Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting into 1st gear getting worse. Any adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Getting into 1st gear getting worse. Any adjustment?

2009 C2S coupe, manual, 64K miles

OK, this notchy 1st gear thing was classic Porsche "charm", but now it is getting annoying. Same issue I had with my Boxster and a common annoyance. From neutral, stopped.... won't go into 1st. Gotta double clutch and or spin up the revs and or pop it in 2nd then back... then goes in.

This used to happen rarely, but now is happening with increased frequency. Still not often, but of course it happens when the light turns green and someone hits me with their horn (the north-east just gushes with love).

Is there some adjustments? Cables need to be tightened?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

There are adjustments but the adjustments won't help with this problem.

I would double check the transmission-side of the cables to make sure they're not popping out of the mounts slightly. Mine were popping out and causing some binding. Solved with heavy duty zip ties.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Bruce, have a look below at an old thread I posted in last year. Similar problems on mine, although it culminated with refusing to engage reverse AT ALL!. Thankfully I was in our garage and not a parking lot. Bottom line is though I'm guessing a simple cable adjustment at the base of the shift lever will solve your problems. Still perfect shifting/engagement to this day on mine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post10677268
Old 09-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is like that, was before the shift cable broke, same after it was replaced. All my stick BMW's were like that too. Never had it with Toyota or Volvo sticks.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:41 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Bruce, have a look below at an old thread I posted in last year. Similar problems on mine, although it culminated with refusing to engage reverse AT ALL!. Thankfully I was in our garage and not a parking lot. Bottom line is though I'm guessing a simple cable adjustment at the base of the shift lever will solve your problems. Still perfect shifting/engagement to this day on mine.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post10677268
My first gear is getting harder to shift into. My indy mechanic said that's normal, but it seems to be getting worse.

AWay--I looked at your other post and your great photos, but cannot tell what you adjusted or how. Is it obvious when you get in uncer the console?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Assuming it is not a cable adjustment, might it be a worn release bearing? Do you often hold the clutch pedal down at traffic lights? This can accelerate wear.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Assuming it is not a cable adjustment, might it be a worn release bearing? Do you often hold the clutch pedal down at traffic lights? This can accelerate wear.
Where is the release bearing? Is it a DIY project (without removing the transmission)?
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mwolfe
Where is the release bearing? Is it a DIY project (without removing the transmission)?
The release bearing is what holds the clutch open pushing the clutch pedal. It is part of the complete clutch assembly. It is a wear item and does not last as long when the clutch pedal is pushed needlessly like when waiting for the traffic light to turn green or holding the car on a hill while in first gear. It will also wear quickly if one uses the clutch pedal as a foot rest.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

The release bearing is what holds the clutch open pushing the clutch pedal. It is part of the complete clutch assembly. It is a wear item and does not last as long when the clutch pedal is pushed needlessly like when waiting for the traffic light to turn green or holding the car on a hill while in first gear. It will also wear quickly if one uses the clutch pedal as a foot rest.
What does the clutch's throwout bearing have to do with shifting a gear?!? If it did, when parked it would affect all gears. Worn throwout bearings become noisy and ultimately affect clutch function, nit shifting.

To the OP: look for bushing wear at the shift mechanism and at the transmission. Look also at cable movement, checking for binding.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by mwolfe
My first gear is getting harder to shift into. My indy mechanic said that's normal, but it seems to be getting worse.

AWay--I looked at your other post and your great photos, but cannot tell what you adjusted or how. Is it obvious when you get in uncer the console?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike, if you look closely the shift cables have a threaded attachment closest to the shift ****. When you pull back the spring/shroud you can see the threads more clearly but you simply spin the threaded part left or right and then release the spring/shroud and it locks back in place. Hope it helps a little but it's more difficult to describe than to actually perform. If you were face to face with the cables it would be quite self explanatory. You can do it!
Old 09-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ADias
What does the clutch's throwout bearing have to do with shifting a gear?!? If it did, when parked it would affect all gears. Worn throwout bearings become noisy and ultimately affect clutch function, nit shifting.

To the OP: look for bushing wear at the shift mechanism and at the transmission. Look also at cable movement, checking for binding.
A worn release bearing will result in a dragging clutch which will definitely be more noticeable when trying to get into first gear and possible shifting into second. It would be less noticeable when shifting in higher gears under normal driving until it really wears down. Ever **** without using a clutch. Relatively easy in the higher gears.... not so much in the lower gears.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:59 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since install F1 motor mounts and transmission insert I have no issues getting into first gear. I didn't have a big problem problem prior to the new parts, but it did happen from time to time.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Have you done a trans gear lube service yet with Porsche 75W90? What about a proper brake fluid flush? I thought the brake fluid is a shared system with the clutch fluid?? These might help.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Mike, if you look closely the shift cables have a threaded attachment closest to the shift ****. When you pull back the spring/shroud you can see the threads more clearly but you simply spin the threaded part left or right and then release the spring/shroud and it locks back in place. Hope it helps a little but it's more difficult to describe than to actually perform. If you were face to face with the cables it would be quite self explanatory. You can do it!
+1... I've installed and removed my fair share of shifters: the Porsche stock shifter, a B&M, and ultimately the Numeric shifter then back and forth just for experimentation sake. I've played with all all of these shifters enough during install and tear downs that I'm convinced... adjusting the cable length has a significant impact towards the 1st gear shift issue that is considered "normal". FWIW, my Numeric shifter is set for the most aggressive/shortest height and I have no issues going into 1st gear after 66K+ miles.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

That's good to hear about the cable adjustment. But this spooks me a little. It sounds familiar:

A worn release bearing will result in a dragging clutch which will definitely be more noticeable when trying to get into first gear and possible shifting into second. It would be less noticeable when shifting in higher gears under normal driving until it really wears down. Ever **** without using a clutch. Relatively easy in the higher gears.... not so much in the lower gears.

Quick Reply: Getting into 1st gear getting worse. Any adjustment?