Sponsored by:

possible 997 owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible 997 owner questions

I have owned 4 911's, all air-cooled, and I am looking to move into a 997... few questions about a car that I am considering.

06' 4S 60K+ miles, 6 spd manual with short shift, sport seats, Tubi Exhaust, etc.

When I test drove the car the clutch pedal felt overly heavy. My 993 had a LWF so maybe not the same as what a 997 should feel like, but this clutch was heavy. It honestly hurt the bottom of my foot when sitting at a light. Should I be concerned about the clutch?

IMS has not been done. RMS has not either. Nor water pump...

Also, the 60K mile service has not been done, and the dealer said that they would not do it...I could pay for it at their cost of $1600. What else should I consider, look at on these cars since they are different animals then the air-cooled cars I know?

Thanks in advance for your help here.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The clutch is firm and far from light, but shouldn't hurt the bottom of your foot...

...although maybe it would hurt mine if I was holding the pedal down at a light. I never hold the clutch pedal down. I depress the pedal when it's time to shift. I sit at lights in neutral. I'm bearing friendly.

When you engage the clutch in first (by lifting the pedal), is the engagement harsh and hard to modulate?

I drove my sister's BRZ and my left foot almost when through the floor into the road, because the 997 pedal is quite firm... and my leg was ready for some strong resistance. My BMW was firm, and when I switched from the 997 to the BMW, the BMW felt like a flyweight.

You have an upgraded IMS bearing... and RMS is sorted by 2006, too (someone double check my last comment)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

60k service will be belts and pulleys, have the plugs been swapped? Water pump should also be done but some let them start to show seepage.

I think it's a little petty of the dealer to not do the required service on a car they're trying to sell. It tells me that they have little vested interest and just want to dump it on someone.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrison
I have owned 4 911's, all air-cooled, and I am looking to move into a 997... few questions about a car that I am considering.

06' 4S 60K+ miles, 6 spd manual with short shift, sport seats, Tubi Exhaust, etc.

When I test drove the car the clutch pedal felt overly heavy. My 993 had a LWF so maybe not the same as what a 997 should feel like, but this clutch was heavy. It honestly hurt the bottom of my foot when sitting at a light. Should I be concerned about the clutch?

IMS has not been done. RMS has not either. Nor water pump...

Also, the 60K mile service has not been done, and the dealer said that they would not do it...I could pay for it at their cost of $1600. What else should I consider, look at on these cars since they are different animals then the air-cooled cars I know?

Thanks in advance for your help here.
What's the asking price? The clutch is self adjusting on that car and tends to firm up as it wears so add that to the rest you have to spend. That said, I have to say I would have second thoughts about buying from a dealer that refuses to do a 60,000 mile service on a car with 60,000 miles on the clock. If you're still moving forward, make sure you get a DME printout and make sure what you get is from the car you're looking at.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

I was very surprised at how heavy the clutch is when I got my 4S. Has felt the same from 18k to 50k. I agree that if a dealer wouldn't do a 60k service, they are hiding something. I would walk away from it. Plenty of other cars out there...hopefully with options and features you want.

I also don't sit at a light with clutch in. My foot hurts if I do. Try and avoid heavy traffic times to stay off that clutch. LOL
Old 08-27-2014, 12:08 AM
nabenson
6th Gear

The IMS is upgraded from 2006 through the end of .1 production. You don't replace them they are already "upgraded".

If the RMS isn't leaking there isn't any reason to replace it.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Dealer is asking in the mid $40's for the car, and from what I have seen recently I think it is priced fairly, but maybe a little high.

Sandwedge, thanks for the note about the DME report, I forgot that you can get those on these cars.

As for IMS, I thought that even though it is upgraded, there have still been failures? I don't want to open that can of worms again, but that has been a concern of mine...just like on the old 3.2's I always made sure to buy one with the top end done. Piece of mind.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:21 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrison
As for IMS, I thought that even though it is upgraded, there have still been failures? I don't want to open that can of worms again, but that has been a concern of mine...just like on the old 3.2's I always made sure to buy one with the top end done. Piece of mind.
If the car has the upgraded bearing (it should if its a 2006), it cannot be replaced without splitting the case.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea upgraded bearing not serviceable. If there have been failures with the upgraded bearing , it is very few. I have heard that if the clutch pedal is too firm then the clutch probably needs to be changed. Also another reason the dealer doesn't want to do the service (would probably find it needs changed).
Old 08-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

Alright, I will push them on the 60K mile service and see if they budge. If not... there are other cars to chase.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently went from an 86 911 with a mechanical clutch on the 915 tranny to a 997S and I initially thought this was the lightest, easiest performance car clutch Ive ever used, although Ive grown used to it now and I enjoy the relatively light feel. Ive been told they get heavy as they are wearing out.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

this is just my 2c but this seems to be over priced. I paid mid 40's for an 07 S 45k miles with CPO in a private deal 2 years ago.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
this is just my 2c but this seems to be over priced. I paid mid 40's for an 07 S 45k miles with CPO in a private deal 2 years ago.
I agree that it may be overpriced, mid 40's is more of a 40k mi car, not a 60k mi+ car with deferred maintenance. The cost will hit $50 with the 60k service and clutch etc...

But unfortunately (or fortunately if you purcahsed 2+ years ago), prices on 997.1's arent much lower than they were 2 years ago.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

I agree that the price on this car is somewhat high, and I am working to get it below $40K with the 60K mile service. We will see how much they are willing to work with me for a sale.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
JSE997
7th Gear

I actually just purchased an 06 with 60k on it and the dealer would not perform the service either. Their reasoning was because I bought from a MB dealership and it was a trade in. I also thought the clutch was firmer than most I have been used to but after putting a few thousand miles on it I don't see any issues with it. Mine's a C2 Cab so I'm not sure what the increase to a C4S would be but I'd say mid-40s is a little high since mine was upper 20s.

Quick Reply: possible 997 owner questions