Qtr or Full Fender Clearbra

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Qtr or Full Fender Clearbra

I'm looking to clearbra (SunTek, probably) the front of my new-to-me black GTS. On my just departed Speed Yellow GT3, I only had the fender fronts done, and the seam was hardly noticeable on the light colored car. I'm thinking it would be more noticeable on this black car. Reason I ask, plus $700 to do full fenders.

Advice? Anyone have pics of a dark car with partial fenders?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 PM
txfight00
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did full fenders on my new to me black 11 gts. My buddy did 1/4 on his dark grey 13 c4 and I notice his. Prob less noticeable on a black car, but for me once I noticed it it'd be impossible to NOT see it.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:03 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

When we were looking for our "new" Porsche one of the items we noticed was the occasional use of clear bra materials. Some full across the front to include fenders and some partial. From an aesthetic stand point, the full looks the best. The partial installs were very noticeable on all colors of cars. Some color shift, some gloss change but the line makes it very noticeable. From a functional standpoint, I don't recall seeing any damage beyond the clear bra application on the partials. I did consider the possibility of paint fade on the partial (protected vs unprotected area). I could not find any literature or forum posts but the risk was minimized because of going full for aesthetic reasons. I do wish I had explored the idea at the time of having the windshield coated but no biggee. I did later on cover the headlights and daytime running lights with the same material. My car is white and after two years the only thing yellowing on the car are the two rear rock guards which will be replaced next week with black ones. I use xPel but there are several brands out there.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for full. I'm at the point with these films that I don't actually believe this non-yellowing stuff anymore. I've tried so many brands and they all eventually yellow. If the full front end is done it will at least be barely noticeable when it does yellow.

I have a car in the garage right now that's 3 years old and has just under 5k miles. The car has basically never been dirty in it's life time. Always waxed. Always garaged. Pretty yellowed. The full front end is done and it's pretty hard to see where it's yellowed. However, the rocker panels and 1/3rd roof look absolutely awful and I'm probably going to have the entire thing removed. Porsche has 1/3rd hood and fenders done and it looks pretty bad despite also having seriously low miles and always being garaged by the previous owner. It's a white car though so it's expected. I've found a few products that help a little bit but at this point I'm starting to think it's the glue that yellows as opposed to oil and debris from the road in the pores. The XPEL cleaner did remove a little bit of the tint but I wouldn't call it a success.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So it's $700 for the full fender and for that sum you won't see the seam? Well, if you see the seam will it be a $700 bother - and that's something only you know. I have half hood and fender and no one notices the seam unless they look for it (but I have non-metallic turquoise blue paint so that maybe part of it). Personally, while the seams don't bother me, I can understand how they'd be annoying. My peeve was that I could not stand seeing the plasti-chrome headlight washer nipples on my last 911; drove me to distraction. So when I did PTS on my current car I did not even care what the price was for "headlight washers painted in exterior color" - and however much it cost it was worth it!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:40 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Go full...much cleaner and obviously more protection
Old 09-12-2014, 05:27 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Thx all. Had already ordered the full fender treatment, but was thinking of changing it. Won't, full fender it is.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:52 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Thx all. Had already ordered the full fender treatment, but was thinking of changing it. Won't, full fender it is.
Good decision - especially with black since the half-way line between bra and paint would be very visible.

Quick Reply: Qtr or Full Fender Clearbra