Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What performance improvement can I expect with an IPD plenum?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 AM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What performance improvement can I expect with an IPD plenum?

I am considering swapping out the original plenum for an IPD plenum on my 2007 997.1s. What performance/torque increase is real? I'm not talking yada yada claims from a distributor's web site.

Has anyone done this mod & experienced favorable results? Not looking to add a placebo.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 AM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the IPD Plenum on my 2005 C2. I didn't bother to go get a baseline dyno before install, don't really care about the numbers. My shop did the install and calibration procedure. That first drive home I absolutely could feel the difference, the revs moved noticeably quicker from 5k-7k. I had to readjust my driving as the shift points came up quicker. You'll mostly notice it under WOT which is when the motor needs the extra air.

After a couple thousand miles the increased performance becomes the new baseline you get use to. Thats why modding is addictive.

Bottom line is, yes I could feel a benefit from it and would do it again.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I did mine and although didn't dyno it I swear I can hear and feel a difference. Of course I did the SharkWerks CM bypass first! I will say the car idles a little less smooth now. It definitely looks cooler than that black plastic! I was impressed with the quality machining and design, especially internally. And I have a DI 9A1 engine. GL.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The plenum is nice but you need to go a bit further to get significant benefits. Suggestion: start w cats, headers mufflers (cats do most of the improvement). I've had full AWE system in for 7 years now. With the IPD Racing Plenum add GT3 throttle body. Mix well. Now finish it off with ecu upgrade (Revo is nice). I found that the main improvement (and it is significant) is in midrange torque. Car pulls much harder in 3000-5500 range, esp usable in 3rd gear on the road. Top end is still good and there may be a small herd of extra horses up there but that is less usable most of the time. Best improvement: more smiles per mile.

Plenum is a fine piece that does it's best work in conjunction with other good aftermarket kit. I doubt Kenny at IPD would disagree. Have fun
Old 09-17-2014, 05:31 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I did a complete tune on my 04 3.6 which was a complete SS free flow exhaust system, a K&N air intake system, an IPD plenum, a REVO stage 2 ecu. The difference was fantastic, Completely changed the car. I dont know what the IPD did for that system but I feel it increased the top end air flow if anything. I would do it the same way again and not change anything
Old 09-17-2014, 07:29 PM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Exactly what my expectations are...more responsive, increased midrange torque & added enjoyment!

Last edited by PC's 997S; 09-17-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
The plenum is nice but you need to go a bit further to get significant benefits. Suggestion: start w cats, headers mufflers (cats do most of the improvement). I've had full AWE system in for 7 years now. With the IPD Racing Plenum add GT3 throttle body. Mix well. Now finish it off with ecu upgrade (Revo is nice). I found that the main improvement (and it is significant) is in midrange torque. Car pulls much harder in 3000-5500 range, esp usable in 3rd gear on the road. Top end is still good and there may be a small herd of extra horses up there but that is less usable most of the time. Best improvement: more smiles per mile.

Plenum is a fine piece that does it's best work in conjunction with other good aftermarket kit. I doubt Kenny at IPD would disagree. Have fun
Couldn't have said it better. I've got the full AWE system and GT3 TB as well. Also X-51 airbox, 3rd rad, etc.

OP- in time, get an exhaust system (headers, cats, mufflers) and a good intake, air flow is key. You always want your car to breathe at its best. The IPD Plenum helps the car to do this. Make sure to couple it with said modifications and even a larger throttle body in due time. I promise it makes a difference
Old 09-17-2014, 11:49 PM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Perk10
Couldn't have said it better. I've got the full AWE system and GT3 TB as well. Also X-51 airbox, 3rd rad, etc.

OP- in time, get an exhaust system (headers, cats, mufflers) and a good intake, air flow is key. You always want your car to breathe at its best. The IPD Plenum helps the car to do this. Make sure to couple it with said modifications and even a larger throttle body in due time. I promise it makes a difference

Thanks Perk10...I'm starting to become an addict with modding my car. I will probably do cats & consider the throttle body for next spring.

The plenum will be installed tomorrow...looking forward to seeing how much of a throttle difference the additional air flow will provide.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PC's 997S
Thanks Perk10...I'm starting to become an addict with modding my car. I will probably do cats & consider the throttle body for next spring.

The plenum will be installed tomorrow...looking forward to seeing how much of a throttle difference the additional air flow will provide.
Congrats! You'll feel an immediate increase in throttle response down low IMO.

Quick Reply: What performance improvement can I expect with an IPD plenum?