Sponsored by:

Sequeal to "bar of soap"

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Sequeal to "bar of soap"

Apparently the noise made by the bar of soap, wasnt the only sound coming from the car.
There still is this noise that you can hear whenpassing through small lines- gaps on cemented roads. Wpthe car does not evenloose compsure but that nagging sound is there....what could it be?
Old 08-23-2014, 11:56 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a tooth brush?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:56 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you have tread wear noise you are hearing. either that or you have wheel bearing going bad.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hi sidwin, these are interesting comments. The tires are practically new....bearings, from my knowledge of bearing wear, the sound simply is different, a rattling sound. The difficult thing is it comes out when the car passes small almost unnoticeable gaps on the road. The speed bumps, big holes does not recreate the nagging sound, will a bad shock mount couse this. Ive lifted the car removed the covers underneath, shook the links, tie rods, control arm and actually moved the wheel up and down side to side. No evidence of looseness! Anywhere! I will continue to hunt down loose items. Could be as dan said items under the seat. Toys my kids left behind.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Slicky...I've told you before to sell this car! ;-) I've never known of someone with more problems with a Porsche. Sell sell sell!
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Apparently the noise made by the bar of soap, wasnt the only sound coming from the car.
There still is this noise that you can hear whenpassing through small lines- gaps on cemented roads. Wpthe car does not evenloose compsure but that nagging sound is there....what could it be?
Encountering expansion joints can be an eye opener with these cars. There is a section of east bound 50 highway east of Lee's Summit MO that was particularly bad with expansion joints.

Be sure the tires are not overinflated but beyond that my only advice would be to try to avoid the roads with the bad expansion joints.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Slicky...I've told you before to sell this car! ;-) I've never known of someone with more problems with a Porsche. Sell sell sell!
+911.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:57 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Well like a sick child we should love love love more....
Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Mac, your the second guy to mentione tires. Never hear of tire noise but i sure will give it a try. I think the pss' s can be rotated side to side as it more of having which side is outside. Will try this first before replacing any part.
Having these problems with a car and being able to find the source and fix it is part of the pleasure of owning it. Besides the driving, the maintenace and repair are the ones that make car ownership unique.
Mac, will silicone spray damage rubber bushing joints? I intend to spray some joints with silicone and hoping i would be able to isolate the defective part. I dont want to just replace and replace parts on a hit or miss thing. Rather do some good diagnosing. By the way noise was not there before.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Iv also read of loose brake pads. Anybody care to share how this happens and how its remedied? Rusted brake discs have anything to do with this?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

How many miles are on your car? What year? Do you like your car?

These cars are very tightly sprung and the control arm bushing wear out. You will get odd clunks and rattles and noises travel through the metal parts and appear to be coming from phantom locations. The bushings are generally thinner/harder than the average passenger sedan. The cost and joy of this is increased road feel but at the cost of earlier than expected failure and noise transmission. If you are sensitive to all of this, maybe a performance sedan is more to your style?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-24-2014, 07:20 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hi bruce , 2010, 35k km and yes i do love my p car. Its my baby and when she is sick she needs tender loving care.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Need more info. Does it happen when moving fast? slow? clicking? klunking? Hrumping? In gear and out of gear? Maybe shut the engine off at speed and coast to see if it happens as well.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

it is noticeable when moving slowly over expansion joints. like something loose and hitting the bumper, it also sounds like its coming from the front. when one hears it it happens when the front tires run over something. dont think its related to the engine or drivetrain. i dont think its also related to anything in the steering because with the engine off and you turn the wheel back and forth, there is no play and noise. so this is a bit of an exciting treasure hunt.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you sure it,s not just other smaller debris caught up in the under tray ( under body covers ) like your soap bar .......Eg rocks or peddles rattleing..........????

Quick Reply: Sequeal to "bar of soap"