Sponsored by:

Car won't go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
western32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't go into reverse

Gang, my 05 997 (non-s) all of a sudden won't go into reverse. All other gear seam fine. I physically can't get the gear shifter to go into the reverse position. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

My guess is that the shifter cable linkage has come loose either a) under the car because one of the clips which holds the cable in place broke or b) at the shifter in the renter console. Odds are that it is the connection under the car.

This happened recently to a guy on the 996 Forum and it was the clip which holds the cable in place under the car. He used a heavy duty zip tie to secure it until he could get a replacement clip.

Here is a link to that thread on the 996 Forum.

Lost Reverse and 1st Gear
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Assume this to be the 6-speed.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you determine the cause of not being able to get the car into reverse?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
western32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cable linkage was out of whack. Thanks for your replies.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:44 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Same problem, my experience.

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to update with my recent experience. My car has had a B&M short shifter installed since I purchased it and I always felt reverse was a little notchy and difficult to engage. I just assumed it was the natural character of the B&M. Well much to my dismay earlier this week the car simply would no longer go into reverse at all! I could push the stick to the left but it refused to go up regardless of what I tried. Clutch in, clutch out, go through all the other gears, roll the car forward, etc... Nothing. Fortunately the car was in the garage at the time!

I did some quick research online and came across various threads (including this one) indicating it may be a cable adjustment issue at the shifter or perhaps also a broken cable under the car. Sure enough, after removing the console and adjusting the blue cable just the smallest amount, (maybe an eighth of an inch) it works like a dream. Even better than it did before! Even first gear is less notchy, which I'm assuming had something to do with the mal-adjusted cable as well.

So there you have it. Should your car ever lose the ability to shift into reverse, no need for panic! All that's needed is a relatively simple cable adjustment.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Translog (06-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Car won't go into reverse