Sponsored by:

"Pop" Sound on shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:39 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde07
FWIW, the manual on my 997 says that, for cars equipped with Sport Chrono and PSE, the sport button activates the PSE. If the car is not equipped with Sport Chrono, there is a specific button just for PSE.
I beleive that's true for 997.1 cars. From 2009 onward, a separate PSE button is provided even if you have Sports Chrono.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcheves
I beleive that's true for 997.1 cars. From 2009 onward, a separate PSE button is provided even if you have Sports Chrono.
Makes sense. I definitely have PSE but no PSE button after further research. My car is 997.1
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ElVerde07
Makes sense. I definitely have PSE but no PSE button after further research. My car is 997.1
Sure you don't have a button on the same row as the spoiler button, etc. that shows what looks like two exhaust tips? That's the PSE button.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:48 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Sure you don't have a button on the same row as the spoiler button, etc. that shows what looks like two exhaust tips? That's the PSE button.
Yup, positive. I'd post up a photo if I was "with car" today at work. I've seen the photo online (looks like a shotgun or binoculars actually) and I definitely don't have the button. But I definitely have the PSE.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Could have been the previous owner installed gundo/fisters on the car. Similar to PSE but it's on all the time.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Little Green
Could have been the previous owner installed gundo/fisters on the car. Similar to PSE but it's on all the time.
Definitely has the PSE... The exhaust is markedly louder when sport us engaged. Also the tailpipes match what PSE looks like.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Any chance you could record a video of the event with your phone and upload it to youtube? It might be helpful in figuring out what is going on.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
Any chance you could record a video of the event with your phone and upload it to youtube? It might be helpful in figuring out what is going on.
Yeah, that's the next logical step isn't it? I'll be detailing it tonight so that will give me an opportunity to do so.

With my luck, it will probably refuse to make the sound tonight
Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
The theory on the table is that the PSE valves are clunking on shutdown. This would not be the case for a Gundo'd exhast.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

It's the PSE.

The reason it happened when you were playing wih the stereo in the car wihout the engine running is that the signal to the vacuum actuator switch in the engine compartment that sucks the valves closed via the vacuum lines probably energizes with the key in the accessory position, even without starting the engine. After shutdown, eventually the system loses enough vacuum where the springs in the exhaust valves pull them back open again. I have a Fabspeed Valvetronic Muffler and when mine release they sound more like a squeeky door and don't bang, but if the springs in the OEM PSE are stronger, I could see how it could make a bang sound. Here's a photo of my fabspeed setup where you can see the valves (they have the braided stainless vacuum lines running to them) - the factory PSE ones should look similar and be in a similar location.
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2014, 02:29 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
It's the PSE.

The reason it happened when you were playing wih the stereo in the car wihout the engine running is that the signal to the vacuum actuator switch in the engine compartment that sucks the valves closed via the vacuum lines probably energizes with the key in the accessory position, even without starting the engine. After shutdown, eventually the system loses enough vacuum where the springs in the exhaust valves pull them back open again. I have a Fabspeed Valvetronic Muffler and when mine release they sound more like a squeeky door and don't bang, but if the springs in the OEM PSE are stronger, I could see how it could make a bang sound. Here's a photo of my fabspeed setup where you can see the valves (they have the braided stainless vacuum lines running to them) - the factory PSE ones should look similar and be in a similar location.
Wow that is an extremely helpful answer. After playing with it last night I was almost positive it was the stereo and some sort of electrical gremlin. It's certainly loud enough to sort of make you jump when the noise hits unexpectedly. It happens every time the key is removed.

Any thoughts on whether this is an issue that needs to be addressed by the dealership? Or if this is a "just live with it" situation?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You can double-check to see if we're right. Just go back to the exhaust after removing the key and locate those valves. You should be able to see an arm on them move when the vacuum releases and that's when you'll hear the pop.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:23 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
You can double-check to see if we're right. Just go back to the exhaust after removing the key and locate those valves. You should be able to see an arm on them move when the vacuum releases and that's when you'll hear the pop.
We're talking about physically looking into the exhaust pipes with a flashlight here? I can do that.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, we're not looking in the exhaust pipe. You need to find the little rod (see red box) that is part of the valve assembly on the muffler. There's one on each side for each PSE muffler. The valve assembly should have a rubber vacuum line going to it. That rod will move one way when vacuum is established and the opposite way when vacuum is released and when it's released the spring inside is what moves it back and what I think is causing the noise you hear as the valve hits it's stop inside the assembly.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2014, 05:42 PM
ElVerde07
Advanced

I'm hoping I can do that without removing the bumper...I'll check it out.

I am ALMOST completely positive the noise is the stereo though. It is much louder inside the car than outside the car.

Quick Reply: "Pop" Sound on shutdown?