997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 carrera S problem

Old 08-29-2014, 03:13 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Seems too suspicious. I wonder if the previous owner did UOA and then dumped the car on the dealership when they noticed spikes in the metals.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 AM
mwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
Seems too suspicious. I wonder if the previous owner did UOA and then dumped the car on the dealership when they noticed spikes in the metals.
UOA?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwolfe
UOA?
Used Oil Analysis ?
Old 08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I am still unclear as to what caused this engine failure - other than some references about Liquid Death, a disheartening photo, and some reassurances it will all be made ok by the shop. Instead of some cryptic teasers, it would be great to share the knowledge..

Last edited by gripshifter; 08-29-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Condolences to the OP; I'd say use of the word "problem" in the thread title is being kind...

I too feel the cryptic nature of certain posts would be a whole lot more informative if jargon was eliminated for us lay folk...
Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me sum up what've I've heard so far:

1) Yes, these engines are time bombs

2) The oil change interval is too high

3) 0W-40 from Mobile is liquid death -- substitute with 5W-40 from >insert Motul or some other manufacturer<.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
Let me sum up what've I've heard so far:

1) Yes, these engines are time bombs

2) The oil change interval is too high

3) 0W-40 from Mobile is liquid death -- substitute with 5W-40 from >insert Motul or some other manufacturer<.

1) I don't think so.
2) Yes, too high. I change every 5,000 miles.
3) Spelled M-O-B-I-L. It's a fine oil. Are there better? Sure. I use one that I think is better.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Thats not sludge. Its chunks of metal debris from the failure. My guess is this engine has been religiously lubricated with liquid death at the recommended intervals, which are far from adequate.

Just another normal day at the Morgue, here at Flat 6.

This is more than a spun bearing, it may have started as that, but now the collateral damage exceeds the damage caused by the primary failure.

No biggie. We've got it... I wouldn't know what to do if we saw a car actually drive into the facility that could be repaired in one day, or wasn't scattered to bits.. We've had ONE elective build in the last 40 engines here.

"Just another normal day at the morgue"...

Well...it certainly looks like an autopsy...I think if anything it just goes to show that one will never fully know how these previously owned cars were driven, treated & maintained by the owners.

But that can be any previously owned anything...

I still love my car & will drive it the way it was intended! It's only the most iconic sports car in the world.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

This is sometimes why during a PPI you pull the oil filter and inspect, and drop the pan and inspect.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

That's why I buy new!!

Tom
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
1) I don't think so.
2) Yes, too high. I change every 5,000 miles.
3) Spelled M-O-B-I-L. It's a fine oil. Are there better? Sure. I use one that I think is better.
I was just summing up what Flat6 was basically eluding to.

I have my own opinions about these engines and oil and such. Too many variables have not been controlled for to make any scientific conclusions.

It concerns me though. Anecdotal evidence is powerful and can trigger emotions, and even if the % is low, it's not like I am concerned that I might be the 1 of 100 that gets slapped with a $3500 trans problem. It's the 20k dollar-plus problem that makes it different. I do the following to eliminate all variables:

>more frequent oil changes
>Absolutely no hard (or even close) running until engine and oil temp are fully up
>I always run my engine until oil temp exceeds 212 and long enough to burn off water
>I prefer keeping revs over 3k RPM and routinely wind out my engine.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,405 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyf
IMHO, this is very possible. However, once you are in the "failed engine club" like me, you tend to meet and hear about it more. I talked to more than a few folks who had failures and including my indy, who used to be shop foreman at a P dealer, the stories are all similar in that these things just blow with no warning. Both of my failures were pretty darn bang.

When my first engine blew, many asked the same questions and some refused to believe I didn't abuse the engine in some way. I tried countering these accusations (reasonable ones) by describing my meticulous maintenance but to no avail. Even after my 2nd engine blew, showing that I was on my original clutch at 197K miles still did not convince folks that I was not an abuser.

But to your point, these things just blow. My first one made noise for about 2 miles of driving... then kapoot. The second one jerked the car a few times and then froze. Mabey an oil analysis would have predicted, but I suspect that would not be the case as these failures happen on critical parts that are moving around under speed and pressure.

Good assumption, but the failure stories of these engines over the last 15 years or so don't point to good predictive approaches.

I know it is emotional and no one wants to believe their car may be next.... but...... Porsche really blew it 1997 when they were in trouble and kept it going for 10 years. This isn't the first time senior officers risked brand reputation for short-term profits.... think Jaques Nassar at Ford... my Ford friend told me when he took over, he ripped out Q/A and ordered engineers to design for warranty. Seeing what kind of person Wendelin Wiedeking turned out to be kinda makes sense..... hmmmm....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

OP... condolences re the engine/car and especially re how the p-dealer and Porsche is treating you. Thank you for sharing your experience and please continue to keep us posted re the root cause and resulting resolution. By chance was the car maintained with oil changes every 20K miles as proscribe by Porsche for the 05-07 model 997's. It's interesting that for the '08 MY 997 Porsche changed the interval to 12K miles. Still too long IMO... Anyways it would be great to gain some insight re the root cause of this SNAFU. Please also let us know which p-dealer to avoid. Best of luck.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
That's why I buy new!!

Tom

I understand Tom...the only issue with that premise is if there were no used Porsche demand (buyers looking for previously owned cars) we would all have worthless cars.

And, how many folks bought NEW 996 vehicles & had them die due to engine failure? There was no guarantee there.

It's unfortunate that the OP is in this position...regardless of the problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:19 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
IMHO, this is very possible. However, once you are in the "failed engine club" like me, you tend to meet and hear about it more. I talked to more than a few folks who had failures and including my indy, who used to be shop foreman at a P dealer, the stories are all similar in that these things just blow with no warning. Both of my failures were pretty darn bang.

When my first engine blew, many asked the same questions and some refused to believe I didn't abuse the engine in some way. I tried countering these accusations (reasonable ones) by describing my meticulous maintenance but to no avail. Even after my 2nd engine blew, showing that I was on my original clutch at 197K miles still did not convince folks that I was not an abuser.

But to your point, these things just blow. My first one made noise for about 2 miles of driving... then kapoot. The second one jerked the car a few times and then froze. Mabey an oil analysis would have predicted, but I suspect that would not be the case as these failures happen on critical parts that are moving around under speed and pressure.

Good assumption, but the failure stories of these engines over the last 15 years or so don't point to good predictive approaches.

I know it is emotional and no one wants to believe their car may be next.... but...... Porsche really blew it 1997 when they were in trouble and kept it going for 10 years. This isn't the first time senior officers risked brand reputation for short-term profits.... think Jaques Nassar at Ford... my Ford friend told me when he took over, he ripped out Q/A and ordered engineers to design for warranty. Seeing what kind of person Wendelin Wiedeking turned out to be kinda makes sense..... hmmmm....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce - just to clarify, you are referring to your 2 blown engines from a 2000 Boxster, not a 997, correct? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 carrera S problem