice. Peak stiffness stiffer than Mode 1 only in the higher load range. Best for medium to smooth tracks.

Mode 3 = PASM button LED light blinks 3x. Same as Mode 2 except the rear shocks will be stiffer during corner entry to transfer weight to the front. Good for reducing corner entry understeer if your car behaves as such.
My experience so far was last Sunday at a morning open lapping day at High Plains Raceway outside of Denver. This is a very technical track, off camber, blind and tightening radius corners, fast sweepers and slow hairpins. A good place to test.

My car did fairly well stock but did not feel stable especially during the heavy braking from 130 mph on the back straight into a 85 mph right hander, and through some flat out esses leading to the front straight, the car felt unsettled before, not any longer.

The DSC transforms the car, it is now much more stable under all conditions but especially noticeable during the heavy braking and during fast transitions (side to side). Overall the car is just more balanced, it is a great improvement. My lap times improved and became more consistent.

I drove primarily in mode 3 as this is a new track very smooth and fast, my car did push significantly before and does so far less now, interesting to note that mode 3 will help with understeer, I was unaware of the mode 3 programming at the time and it does make a difference.

I am very pleased, I need more time playing with the settings and getting some time on it, this weekend I have a DE with Porsche club I will have some more time to test it out. I will report back.

steve0827 09-16-2014 06:43 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for this? Do you just plug some sort of flash loader into the OBD2 port? This sounds very interesting.

poparelly 09-16-2014 08:48 AM

Yeah, interesting. I have a TPC turbo on my wish list, this would go nicely with it.

Tom@TPC Racing 09-16-2014 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by steve0827 (Post 11652565)
Do you just plug some sort of flash loader into the OBD2 port?

Sorry for posting out of turn.
The DSC box(control module) directly replaces the factory PASM box located on the passenger side. The DSC box greatly increases the function range on any PASM shock. Will work on any car that has PASM, including .1 and .2 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, GT3, RS.

MarcoRemius 09-16-2014 10:25 AM

This is one of the mods I've been considering. Great to hear how well it works.

steve0827 09-16-2014 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing (Post 11652794)
Sorry for posting out of turn.
The DSC box(control module) directly replaces the factory PASM box located on the passenger side. The DSC box greatly increases the function range on any PASM shock. Will work on any car that has PASM, including .1 and .2 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, Turbo, Turbo S, GT2, GT3, RS.

So this basically means all you have to do when going in for service is swap the modules?

EDIT: In regards to warranty issues....I have an awesome dealer, but just in case PCNA decides to throw some BS my way.

Tom@TPC Racing 09-16-2014 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by steve0827 (Post 11652933)
So this basically means all you have to do when going in for service is swap the modules?

If you wish to go back to stock it is a simple 3 minute swap of the boxes.

gasongasoff 09-16-2014 11:38 AM

Is mode 3 stiffer than stock PASM when the sport-mode is enabled?
How do I order one of these? I couldn't find it on the TPC-racing website (but I might have missed it).

AWay 09-16-2014 11:48 AM

Several interested it seems, myself included. Group buy possibilities? Having to add the accelerometer does up the costs for .1 folks.

Canyonrs4 09-16-2014 11:57 AM

Just give them a call and ask for Tom, it is not on the website.

Tom@TPC Racing 09-16-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by gasongasoff (Post 11652982)
Is mode 3 stiffer than stock PASM when the sport-mode is enabled?
How do I order one of these? I couldn't find it on the TPC-racing website (but I might have missed it).

All three modes are active based on the load. Load is a function of the input data. The input data include vehicle speed, g-force, steering angle, brake pressure, throttle %. In the minimum input ranges(such as cruising on a highway at a steady speed) the ride over bumps is smoother than stock. At higher input range the suspension is stiffen well beyond stock stiffness to reduce dive and body roll to make the car more stable on street and track. The general difference between the three modes is the peak stiffness and conditions of when the stiffness occurs.

You are correct. DSC is not on TPC Racing's website. DSC will have its own website. DSC has not been commercially advertised The units sold were by word of mouth and internet forum postings.

TPC Racing sells them. Tel: 410-799-7223 Email: info@tpcracing.com

Tom@TPC Racing 09-16-2014 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by AWay (Post 11653004)
Group buy possibilities? Having to add the accelerometer does up the costs for .1 folks.

There's already a group buy price established on 6speedonline forum-
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ension-13.html

The discounted price has been extended to Rennlist members.

Canyonrs4 09-22-2014 10:26 PM

Update: (also posted on the 997 GT3 forum) Spent two days on the track at High Plains outside of Denver, one day swapping from the stock box to the DSC, the second day just with DSC installed.

Driving to the track there is a section of highway with the grooved right side half round divots in the road to warn you of running off the road, I tested the three settings while running on these and the tone in the cabin changes with each setting so you can hear the dynamic change in the damper...

On the track the change is remarkable, the car dives less in heavy braking, is far more stable in quick side to side turns and has far less roll, really noticeable in long sweeping turns. At the end of the back straight there is a depression right at the heavy braking zone, everyone brakes early to avoid ICE mode while braking, this symptom went away with DSC the car just "sucked it up" like it was not there.

I had two personal best times on this track with DSC this weekend by over 2 seconds, it is a 2:00 track at 2.55 miles 15 turn track... The times were consistent with DSC and no DSC on Saturday, needless to say the improvement was verified by the times. But the real take-away for me is the improvement in the feel of the car, it is just more planted, you feel more connected with the road (track).

Cool tech, this is the future of suspension in my opinion, dynamic real time adjustments to each corner.

flyingpenguin 09-24-2014 10:11 PM

Interesting video on Billstein Damptronic technology:

Tom@TPC Racing 09-24-2014 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by flyingpenguin (Post 11673949)
Interesting video on Billstein Damptronic technology: Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoABlUT0RwQ

Nice find! Great video. That's exactly what DSC does. Down to the 3-axis accelerometer(longitude, lateral, and vertical dynamics). All Bilstein made OEM PASM shocks and their aftermarket version Damptronic labeled shocks work exactly the same. Our cars just don't have the control module from the factory to drive these shocks to their full potential. That's where DSC comes in.