Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lone Star Le Mans (Who's with me!?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lone Star Le Mans (Who's with me!?)

Just got friday's qualifying race VIP tickets in the mail. First time to Austin and COA.

Any tips for Austin (6th ave) or COA activities?

Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to Austin! Here are some things to know about...

The local Porsche dealer is hosting an event for PCA members from 7-10pm Thursday night. The RSR and 919 will be on hand along with some of the drivers. I'd suggest calling Roger Beasley Porsche for more info.

The national PCA booked a special section in the stands with other bling as part of that ticket price (I already had good seats elsewhere so passed on this). But just in case you want to find other Porsche people here's where a lot of them will be https://www.pca.org/event/2014-08-19...ne-star-lemans.

6th street between Congress and I35, in my opinion, is for a more hardcore drinking crowd than I'm up for. 6th street nearer to Lamar is a little more mature, and 2nd thru 4th streets west of Congress Ave is an older crowd.

South Congress just below the river is also an alternative with lots of food choices and some bars. Lot's of other good choices too, like hardcore western at the Broken Spoke on Lamar.

Of course, BBQ at a variety of places is good (brisket and ribs especially). Rudy's is more casual and popular, other places abound, the Salt Lick is pretty famous but more distant, some like County Line but less so for me.

Many places downtown and around town have free music so you'll find it easy to have a wide choice of genres all over. Austin360.com is a good place to find out who is playing where.

Be sure to check out other spots around the huge track. I'm sitting in the curves in grandstand 15... one of my favorites... but it's also cool to check the view at turn 1, from the main grandstands, and from the area around the tall COTA tower and amphitheatre across the track behind the pits. Bring good walking shoes since the distances between areas is pretty far.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is the Texas Chili Parlour located? Thanks for PCA event info!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 PM
porterror
Racer

Amazing info! Thanks for the PCA info. Might go to the Thursday PCA event.

COA/Austin Questions:

- I have Turn 15 seats & VIP Grandstand Suite seats. Is it easy to commute between these locations during race?

- I have a parking pass, is it close to the grandstand? Also, how bad is traffic in/out of the event? Should I plan to stay a while after the race ends?

- Any events/happenings to check out while at the track besides the race?

- Is there a track walk / tour of the cars pre-race?

- Do you know of a good place to smoke some cigars @ or near 6th street?

Thanks again for the info! Just joined the PCA a couple months ago and community has been over the top helpful with everything.

Originally Posted by StormRune
Welcome to Austin! Here are some things to know about...

The local Porsche dealer is hosting an event for PCA members from 7-10pm Thursday night. The RSR and 919 will be on hand along with some of the drivers. I'd suggest calling Roger Beasley Porsche for more info.

The national PCA booked a special section in the stands with other bling as part of that ticket price (I already had good seats elsewhere so passed on this). But just in case you want to find other Porsche people here's where a lot of them will be https://www.pca.org/event/2014-08-19...ne-star-lemans.

6th street between Congress and I35, in my opinion, is for a more hardcore drinking crowd than I'm up for. 6th street nearer to Lamar is a little more mature, and 2nd thru 4th streets west of Congress Ave is an older crowd.

South Congress just below the river is also an alternative with lots of food choices and some bars. Lot's of other good choices too, like hardcore western at the Broken Spoke on Lamar.

Of course, BBQ at a variety of places is good (brisket and ribs especially). Rudy's is more casual and popular, other places abound, the Salt Lick is pretty famous but more distant, some like County Line but less so for me.

Many places downtown and around town have free music so you'll find it easy to have a wide choice of genres all over. Austin360.com is a good place to find out who is playing where.

Be sure to check out other spots around the huge track. I'm sitting in the curves in grandstand 15... one of my favorites... but it's also cool to check the view at turn 1, from the main grandstands, and from the area around the tall COTA tower and amphitheatre across the track behind the pits. Bring good walking shoes since the distances between areas is pretty far.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Trying to address some of these from both of you:
- http://www.txchiliparlor.com/ Maybe a half mile north of 6th (Lavaca and 15th) near the capitol building and not far from the UT campus. This also reminds me to point out Stubb's at 801 Red River (northeast edge of main downtown). Lot's of music. Sunday morning brunch is nice typically with some really good gospel chorus singing. Other music in the evenings. Advance tickets for most things recommended: http://stubbsaustin.com/
- I would estimate a 10 minute walk between 15 and the main grandstands. You have to walk around the outside of the last two turns before the straight and the pit entrance area to get back and forth.
- There are several parking lots. Parking lot A is closest to the grandstands and is the most nicely paved, it is the one I selected. The PCA "corral" is in parking lot T closer to turn 1 grandstands, I assume it must be paved as well. Most of the others are unpaved gravel. I would avoid the unpaved ones if you are coming in a P-car... pretty rocky gravel.
- During Formula One the traffic is horrible. The two other races I've attended were more bearable. They have music events after the races to try to keep everyone from leaving at once and they have made a lot of road widenings/improvements to help flow so it has been getting better. The track is near a toll road that is generally the best way in and out (and it has 80 MPH speed limit, 85 just a little further south). The track is on the southeast edge of town not far from the airport. Depending upon arrival/departure direction of your flights, you can see the track as you take off (more typically) or land (sometimes if landing to the north).
- The PCA club gathering I referenced before has some special events around the track. Reference the link provided in the earlier post for more info
- There are typically other things of interest at the track and music events at the amphitheater. The program you received will describe these, I don't think there are any off-the-books ones other than the PCA stuff.
- There appear to be several cigar places downtown, just search for "austin cigars". This one is in the heart of the downtown area: http://www.bobalu.com/ on 6th, this one not too far south on Congress Ave: http://www.habanahousecigarlounge.com/
Old 09-16-2014, 10:15 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I saw a reference to the events listing in the paper this morning. In case you are coming and hadn't found this, here is the list of events and activities expected at the Le Mans in Austin this week: http://circuitoftheamericas.com/wect...-entertainment
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 AM
porterror
Racer

Pumped for Blue Oyster Cult! ha. How's the weather doing down there? Quick storms rolling through or they forecasting constant rain all weekend?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porterror
Pumped for Blue Oyster Cult! ha. How's the weather doing down there? Quick storms rolling through or they forecasting constant rain all weekend?
Sorry to say that here in the midst of our multi-year drought we are looking at several days of showers starting yesterday. These look like they'll be the typical faster moving rains mostly in the late afternoon and early evenings. Predictions are for a 50% chance today, 80% tomorrow, 50% Friday, 40% Saturday and Sunday. Arghhh....

I'd certainly recommend a poncho or some other rain gear. Sorry we didn't arrange to keep you dry, but on the good side... we could really use some good drought-busting rains. Currently the reservoirs are only 34% of normal capacity.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something I'm curious about is how the garage/pit access is at this event?? When we were at the Rolex earlier this year, we went everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE behind the scenes! Literally every nook and cranny of Daytona. To me the access and experience in the garages and pits equaled, if not trumped, the racing action. Matter of fact the best days were Thurs and Fri! Really wanted to attend this COTA event, but schedule would not allow. Still like to know what kind of access can be had/bought? I have not desire to go sit at one turn and watch a road race. If I can't move around and enjoy different views and activities I'd be bored as hell. To me this kind of access is the big draw of this kind of racing...and probably why I've never sought out and F1 race. :-( Afraid of being just another body in a seat while the rich and famous are enjoying the pits and garages).
Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really want to go to this, (I'm in NorCal) but work is conspiring to hold me down...

I've checked IMSA's site for broadcast times, but may not be able to watch live online, and see the broadcast on Fox Sports 2, which I don't believe comcast carries?

(I learned this after watching nearly 16 hours straight of the 24 Hours of LeMans only to learn the final 2 hours were on Fox Sports 2. I never saw the ending. ENRAGING)

Does anyone know where (on television so I can set the DVR) this race can be seen in the Bay Area?

I hate the prospect of missing the opportunity to watch Mark Webber & crew pilot the 919 around COTA.

Any info or ideas much appreciated!

- Dan
Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM
porterror
Racer

Big question is....With all the rain, can the armadillo races still happen? And can I still rope a calf at the track?

Sorry to say that here in the midst of our multi-year drought we are looking at several days of showers starting yesterday. These look like they'll be the typical faster moving rains mostly in the late afternoon and early evenings. Predictions are for a 50% chance today, 80% tomorrow, 50% Friday, 40% Saturday and Sunday. Arghhh....

I'd certainly recommend a poncho or some other rain gear. Sorry we didn't arrange to keep you dry, but on the good side... we could really use some good drought-busting rains. Currently the reservoirs are only 34% of normal capacity.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wheeler
Something I'm curious about is how the garage/pit access is at this event?? ... -( Afraid of being just another body in a seat while the rich and famous are enjoying the pits and garages).
As you observe, unless you get in with a special crowd or have really deep pockets, access to the pits for Formula One is highly restricted. For the PCA two-day race event a few months ago, anyone with PCA membership had access to the back side of the pits and pit garages if the crews were good with it. I even got to do a paced three lap run of the full track although speeds where constrained and passing not allowed (I got to hit around a hundred or so a couple of times by creating a gap and running up into it through a couple of the curves). They requested donations for that.

For most events the pits are pretty throughly restricted unless you buy the expensive AC'ed seating above them. Of course they are on the inside of the track which is restricted in general. This event has a "private pit walk" for PCA members at some point (sounds like you are supervised) and you can sign up for a few controlled laps.

If you do come to a race, try to get one the reserved premium seats that have real seat backs and aren't packed so tightly together. For F1, these are too expensive for me (in the thousands) but for the other events they are normally in the low hundred dollar range. I prefer getting a seat high in grandstand 15 where you get a good line of sight through some winding curves where a lot of position jockeying occurs. I also recommend walking the outside of the track to different observation points at times just to get some variety, especially in a series like this weekend. There is only one cut across just next to grandstand 15 to the far side of the track, so such a walk can be a long one.

Not really answering your questions, but one last observation: If you can find a race that is running the shortened course (like MotoGP in 2013), you get about twice the watching action where ever you sit. The long course is 3.4 miles around and at the start of a race there is a lot of dead space waiting for cars to come back around.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Does anyone know where (on television so I can set the DVR) this race can be seen in the Bay Area?...
- Dan
The broadcast schedule is posted here: http://www.imsa.com/races/lone-star-le-mans

It appears to be a mix of streaming and Fox with only limited races. Fox Sports 2 has coverage of
- TUDOR Championship from 12:30PM Eastern until 3:30PM.
- FIA World Endurance Championship from 7PM Eastern Sat up until midnight.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
The R
Advanced

I'll be there friday and saturday. Will be in the PCA area/parking. I might be able to make it to the Thursday evening PCA event, not sure though. Depends on when I get into town.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As you observe, unless you get in with a special crowd or have really deep pockets, access to the pits for Formula One is highly restricted. For the PCA two-day race event a few months ago, anyone with PCA membership had access to the back side of the pits and pit garages if the crews were good with it. I even got to do a paced three lap run of the full track although speeds where constrained and passing not allowed (I got to hit around a hundred or so a couple of times by creating a gap and running up into it through a couple of the curves). They requested donations for that.

For most events the pits are pretty throughly restricted unless you buy the expensive AC'ed seating above them. Of course they are on the inside of the track which is restricted in general. This event has a "private pit walk" for PCA members at some point (sounds like you are supervised) and you can sign up for a few controlled laps.

If you do come to a race, try to get one the reserved premium seats that have real seat backs and aren't packed so tightly together. For F1, these are too expensive for me (in the thousands) but for the other events they are normally in the low hundred dollar range. I prefer getting a seat high in grandstand 15 where you get a good line of sight through some winding curves where a lot of position jockeying occurs. I also recommend walking the outside of the track to different observation points at times just to get some variety, especially in a series like this weekend. There is only one cut across just next to grandstand 15 to the far side of the track, so such a walk can be a long one.

Not really answering your questions, but one last observation: If you can find a race that is running the shortened course (like MotoGP in 2013), you get about twice the watching action where ever you sit. The long course is 3.4 miles around and at the start of a race there is a lot of dead space waiting for cars to come back around.
That's great info! Sounds like maybe Daytona is the wild wild west! EVERYTHING happens on the infield...almost zero crowd on the front stretch. And there were a $hitload of people in the garages and pits. We had credentials my buddy with Sprint got us, but we were by no means alone. I should upload some pics and video of our trip last year! Freaking standing at the entrance of pit road with DP and GTLM cars practically running over our feet, revving engines, people waving their arms to get out of the way, blowing whistles, drivers and pit guys in fire suits running around, cars would hit get out of the gate for practice and bounce it off the rev limiter right in our face! It was f-ing nuts! And we will be going back in January!

I do have Road Atlanta on the radar. God I hope I can make down there for that! All the regular classes plus GT3 and something I REALLY enjoyed seeing in the past, the Lamborghini Trofeo race.

You guys have fun at COTA...super jealous...you're going to see some great stuff! Just that 919 viewing would be worth the trip!

Quick Reply: Lone Star Le Mans (Who's with me!?)